Thread: Hi all! page

Jennie is offline Junior Member

Hi all!

Primal Fuel
    Honestly, I hate these please-introduce-yourself-threads because they kinda give me the feel of an AA meeting but I'll try anyway.

My name is Jen and I'm a Miami Beach based personal trainer. I was first introduced to the ideas of a paleo / primal diet back in 2007. I attended a seminar in Germany (I'm a native German) to become a so called "food coach" where they told us about the advantages of low-carb/ high fat diets.

Although I usually put my clients on a paleo diet the first two to three weeks we work together (and reintroduce carbs after that), I never even considered to make this a lifestyle and just keep going after the first weeks.

Right now I'm beeing the rat in my own experiment and try to find out how a long-term paleo / primal diet affects my body, my mood, and my overall health. It's only been a few weeks and I'm still suffering from the low-carb flu (and my husband is suffering from my mood swings) but I hope this will be over soon.

I am excited to be able to receive and give some advice in this forum and share my experiences with the other members.

Grok on!

jenh is offline Senior Member
    Vernon Hills, IL (Northern Chicago suburbs)
    If you're really active are you getting enough carbs? The 1st time I went through carb-flu was probably 2-3 weeks and it was hard. A few weeks after that is when I started to really see things move on the scale and a few weeks after that I started to feel so energetic and a TON of sex drive. I do wonder if 30 days is not really enough time to see the full effect.... Welcome aboard and hope you stick with it.
    My goal pic...

Sugar is a damn drug. It's a sick and evil cycle that I must break permanently. GROKETTE ON!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/JLDesignStudio (My personal designs & creations of quality handcrafted jewelry. Items for grokettes AND groks of all ages.)

Jennie is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jenh View Post
    If you're really active are you getting enough carbs? The 1st time I went through carb-flu was probably 2-3 weeks and it was hard. A few weeks after that is when I started to really see things move on the scale and a few weeks after that I started to feel so energetic and a TON of sex drive. I do wonder if 30 days is not really enough time to see the full effect.... Welcome aboard and hope you stick with it.
    Thanks for the nice welcome! Regarding the carbs, I felt a little dizzy the first few times I did my workouts so I started eating some dried fruit before or after and now it seems to be fine. I eat "a lot" of fruit anyway (approx. 2 pieces a day), so I think the overall carb intake should be fine. Just waiting for this blaaa-feeling to go away
    I just started a blog with healthy recipes - some not strictly primal though ;0) - and fitness tips. Swing by and leave me a comment if you like: Jen's Blog

jenh is offline Senior Member
    Vernon Hills, IL (Northern Chicago suburbs)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennie View Post
    Thanks for the nice welcome! Regarding the carbs, I felt a little dizzy the first few times I did my workouts so I started eating some dried fruit before or after and now it seems to be fine. I eat "a lot" of fruit anyway (approx. 2 pieces a day), so I think the overall carb intake should be fine. Just waiting for this blaaa-feeling to go away
    That's kind of what I wondered. It doesn't sound like you're on the weight loss part since you may already be fit so some fruit for the carbs shouldn't hurt too much especially if you're dizzy or light headed - that extreme sounds as if carbs are needed; but of course that's just my opinion which isn't that knowledgable *yet*. I'm just learning from others on the boards here and there are many of well-versed folks...
    My goal pic...

Sugar is a damn drug. It's a sick and evil cycle that I must break permanently. GROKETTE ON!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/JLDesignStudio (My personal designs & creations of quality handcrafted jewelry. Items for grokettes AND groks of all ages.)

Aili is offline Senior Member
    I felt the same symptoms and when I added a bit of salt to foods, it went away. Because you are very active, perhaps you might try that.

Velocity is offline Senior Member
    Whoo, another SFL PB'er! I'm over in the Gables by UM. Howdy!
    Are you a college student, trying to navigate college while being Primal? Do you know any other PB college students on a tight budget? Heck, for that matter, are YOU trying to live Primal on a budget? Enroll at Primal University!

For after all what is man in nature? A nothing in relation to infinity, all in relation to nothing, a central point between nothing and all and infinitely far from understanding either.
    -- Blaise Pascal