Thread: Hello Everyone page

polymurphism is offline Junior Member

Hello Everyone

Primal Fuel
    My name is Murph and I have decided to get primal.

Right now I'm reading through "The Primal Blueprint" as well as some other articles on the website and trying to adjust. It has been pretty tough for me since I am Irish and love potatoes, but I'm willing to let them go for the sake of health.

Hmm, a little more about myself. I like to run cross country races as well as mountain biking. Right now I'm trying to figure out if that fits in to the primal lifestyle. I'd like to eventually run a Marathon some day and possibly even an Ironman. What do you think? Is it doable? Is it worth it? I don't know, I'm still thinking about it.

My biggest concern is figuring out what to buy from the store and where I can eat out. Does anyone know of any resources, such as cheat sheets, mobile apps, or something that could help me out with that. Or is it just something you have to learn for yourself over time? Also, is it worth it to not "waste" the "bad" food I have at home by throwing it out right away or can I slowly get rid of it? I think it should last only another week or so. It's basically all carbs (rice, spaghetti, beans, mac and cheese, chicken noodle soup, potatoes, crackers, etc). I just graduated from college so I'm trying to get out of that "quick and easy" mindset and hopefully taking the time to make some good meals.

Well that's about all I have. I look to reading more of what everyone has to say and contributing from my own experiences.

jenh is offline Senior Member
    Vernon Hills, IL (Northern Chicago suburbs)
    Well, I personally still do potatoes from time to time, but probably one of the reasons my progress has been slower than others. I did eat some of my bad food due to my budget constraints and I believe you'll find many of us understanding of those things. What I did with the items I didn't want was either donate to food pantry and also had a friend of a friend who periodically needs assistance and they have a small child, so they got my can of non-stick spray, some cake mixes, etc...probably 3 big paper bags full of stuff like that and even some pasta. I'm sure they were thrilled...
    My goal pic...

Sugar is a damn drug. It's a sick and evil cycle that I must break permanently. GROKETTE ON!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/JLDesignStudio (My personal designs & creations of quality handcrafted jewelry. Items for grokettes AND groks of all ages.)

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Potatoes are still "officially" not primal or paleo. But many of us are voting with our forks to eat them. I eat them once or twice a day but keep my carbs well under 100 grams. More

Endurance sports are not considered primal. But Mark, a former star marathoner and triathlete, would say that if they are your passion, go for it. You can train for them in a primal way. You don't have to put in hundreds of miles a week to train. I first heard Mark speak at a meeting of a running club that turns out lots of fine runners on sprints, cross training and once a week longer runs at a fairly slow speed. (I stopped doing distance after I heard Mark. LOL)
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

polymurphism is offline Junior Member
    It isn't really my passion. I kinda just want to do a marathon once just to say that I did it. That's probably a dumb reason though, so I'm rethinking if it is something I really want to do.

I'd definitely be interested in running a 5k every so often though. Is that not considered primal? I guess when you say endurance sports what distance are you talking about? If I do the recommended primal exercise and then run a 5k a couple times a year is that still bad?

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I kinda just want to do a marathon once just to say that I did it.
    Darn good reason. That's why I did a half.

Doing 5Ks is fine, even much more often than a couple times a year.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.