Page 13 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal (Pineneedles) page 13

Pineneedles is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Fasting today. After the double trifle evening it is needed! Weight has been a stable 58.5 this week despite all the sugar.

I've signed up for a tribal belly dancing improvisation class starting next Monday! I am not the most spontaneous of people so this will put me well out of my comfort zone but hope will be fun. It will be good to have a scheduled exercise class in the diary, too, as it's hard to motivate myself to just go and do stuff otherwise. Haven't got much exercise in this week and the weather forecast for the weekend isn't good. May try to go for a swim after work today. It could be the last hot day of the summer.

Livlytique is offline Senior Member
    Hi Pineneedles

Just wanted to say I've enjoyed your journal so far, you sound very similar to me in what you're trying to achieve and so on. I'm going to keep reading! Also thanks for inspiring me to try an Asian soup last night when the boyfriend came over - money is a pretty big concern at the mo and I'm always looking for primal meals to make on a budget that will satisfy both of us since I can't just fall back on old school pasta pesto (he knows I'm gluten-free but I haven't talked too much about primal to him yet). If it had just been me eating I wouldn't have put the rice noodles in, but have to give him something familiar and beige! I name-checked you on my journal

Looking at your food diary, I wonder if you eat enough?! I know, not really my place to say, but it's hard for me to gauge how big your portions are and it often sounds like you just eat a plate of veggies and not a lot of meat... Also I notice you eat a lot of potatoes, which I tend to steer clear from. So I guess I'm just curious what is your food intake based on? Are you gluten-free but not 'beige carb' free, what are your 'rules'?

We definitely seem to have the same issues when it comes to treats in the office, I literally have ZERO will power when someone brings in a massive Toblerone post-holiday, plus I'm in advertising where salesmen are always bringing in bacon sarnies or cupcakes. I'm desperately trying to get over the thought process of 'well I've had one chocolate so I might as well f*** up the rest of my day's eating'. Weekends are always a big falling-off-the-wagon process with booze and whatnot, which means I've had trouble keeping up with the journalling (as it seems you did too over the last couple of years!), so I'm allowing myself to stress less about Fri-Sun eating as long as I still stay away from the major gluten culprits like pasta, bread and cake, and then follow strict primal eating during the week. Which means if I have chocolate/ice cream/crisps I'm not too harsh on myself, though I'm also trying to sort my skin out so do need to watch these to some extent, especially dairy.

Liv x

EDIT: Sorry I know this is already an essay! But forgot to say, where do you do your life drawing class? I've been looking for a cheap one and North London is my area I don't know how your running is going but I'm in training for a half marathon too....

Hello hello Liv,

Thank you for your lovely message! Glad you enjoyed the soup. Next time I have beef stock I’ll make bo kho (also good with or without noodles).

I’m trying to eat according to Perfect Health Diet guidelines which allow potatoes, rice, and other non-gluten starches as “safe starches”. I get a veg box delivered weekly and it always has potatoes so they’re convenient, I enjoy them and don’t seem to have any problem digesting them. Rice less often, maybe once a week. (I’m not even 100% gluten free and do eat my home made sourdough bread, maybe every 3 weeks, and home made cakes, with the Michael Pollan principle that if I have to put myself through the effort of making it from scratch, at least it won’t happen too often. Which kind of works.)

I was tracking calories throughout August and was close to my aim of 2000 calories on non-fast days and 500 on fast days and losing weight on 5:2 (although very slowly) so I think those numbers are about right. Would be good for more of the calories to come from good whole foods and less from cheats and treats, though.

So my September challenge is to eat closer to the PHD guidelines so that all my meals have meat/fish/eggs, root veg and fruit, other veg and starches as their basis. No seed oils, no added sugars, no gluten (with some exceptions). This is more of a challenge than I expected – have fallen short of the goals every day so far! I think if I did manage to eat as planned, especially the protein element at every meal, I’d be too full to want to snack.

Trying to eat on a budget makes it difficult to afford quality meat so I don’t buy it often. I rely quite a lot on eggs and tinned sardines for my protein, especially during the week, maybe something more expensive (like the gorgeous shawarma slow roast leg of lamb! Ottolenghi wins again) at the weekend.

My office has a strong baking culture for whatever the occasion. We’re restructuring teams soon so I’m kind of hoping the baking will diminish in the new office. I’ve been 100% strict of not having any treats on a fast day but on other days have allowed myself to have some, especially if they’re home made.

(An essay of a response! I’ll PM you with the life drawing class details.)

Fast day went well.

Breakfast - a tbsp or so of cream in my morning coffee, then nothing until just now when I got home,
    Dinner - a small portion of the leftover beef and root vegetable broth, a fig (very ripe!) with greek yogurt and a bit of honey. 473 calories in total.

Went for a swim after work. I hadn't been swimming outdoors all summer (except at the seaside) and it felt good to mark what was quite possibly the last day of summer with a swim. Lovely evening all round. Swimming does make me hungrier than anything else so not ideal for a fast day but feel good now having had my little evening meal. Next, cup of tea, then bedtime.

Having a bit of trouble with the forum today, my first post disappeared into the void. Here goes attempt #2.

Breakfast: Coffee with cream, 3 boiled eggs, tomatoes, red pepper. A banana and a fig with greek yogurt.
    Lunch will be more beef and vegetable broth. Eaten nearly the whole batch now. May also treat myself to a little piece of chocolate. (EDIT had a Lindt Lindor after lunch. Yum!)
    Dinner lamb's liver with merguez spices (as long as I can get liver on the way home) with onions, roast cauliflower, roast new potatoes, roast garlic. EDIT this was the best liver recipe I'd tried yet. Could (and will!) eat this regularly - so nutritious and cheap! Mashed the potatoes instead of roasting them.

This should bring my food really near the goal ratios, and leave calorie allowance for a glass of wine, but will update later.

Goals:
    NO SNACKS: success
    Meat, eggs, fish 225-450g: 433g
    Starches 450g: 300g
    Fruit and root veg 450g: 300g
    Other veg 450g: 500g
    Not bad!

Exercise - nothing on Friday
    Last edited by Pineneedles; 09-09-2013 at 03:30 AM.

Friday eating was great, after that a bit of a downhill turn this weekend.

Saturday:
    B - banana, fig, yogurt, 2 boiled eggs.
    L - Picnic in the park with friends. Rye bread, pumpkin hummus, potato salad, cake. Very carby but more than partially my own fault as I brought the bread, hummus and cake. Drank kir royale and ordinary kir and played cards.
    D - takeaway Indian. Another glass of wine.
    Apart from breakfast, pretty much a list of the foods I have been trying to avoid and very few of the ones I am trying to eat. Was it worth it? Not sure. Put me in a terrible mood on Sunday for sure. Won't even bother to calculate how short of my goals this fell.
    Exercise: Stair sprints x 8, one-legged squats 10 x per leg (these really got to my glutes - will add to routine), knee push ups 2 x 12, plank 2 minutes, side plank 2 x 45 seconds. Didn't do my pull-up practice as my flatmate was in the living room when I was exercising and I forgot/didn't get round to it later.

Sunday:
    B: Pan-fried spicy pork, mashed potato, egg, tomato. Coffee with milk. Cake.
    L: Pumpkin hummus with rye bread.
    S: Cottage cheese.
    D: Roast ham hock, bread dumplings, gravy. This was so incredibly salty. I don't think my boyfriend realised the ham hock had already been cured and rubbed more salt onto it. The salt ran into the bottom of the pan with the juices and the gravy was almost inedibly salty. Also two glasses of wine.

Exercise: Not much, walked around to have a go at geocaching though. Found about half of the ones we looked for.

Evaluation of the whole week: Good effort most days apart from the weekend! Had several portions of bone broth, one portion of liver, a variety of vegetables. Two successful fast days at less than 500kcal. Variety of exercise including swimming outdoors. Not sure if moving slowly added up to the goal of 2.5 hours or not but I would say that including walking around it did.

Weight is way up this morning - 61.3kg! This is almost certainly due to all the salt in last night's dinner. Fast day today so drinking lots of water and herbal tea in the hope of peeing it all out... It's the first belly dancing class tonight which I'm looking forward to and kind of dreading in equal measures.

Ooh have fun at the class tonight, look forward to hearing how it goes!

I'm going to read up on the perfect health diet when I get a chance so I can understand a bit more... sounds like my diet though, I'm being less strict re potatoes/rice/non-gluten starch while I'm getting my head around no caffeine/no gluten/no dairy on week days. And again, we're so similar, my weekend was a massive fail, ate so much birthday cake! But like I said above, I'm stressing less about weekend eating so long as my weekdays are as good as they can be and while I'm doing a fair amount of running. It's more important to me that weekends = quality time with my boyfriend/friends/family, which I believe Mark is all for anyway!

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    I have taken belly dancing classes and they are huge fun, I am jealous, wish I still had access to reasonably priced classes like that.

No reasonably priced classes in London, don't be jealous.....

That's the thing with London ... any kind of class you might possibly want to do is available, but always at a price!

This one was 6/hr when you sign up for the whole course so not that bad though.

The bellydancing class was fun, but really difficult (for me). I need to practice at home before the next one in order to be able to move my hips and both arms at the same time! It’s a small group luckily and the teacher is very nice. I haven’t done a class with a mirror for a long time and forgot how weird I look. Certainly not proportioned like a dancer. Completely graceless, too, but maybe that will improve as the class goes on...

Page 13 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast