Page 14 of 35 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal (Pineneedles) page 14

Pineneedles is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Successful fast day yesterday. A liquid fast in fact! Black coffee, herbal tea and water throughout the day, miso soup at dinnertime, cup of tea with milk at bedtime.

Exercise: Short run 2.5 miles this morning. Went slowly but was happy that I’d managed to get myself out of bed at all. Really feeling the autumn chill this morning. At least it's not raining today. Hate the thought that it's going to be cold again for months and months. Need to consider that gym membership - would be lovely to be able to use a sauna on cold mornings.

Breakfast: Coffee with milk, roast carrots, three boiled eggs, pumpkin hummus, piece of dark chocolate. Weird combo of foods but there wasn’t much in the fridge.
    Lunch: Sardines in olive oil, lettuce with shredded beetroot, cherry tomatoes, radishes, a fig. (Didn't fancy the look of the canteen salad bar and thought I could do better in tesco ... certainly did. All the salad cost the same as a small salad bar box and there's easily enough for a second large portion.)
    Dinner: Soba noodles with aubergine, carrots, sesame seeds, soy sauce/vinegar/ginger/garlic/palm sugar dressing. Not ideal but I needed something quick, saw the recipe and wanted to try. OK but too sweet. Next time without the sugar and with some protein. And will roast the garlic - raw clove of garlic has left an aftertaste that just won't go!

Goals:
    No Snacks: Almost success, finished the last little bit of pumpkin hummus while cooking, though.

Meat, eggs, fish (goal 225-450g): 230g
    Starches (goal 450g): 450g is probably about right
    Root veg and fruit (goal 450g): 350g
    Other veg (goal 450g): 400g.

Not bad. Calories left for a pint of beer or a glass of wine - off to the pub for a friend's jazz gig.
    Last edited by Pineneedles; 09-10-2013 at 11:50 AM.

Feeling tired today. Didn't get enough sleep - didn't get home until midnight, so just 7 hours and that's interrupted with cat waking me up at 5.

Breakfast: 3 boiled eggs, 2 figs with greek yogurt. Coffee with milk. Small piece of dark chocolate.
    Snack: 1 small piece of milk chocolate. Office sweets again! I'm not going to have another one and am on the mindfulness lookout for further cravings...
    Lunch: Tin of sardines, babaganoush, lettuce, grated beetroot, tomatoes, radishes.
    Dinner: Roast lamb (leftovers from the freezer), sauteed leeks, potatoes, carrots and swede with butter. Super dooper tasty. Also a bit of curtido. Piece of dark chocolate.

Did my bodyweight exercises: 15 x chair-assisted pull-ups, 25 x knee push-ups, 10 x one-legged squats each leg, 2 mins plank, 45 seconds side planks. This has really tired my arms out, I can barely type!

Goals:
    No Snacks: Almost success, had that one piece of chocolate at work but it stopped there. Well done me!

Meat, eggs, fish (goal 225-450g): 330g
    Starches (goal 450g): 100g
    Root veg and fruit (goal 450g): 380g
    Other veg (goal 450g): 568g.
    Pretty good! Could have had more potatoes.
    Last edited by Pineneedles; 09-11-2013 at 11:57 AM.

Fasting today. So far just black coffee at breakfast, herbal tea and water through the morning, did have a regular tea with a splash of milk just now. We had a lunchtime presentation at work, luckily no actual lunch was provided, so that took me smoothly through the lunch break!

Going to have my full 500kcal for dinner, something fairly carby, either rice or potatoes with eggs and beef stock I think, to make sure I have some energy stores for tomorrow. Going to Brecon Beacons and will attempt to hike from the train station to the B&B which is 20 miles and further than I've ever walked in a day.. It's along a canal path though so flat and even, and we'll be walking roughly alongside a bus route so if it's too much we can give up and wait for the bus.

Horseriding on Saturday morning, further hiking on Saturday afternoon perhaps, up a mountain if possible, back to London on Sunday. Weather doesn't look great but hope it will be tolerable. At least we're not camping this time so can dry up in the B&B and have a hot bath.

The weekend's eating will largely revolve around full Welsh breakfasts, hiking snacks and pub food but I'll make the best choices available and all the hiking and riding should take care of the extra calories.

Livlytique is offline Senior Member
    That sounds like a lot of fun! Good luck with the walk, should only be 5 hours or so once you've conquered 20 miles you might want to consider something like WalkTheWalk next year, I've done it twice now and it's a great challenge (obviously for a good cause too). Ah and horse riding, haven't done that since I was a little girl, I'm really jealous. Can feel autumn arriving... it's time for these glorious out-in-nature activities

OK, we didn't walk the 20 miles. That was probably a bit overambitious in the first place! Walked around 8 miles on the canal path, then it started to rain, and we made the decision to walk back to the nearest town and get the bus from there. Just as well that we did as the rain kept getting heavier towards the evening and my BF hadn't brought a change of trousers (I have no idea what he was thinking, he is usually the sensible one! They weren't even hiking trousers!) so if he had got soaked he would have been in wet trousers for the rest of the weekend.

Horse riding was fun. We went very slowly because one of the group had never ridden before but it was a really nice relaxing way of seeing the Welsh countryside. Funnily though we'd managed to pick exactly the same hillside to climb by foot earlier in the day, so did the same route twice, once on foot, once on horseback. Never mind, it was a very nice hill! I wonder if I'd like to take more riding lessons and learn to go a bit faster again. I also used to have lessons as a child but feel like a beginner again now.

Today is meant to be a fast day but I admit I've had a couple of biscuits. They were really tasty but really haven't helped!

Haha 8 miles is still a great effort! Sounds like a really lovely weekend, I've only been to Wales once, ridiculous really. I've spent a fair amount of time in Scotland, which has some fantastic scenery and beautiful walks; also, randomly, you can find some incredible deserted beaches right up as far north as you can go, and they're actually pretty warm in summer!

I think you're outdoorsy weekend counteracts the biscuits

Aagh. Had a gluten-free bread (don't ask), chocolate, dates binge last night when I got home. So apparently it's a bad idea to have a fasting day eating nothing but a few biscuits! Who knew!!

I'm not even going to journal what I've eaten but trying to get back on track. Really don't feel like getting back on track. The weather has got colder and wetter and I'm fed up with being at work, it's only Tuesday, and I have a driving test on Thursday followed by a work party neither of which I'm not looking forward to at all. Wish I could just sleep through the rest of the week and not have to do anything at all.

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    I am with ya on that! Hope the week starts to look better soon.

Oh no, come on, the weather might be rubbish but this means amazing one-pot wonder food, stews, soups, winter veg...mmmm! Plus winter clothes are way more fun, layering! And you get to snuggle in bed with your boyfriend and watch films or read a good book.... I think I'm better suited to winter!

I hope your driving test went well yesterday and you're feeling happier. Have a lovely weekend!

Page 14 of 35 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast