Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to explain Primal to average folk page

PrimalJenn is offline Member

How to explain Primal to average folk

Primal Fuel
    Maybe this is stupid but it's been on my mind. I have been doing Primal since May. Started with a 90/10 ratio then slipped a little the last month or two but now I am back. In the short time I was following it, I did lose weight, inches, felt better, looked better, RLS went away (comes back when I eat gluten), sleep got better...everything was good. My question is how do I explain this to people? Not like I'm preaching or anything but CW really screwed with all of us and friends/family look at me like I'm a ticking time bomb when I sit down to eggs and bacon instead of oatmeal or a low fat muffin. My other issue is that I am still not in Mark Sisson shape so I have these people around me who are thinner and healthy appearing that won't even listen to me. I feel very strongly about Primal living but sometimes it's hard and you do question yourself a little. Any suggestions or anyone in my spot?

SlimIcy is offline Senior Member
    Any time you open your mouth about it you're opening a can of worms. I got too worked up about it any time I tried. Now I only answer questions that are directly asked by people who I know are intelligent enough to have a real discourse with, even if they may disagree. To the other people I just smile and say that I'm a Meat-a-tarian.

Yvonne PHX Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SlimIcy View Post
    Any time you open your mouth about it you're opening a can of worms. I got too worked up about it any time I tried. Now I only answer questions that are directly asked by people who I know are intelligent enough to have a real discourse with, even if they may disagree. To the other people I just smile and say that I'm a Meat-a-tarian.
    +1. If it's an issue about me not eating the pizza or bagels offered, I just say I am gluten-free. Do what works for you. Who cares if other people understand or buy in?

demuralist is online now Senior Member
    To my doc, I say that I get the bulk of my carbs from locally grown vegetables. She doesn't question the meat because I tend to have low iron. To normal people I say I gave up sugar and flour. If they ask for more details I tell them, if not I figure I don't want a vegetarian preaching to me, so I am not going to preach my paradigm.
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 5:2 -2 day fast diet with real food every day

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    I have personally experienced that trying to share information, or help others is usually fruit-less and incredibly frustrating. I only have two sort-of-almost success stories (two co-workers have been primal for about three weeks now, but you know, too soon to tell if it will last) it sucks to say but it's best to avoid it.

However, once you start living primal, it almost feels like everyone is literally eating hot plastic in the name of health and you just want to tell everyone to stop. It's very hard to resist the urge to stop others from harming themselves. Unfortunately, you're swimming against the current, and you have to find individuals that are already mis-trusting of information coming from "the man" otherwise you'll mostly be met with "but the USDA/FDA/government/tv/my friend/my trainer/this girl that is skinny told me that eating bagels is good for you!" and like you already said, unless you're a fitness model, they probably won't give a shit.

For instance, I used to work with a pretty stereotypical "guy from NJ who works out" by this I mean, you could never find this guy without some sort of protein, be it powder in a shake (just add water!) or a bar, or something of the sort. We got to talking once, and I briefly mentioned and explained Leangains and told him "I do that" (he was telling me he was on his "cutting" phase, where NJ guidos try to lose body fat in order to hit the beach, or something. I was trying to tell him if he did Leangains he wouldn't have to deal with bulking/cutting phases) then I realized... I'm relatively skinny and don't have puffy beach muscles. I'm the last person in the world this guy is going to listen to, because my body type is not what he's after. Were he to get this advice from Ronnie Coleman or some shit, he would probably look into it.

reflex is offline Member
    I just say, "It's all about insulin."

gunnk is offline Senior Member
    Sometimes I'll say I avoid "simple starches" and try to eat natural, whole foods.

That pretty well sums things up, though I'm still getting more sugar in my diet than I should (mmm... ice cream...). Rules out breads, chips, sweets, sodas... anything with flour, sugar, or high fructose corn syrup.

No one can argue with that without sounding like "But don't you need more empty calories in your diet?"
    Life is short: Void the warranty.

carlh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    I'm the last person in the world this guy is going to listen to, because my body type is not what he's after.
    One of the reasons the amazing before/after transformational pictures folks have posted here are such a powerful testimony! Lots of people losing lots of weight and gaining versatile muscle.

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    For the most part, I try to avoid the subject, to be honest with you (although I definitely did have my annoying proselytizing phase).

When pressed, I'll say "a hunter-gatherer way of eating -- meat, vegetables, fruit -- and I've never felt better" (I specifically do not use the "D" word). I don't say anything about no grains, sugar, or dairy and let them make the connection for themselves if they wish to give it further thought.

I did tell my boss once, in the course of a discussion about how I no longer call sick into work all the time, "I stopped eating sugar and I'm cooking everything from scratch now." That seemed to go over well.

If someone point blank asks me why I'm not eating any bread or ______, I say, "I like bread (or ______), but it does not like me."
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

PrimalJenn is offline Member
    Thanks for the input guys. It's sometimes rough out here, feeling all alone. I do wanna share what I know with everyone but for the most part I keep it in. The worst part is family members almost get annoyed with me. Like my inlaws will make stuffed peppers and I say "oh thank you but I don't care for the rice." They say "oh come on that little bit wont hurt you or you used to eat it or it's good for you, it's brown rice" I try to be polite about it and not make a big deal but if you don't eat like the "norm" then you are outcasted. It's so crazy to me that people think nothing of sitting down to a meal of pasta, bread, soda and cake for dessert yet look at me like I have 3 heads when I pull out brussel sprouts with bacon and hamburger. It is equally upseting to see my neice live on puffs, rice cereal and pre packaged meals at the tender age of 1. In the next few years I plan to have a family and luckily my wife is on board with primal and agrees that we wont be feeding our child macaroni and cheese or an all dairy based diet. I just wish more people around me would understand.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast