Thread: Very high vitamin D level page

kimann79 is offline Member

Very high vitamin D level

Primal Fuel
    I just got my blood work results back and my vitamin D level is 127 (normal range 18-72). I take a dose of fermented cod liver oil and I do consume raw dairy (a moderate amount) but I take no supplemental vit. D. My doctor is concerned (especially since I'm pregnant.) I'm waiting to hear back from the office (he assumed I was taking a supplement so the nurse has to let him know I'm not.) What could cause this and how can I get my levels back to a normal range? I always assumed my levels were low since most of this country is low in vitamin D. I haven't found any info online that speaks to someone that is not taking a synthetic supplement.

Yvonne PHX Guest
    Saw this as a response to a similiar question on an Osteoporisis board:

"You should also check to make sure the vitamin D test you had checked your 25OHD level and not your 1,25OH2D level. The 1,25OH2D level has a higher normal range. If your 25OHD level was tested, it may be due to sun exposure. Otherwise, it is probably related to lab error, and will probably be lower when repeated."

I have had a doc order the wrong type of cortisol test before, and I ended up placed on prednisone and given a referral to an endocrinologist. Luckily, he realized immediately what happened and gave me a proper diagnosis. It's worth a phone call to make sure that the correct test was ordered.

Shijin13 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kimann79 View Post
    I just got my blood work results back and my vitamin D level is 127 (normal range 18-72). I take a dose of fermented cod liver oil and I do consume raw dairy (a moderate amount) but I take no supplemental vit. D. My doctor is concerned (especially since I'm pregnant.) I'm waiting to hear back from the office (he assumed I was taking a supplement so the nurse has to let him know I'm not.) What could cause this and how can I get my levels back to a normal range? I always assumed my levels were low since most of this country is low in vitamin D. I haven't found any info online that speaks to someone that is not taking a synthetic supplement.

When I had my Vitamine D25-Hydroxy test run... I was 116 ng/ml and the standard range is btwn 30-100 ng/ml. Dr. Kruse recommends every one have at least 70ng/ml by the end of Sept.

On Dr K's Vitamin D blog Vitamin D optimization thoughts | Jack Kruse check out item 11... also take this into you doc to discuss..
    Here's a link to the vitamin D council on toxicity
    Vitamin D Council > About vitamin D > What is vitamin D? > Vitamin D Toxicity
    The most depraved type of human being is the man without a purpose. ~ Ayn Rand
    What's your purpose? Mine is Optimal Health.

Converted to PB November 2010
    SW 190lb
    Leptin Reset Redux (1Sep 2011) SW 170lbs
    25 Sep 2011 160lbs
    1 Dec 2011 158lbs!
    GW ~135lbs
    5'3"
    Mother of 2, and wife to a kick ass husband...trying to contain chaos and havoc on a daily basis

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread40609.html

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    I'd get re-tested.

Neither your cod liver oil nor your raw dairy have nearly enough to cause anything that high. Unless your cod liver oil accidentally got dosed with D & you take a lot of it...

I haven't read about anyone that high (except lifeguards in Israel!), so either the test is wrong (maybe a typo on the tech's part?) or you have some rare genetic or disease thingy going on.

If you feel good, I'd be willing to bet on a faulty test or inaccurate lab technician.
    Last edited by Dragonfly; 09-27-2011 at 01:07 PM.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    "You should also check to make sure the vitamin D test you had checked your 25OHD level and not your 1,25OH2D level. The 1,25OH2D level has a higher normal range. If your 25OHD level was tested, it may be due to sun exposure. Otherwise, it is probably related to lab error, and will probably be lower when repeated."
    +1

Dr. Kruse recommends every one have at least 70ng/ml by the end of Sept.
    +1

reflex is offline Member
    I would suggest you get it re-checked. If the repeat test is high, I would request an endocrinologist consultation.

VITAMIN D, 25-HYDROXY is the test you want, just to be certain.

Shijin13 is offline Senior Member
    you can order the test yourself on the Vitamin D council's website...
    The most depraved type of human being is the man without a purpose. ~ Ayn Rand
    What's your purpose? Mine is Optimal Health.

Converted to PB November 2010
    SW 190lb
    Leptin Reset Redux (1Sep 2011) SW 170lbs
    25 Sep 2011 160lbs
    1 Dec 2011 158lbs!
    GW ~135lbs
    5'3"
    Mother of 2, and wife to a kick ass husband...trying to contain chaos and havoc on a daily basis

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread40609.html

Bosnic is offline Senior Member
    During the winter I was getting very small to no amounts of sunlight. My Vitamine D25-Hydroxy test came back with 45. When summer started up, I went outside every other day without a shirt on. Got re-tested, and was at 139.

kimann79 is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Okay. Thanks for the replies. The doctor told me to cut my cod liver dose in half but I'm going to ask what type of vitamin D test was ordered and see about getting retested.