Page 11 of 36 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal (Pineneedles) page 11

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Part of our honeymoon was a week long swing dance camp. The instructor was one of the original "Lindy Hoppers" basically invented the dance. He was amazing. We danced at least weekly for the first 3 years we were together, until I was put on bed rest the last trimester of my first pregnancy. Would love to pick it back up now that the kids are out of the house, but our local community ed doesn't teach it and lessons around here are pricey.

I often find that something salty helps with a morning after fast headache. Just salt the mashed avocado and that would do it.

Pineneedles is offline Senior Member
    Went away for part of the weekend to see my boyfriend's parents as it was his mum's 60th. She wasn't having a party but appreciated the visit as he doesn't go home all that often. She liked the cushion I'd made, too and it matched their living room furnishings better than I'd hoped which was good news! They'd got new sofas since I'd last visited so that was pure fluke.

They live in the countryside which sounds great but I never feel so cooped up indoors as when we visit their house. They're pretty sedentary and somehow the surrounding countryside isn't too welcoming for outdoors exploration - no footpaths and plenty of fences around private land. And they have a big TV with lots of channels which we don't have at home. So we usually end up sitting down watching TV all day which is a strain on mind and body.

We did manage to go out on Sunday and pick blackberries which was fun (although nerve-wrecking for me as I'm really afraid of wasps and they, too, love ripe blackberries). Have frozen half the batch and put half in the fridge for now. Might try to make blackberry vodka.

As a result of not being at home my calorie count for the weekend was an estimate so I won't post details. Had barbecue meats with different salads which wasn't bad. Ate tons of blackberries while picking.

Fast day yesterday - back to normal, no breakfast or lunch, dinner a bit of shakshouka with two eggs and a dollop of yogurt.

New post fast day low weight this morning - 57.5kg! Seems like an anomaly and I doubt I'll see that figure again for a while but nice to see it anyway. I'm not sure how I'm managing to lose any weight when it feels like I'm often over my TDEE allowance on non-fast days and barely get my 3 x per week exercise in, but not complaining, either. The power of the 5:2 fasting?

More holiday treats in the office. Having abstained yesterday, today I had a few caramelised almonds rolled in sesame seeds and a bit of baklava and don't feel the need to eat any more. Actually the baklava was too sticky and sweet (I shouldn't be surprised, should I). Almonds were yummy though.

Breakfast - greek yogurt with blackberries, coffee with milk
    Snacks sugary almonds and baklava
    Lunch - boiled potatoes and a tin of sardines (somewhat austere but all I had at home and trying to save money by not buying takeaway lunches)
    Dinner - Some kind of an avocado salad since I got some reduced price avocados. Either with prawns or eggs I think.

Will try to get myself to go for a run before dinner. I was awake at 6am this morning and not even sleepy but couldn't quite get myself to actually get out of bed and run. Much prefer running in the early morning once I'm out there, but it's hard to remember that when still in bed!

congrats on the new low weight!

I am thinking I am making a version of shakshouka tonight for my fast night dinner.

I love shakshouka and very pleased to realise you can make a fast day suitable version. Normally I'd put more olive oil in it but this time just a dash. Peppers are in season so will probably eat this regularly in the coming weeks.

Today was a good food day. I'm going to make an effort to eat more veg. Perfect Health Diet recommends up to a pound of root veg and the same of non-starchy in different colours.

Breakfast - 3 eggs, blackberries with greek yogurt
    Lunch - Salad of potatoes, avocado, tomatoes and sardines
    Snack - A few more of the little caramelised almonds at work
    Dinner - Buckwheat soba noodles with lots of veg (onion, carrot, peas, yellow pepper, avocado, cucumber) and coconut. A bit of dark chocolate.

1871kcal, 81g protein, 95g fat, 189 carbs.

Had a busy day at work but it was sort of good busy and when I left work I felt happy and content. That doesn't often happen so was pleased to notice it. It's not quite true that my work is always either boring or stressful. Sometimes it strikes a balance. That's good.

My work rarely strikes a balance, usually boring or hectic.

I was raised Catholic, and my dad's family is Italian, so my shakshouka is actually "eggs in purgatory", but I think pretty much the same thing.

The book I've got suggests you can make shakshouka with different veg depending what's in season, but I haven't strayed from tomatoes + bell peppers yet. Although spinach + garlic with eggs on top with greek yogurt and butter with chilli flakes isn't that different and also delicious (not for a fast day though - needs the butter).

Fast day today:

Breakfast - just coffee with milk; Lunch - nothing
    Dinner - salad of rocket, spinach, tomatoes, cucumber, a bit of avocado, potatoes, two boiled eggs. A few blackberries (I've put the rest of the hoard in the freezer as haven't had the chance to buy vodka yet and was worried they were going funny).
    481 calories, 23g protein, 21g fat, 53g carbs.

Another busy day at work, tired now. Think I'll have a very early night and try to get up early for a pre-breakfast run tomorrow.

Glad to see Mark's post about slacklining. My boyfriend has inherited a line from his old flatmate who left the country so we do this from time to time. Very occasionally though - would be good to make it more of a habit. If the weather's nice this weekend we'll be on the line! (I'm terrible at it, but hey, all the more opportunity to improve!)

I tend to make a sort of spicy veggie soup sort of thing then just poach the eggs on top. I use whatever veggies I can find that will cook down easily-so not carrots or celery, but zucchini or squash. I usually do use spinach or kale as well as the tomatoes. Those 2 tend to be staples.

Wow, it's been a week's gap in journalling. So this is what happened:

Last Thursday: after successful fast as initially reported, spoiled it by eating a lot of fairly primal but calorific snacks at bedtime.

Last Friday: compensated for Thursday by having another fast, this time successful. Went to an outdoors concert (Suede!) and had a small chicken kebab on the way home (just ate the chicken and salad, not the bread) which I estimated to be well under 500kcal.

Saturday - Monday: bank holiday weekend. Ate tons. Had friends for lunch on Saturday and we had arepas, brazilian cheese balls and angel food cake (the first two were actually gluten free and not too bad but I overdid it on the cheese balls), Sunday made a slow roasted leg of lamb (lamb shawarma from Ottolenghi's Jerusalem book. Recipe here; utterly delicious). Didn't just eat though, did stair sprints in the park and bodyweight exercises on Sunday and did a bit of slacklining on Monday evening too which was fun. We've made a pledge to go slacklining on weekends whenever weather's OK and we're not busy doing anything else. I can stand on the line for about 40 seconds now, not walk yet.

Tuesday: Fast day with just a small evening meal.

Wednesday: My BF's birthday and we enjoyed a 3-hour lunch covering a 10-course tasting menu at a very nice restaurant. First time I'd ever had a tasting menu and probably won't be doing it again any time soon considering the cost but totally worth it as an experience. After digesting for a bit we moved on to his second birthday treat: a taster session at a local climbing wall. Really good fun. I didn't think I'd be able to do it at all but managed to climb up to the top twice, and halfway up a more difficult route.

As a result of all this eating weight has been up over 59 kg all week but I'm getting back on track now and not worried as it was all tremendous fun. Fasting today as normal for a Thursday. Expected arm muscles to ache from the climbing but the only my core muscles are a little bit sore. It could be the worst is to come tomorrow...

Have been faltering a bit in the last week but as good a time as any to take stock of the month past.

Successfully tracked food intake for the first 24 days of the month. What I’ve learned:
    - 5/2 fasting pattern with 2000kcal on feed days, up to 500kcal on fast days works for me and if I keep to these numbers I lose weight slowly and steadily.
    - When I eat real, whole foods I don’t naturally go over 2000kcal a day and feel very full on around 1800kcal. It’s only when sugary foods creep in that I go over the limit.
    - Dangerous time on fasting days – after dinner snacking. Ways to cope with this: 1) leave allowance for a snack at bedtime (dangerous though as may lead to further snacking); 2) complete liquid fast; 3) keep busy all evening.
    - I can handle the occasional sweet treat or two on feed days but when this becomes a daily occurrence it derails me. This is what has happened at the moment. A piece of cake, another piece of cake, a bit of ice cream, restaurant desserts, a piece of another cake, and now I’m back in the cupboard at every opportunity eating any sugary thing I can find.
    - Nutrient-wise my diet doesn’t look too bad. Vitamin D is low but I supplement when there’s no sunlight. Lowest of all is vitamin E. But from what I understand if PUFAs are low then need for vitamin E is lower, too? May try to increase high vitamin E in diet but taking care not to increase omega 6, too. I take a multivitamin on fast days.

Goals for September:
    - Continue 5/2 fasting pattern aiming for up to 2000kcal/500kcal
    - Aim for Perfect Health Diet food ratio of 1lb of safe starches, 1lb of root veg and fruit, and 1lb of other veg, 0.5-1lb of meat, fish and eggs per day. Main meals to consist of these plus good fats, spices, acids. 85% chocolate OK.
    - Feed days: 3 meals a day, no snacks. Fast days: either 1 small meal (dinner) or liquid fast, no snacks. Try to have morning coffee black on fast days.
    - At least 2.5 hrs of moving slowly (brisk walking, jogging, dancing, playing Frisbee, playing badminton, hula hooping), 2 x bodyweight sessions, 1 x hill sprints session per week.
    - Meditate every morning. Bring mindfulness to whatever I am doing, especially eating / wanting to eat.
    - Find that volunteering opportunity.

I’m going to continue weighing daily but that’s not a priority or a goal in itself. When I eat and exercise right the weight will also be right.

Got my new shoes yesterday. They’re made to fit my feet. I have weird wide feet and most shoes hurt my feet but these are lovely and very comfortable. They’re not the most elegant pair but there’s a kind of an austerity charm about them, a bit 1930s.

I decided to try to make curtido yesterday. Looking forward to trying it; however did slice my right hand ring finger on the mandolin while slicing the cabbage.

And the climbing muscle ache has caught up with me today but isn't too bad, just abs and upper arms. Will definitely want to have another go at it.

What happens if you eat dinner later on a fast day, can you eliminate night time snacking then?

Page 11 of 36 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast