Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I've found that resticting yourself from certain foods... page

milkycereal is offline Banned

I've found that resticting yourself from certain foods...

Primal Fuel
    ...... causes you to crave that food more. The forbidden fruit always tastes better. It got to a point where I developed a binge-eating disorder where a few nights a week I would say fuck it and cram my face full of poptarts.

And I didn't even like pop-tarts before primal.

Sure I wasn't eating healthy before PB, but I weighed less and was much happier on my stoner diet of no breakfast, highschool cheeseburger n fries, moms dinner and a can of arizona ice tea.

So I said "screw this, im gonna have cake and grains and whatever else I want whenever I want. Im tired of this shyt."

And just like that all that junk food that seemed to call my name stopped looking so tasty. The first night I said this to myself I went over to the desert cart in my cafe and nothing really appealed to me. I ended up having a banana.

I eat oats for breakfast, maybe an english muffin. I eat sandwhiches all the time, ect...It keeps me sane. I love oats, bread and sandwhiches.

But the junk has no pull on me at all anymore. I don't crave candy at all anymore, I hardly ever want desert. I havent had an arizona in years.

I'll opt for potatos or another alternative if available, but I still eat grains. I feel better now than when I was strict primal trying to be perfect, and dare I say better than when I was one my stoner diet. And guess what? i'm lookin sexier by the day.

So for those of you who feel like they're fighting themselves with every meal, my adivce is chill out and eat what you want.

(I guess this adivice is for people with the goal of getting healthy and feeling good, not nessecarilly for obese people)
    Last edited by milkycereal; 09-27-2011 at 09:56 AM.

Giantsbran is offline Member
    But bread haz da glutenz which will give u da cancerz in your body!

colejames is offline Member
    Amen bro, dieting is all in the mind. If you go into primal feeling like your depriving yourself, you will binge, restrict, overeat, undereat, and develop orthorexia. If you go into primal feeling like your doing your body worlds of good and giving it nourishment it badly needed, your body composition will improve, as will your mood, weight, strength, and all other health markers.

Bosnic is offline Senior Member
    I think its more about mentality. Stop thinking of these foods as the forbidden fruit. I work around processed, high sugar foods all day, and I don't crave it one bit.

I've trained my self to see candy, breads, processed food, etc, as not food at all. It's just processed junk made by a corporation specifically to get you addicted to it. They have no moral guilt when adding high amounts of sugar in their foods. All they know is that getting people addicted to sugar will increase profits.

Keep all of these things in mind. Stop thinking of it as a "diet" (in the negative sense), or as a restriction.
    Last edited by Bosnic; 09-27-2011 at 10:15 AM.

davem is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, it's all in your mind, and natural to crave that which you can't have, which is why DVDA and ATM are so highly desired, but taboo.
    My Fitday public journal.
    Me vs. Russian Boar, hunt is on Aug. 20th. WHAT'S MORE PRIMAL THAN THAT?!
    Recently survived Warrior Dash, New England.
    Game Developer, ex-Chef, long time Fatbody.

Kenzington is offline Senior Member
    Sometimes thinking about what you're replacing it with is a good way to go too.

A bag of chips or..... a big plate of super caramelized roasted veggies swimming in chicken fat?
    A candy bar or..... A big bowl of beautiful multi colored berries with fresh whipped cream?
    A Subway sandwich or......... A parisian style frisee and bacon salad with a poached egg?
    A big plate of spaghetti or........ a big plate of chicken marsala with big juicy mushrooms and peppers with garlic mashed potatoes?

Let's face it, some foods are just sexier.

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by colejames View Post
    Amen bro, dieting is all in the mind. If you go into primal feeling like your depriving yourself, you will binge, restrict, overeat, undereat, and develop orthorexia. If you go into primal feeling like your doing your body worlds of good and giving it nourishment it badly needed, your body composition will improve, as will your mood, weight, strength, and all other health markers.
    I strongly agree with this. Sure, the foods you choose to eat, make a difference, but I have experienced first-hand the difference that mindset can have on body composition.

Also, I don't totally agree with the OP. I used to overeat nuts alot. I cut them out totally and completely for about a month and now I can eat them in moderation. So if there's some "forbidden fruit" that you can't control yourself around, try cutting it out totally for at least one month. You may find that your addiction subsides.

Giantsbran is offline Member
    If we are talking purely aesthetics all that matters is calories in/ calories out and macro breakdown. Whether you eat big macs, candy bars, and pizza to get your cals or all paleo foods, aesthetically there is no difference. Their may be a difference in satiety, and how you feel (general health), but not body composition wise if the macros are the same.

davem is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenzington View Post
    Sometimes thinking about what you're replacing it with is a good way to go too.

A bag of chips or..... a big plate of super caramelized roasted veggies swimming in chicken fat?
    A candy bar or..... A big bowl of beautiful multi colored berries with fresh whipped cream?
    A Subway sandwich or......... A parisian style frisee and bacon salad with a poached egg?
    A big plate of spaghetti or........ a big plate of chicken marsala with big juicy mushrooms and peppers with garlic mashed potatoes?

Let's face it, some foods are just sexier.
    I'm with you on 2-4, but #1 just sounds like the cook screwed up. Veg should never SWIM in fat.
    My Fitday public journal.
    Me vs. Russian Boar, hunt is on Aug. 20th. WHAT'S MORE PRIMAL THAN THAT?!
    Recently survived Warrior Dash, New England.
    Game Developer, ex-Chef, long time Fatbody.

weird fish is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    This is so true. I loved warm rolls with dinner and was kind of addicted to giant bowls of sugary cereal, but I never really cared about grains until I learned how bad they supposedly are for you. And then I ended up sneaking downstairs late at night to stuff myself full of cornbread, poptarts (which I dgaffed about before, like you) and then moving on to ice cream and chocolate milk. I think that for many people, it's really dangerous to say that certain foods, especially when it's regardless of occasion and preparation, are 'bad'. It inevitably turns them into something that is 'not allowed' which means to your brain that you are being deprived of it any time you see it and want it. And I agree, having something be 'off limits' makes you want it more, and makes you feel more deprived.

In July, I realized that low-carb and restricting grains was getting me nowhere. I was eating a pitifully small amount just to keep my weight from going up, and I was sick of resisting and giving in to binging, so I said fuckit. I'll eat whatever I want whenever I want, because not eating whatever I want whenever I want is probably doing the most to cause me to gain weight. So I unabashedly ate potatoes, yogurt, popsicles, ice cream, flavored milk, whatever, it didn't matter. And I gained about 10 pounds in a month, but I'm glad! My body needed to gain that weight to start functioning (more) properly again. And I care a whole lot less about cake and cookies than I did before. I can have whatever I want. And now that that's established, I'm much happier and eating more whole foods and proper meals than ever.

There is enough evidence at this point that a person's relationship with food will make or break their success that I don't know why we don't talk about it more.

Quote Originally Posted by Giantsbran View Post
    If we are talking purely aesthetics all that matters is calories in/ calories out and macro breakdown. Whether you eat big macs, candy bars, and pizza to get your cals or all paleo foods, aesthetically there is no difference. Their may be a difference in satiety, and how you feel (general health), but not body composition wise if the macros are the same.
    Are we seriously still doing this?

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast