Thread: The Spunky Coconut? page

OrangeGirl is offline Junior Member

Primal Fuel

Has anyone heard of this website/book? Sounds really great, lots of grain free, sugar free, etc etc recipes that I would really like to try.

www.thespunkycoconut.com

They use stevia & honey as sweetener ... I haven't had a sweet tooth yet in my week as primal, but what do you think of making a birthday cake or something out of this kind of stuff? Input is appreciated!

FairyRae2 Guest

The grain free recipes are pretty good--if you are wanting bread, the braided bread is fantastic. (Not really low carb though!) I also love http://www.elanaspantry.com You can modify all of her recipes (I sub coconut oil for the grapeseed oil, honey for the agave, ground seeds for the almond flour b/c my ds has an almond intolerance, and I'm working on using pureed dates/date 'syrup' in place of all the sweetners, mixed w/ a bit of stevia.) http://healthyindulgences.blogspot.com/ is another great one. Substitutions to make recipes more primal or to fit our needs (intolerances) seem to work in all of the recipes I've tried on these sites.

And if you're looking for a b-day cake, NOTHING beats this coconut flour orange cake! It is to die for, and just as good as regular old cake according to a couple of SAD eating folks I know! http://www.nourishingdays.com/?p=1156 You can sub lemon for the orange as well and make it a lemon cake, or lemon poppyseed if you add those. (I'm working on a way to make it w/out or w/ less honey...I'll share if I figure it out!)

I do a LOT of baking for my ds and am always on the lookout for how to make more primal treats for him, that are also very nourishing!

Those are some great links! Mmmm *drool* That cake is sounding really good right now. When I was on my candida diet a few months ago, I made some chocolate chip cookies from Elana's Pantry's website, and WOW did they taste GREAT! The only problem was I got REALLY bloated, and I wasn't sure what the cause was. After a few other foods w/agave nectar, I thought maybe it was that? So maybe I'll just use honey next time.

FairyRae2 Guest

You know what, when I first started baking w/ ground nuts/seeds, I gained weight immediately. In my head, I was thinking "these are healthy, I can eat as many as I want!" But I typically try to keep it to a max of 1/4 cup of nuts a day to avoid weight gain etc--which works fine for me, but in baked goods, its easier to eat a lot more than that very quickly! So, I'd say go w/ moderation when it comes to these kinds of treats. (It's hard to do--I make them for my ds, but try to avoid them for myself still--just too much temptation to eat ALL of them after having 1 or 2...

I'm working on making some totally sugar free recipes (no honey--just stevia and pureed fruit or dates to sweeten). If I figure some good recipes out, I'll be sure to post here about them!

That sounds awesome! I was looking for something to enjoy for my husband's birthday tomorrow. I found what seems to be a primal ice cream recipe. I'm going to try it and if it turns out good, I'll post that as well. Thank you for the insight about baking; it is too hard to resist something that is "okay" for us to eat!

Catalina is offline Member

It looks like her focus is gluten-free. She seems to use plenty of starch (buckwheat/tapioca flour) and sugar (honey/applesauce).

The site Fairyrae mentioned is good, and you'll find plenty of others as you keep searching around. Check out Son of Grok's site for lots of yummy recipes also.

My bottom line would be that these are "better than regular" baked goods, but not really primal, much like Elana's pantry. Maybe good for occasional indulgences?

P.S. I'm really looking forward to Mark's Primal cookbook. . .hopefully, it will have some treats.

FairyRae2 Guest

[quote]

My bottom line would be that these are "better than regular" baked goods, but not really primal, much like Elana&#39;s pantry. Maybe good for occasional indulgences?</blockquote>

ITA w/ this. Which is one of the reasons I&#39;m working hard to figure out some totally sugar free treats made of nuts/coconut flour/fruit/etc...(And still, I think all treats like this are best in moderation!)

FairyRae2 Guest

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Just wanted to update this w/ a fruit sweetened, sugar free (as in free of natural sugars like honey/maple syrup/etc.--I made a date syrup [dates pureed] and used that instead) recipe, for coconut flour lemon cake. I think it came out really well, and could easily be coconut flour orange cake or pineapple cake, etc...(I know orange is really yummy!)

Here is the link--the entire thread is all about sugar free, grain free baking... (for those looking for primal &#39;treats&#39. http://www.mothering.com/discussions...php?p=14938876 (Scroll down to post 31, and check out the previous page of the thread for some other cool ideas!)