Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Veg = Severe Gas? page

ChasePaleo is offline Junior Member

Veg = Severe Gas?

Shop Now
    Every time I eat any kind of veg, I get gas that is so intense it hurts my stomach. I've had days where i've been cramped up unable to move due to eating veg. This is really putting me off my diet and I've tried removing and adding certain vegetables but it makes no difference. At one point I even suffered a bad case of gastritis due to the severity of the gas I were getting.

I'm not sure what is going on with my body. I know that I find veg really difficult to eat because I can't stand the taste. Anyone else been through this?

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Is this with raw and cooked vegetables, or just raw?
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Leanne_R is offline Member
    When I first started paleo my tummy had issues transitioning to higher vege intake. If you haven't been doing this for very long, maybe wait it out? I know the couple weeks was well worth the wait considering the stomach issues I had prior to paleo.

I had this same issue. It went away after a few weeks but ya it hurt bad. I found I had to get use to eating large quantities of coconut... Now I eat coconut butter by the spoonful!

ChasePaleo is offline Junior Member
    The veg that I eat are cooked. I've tried boiling, steaming and frying. I'm not used to eating vegetables, so is this a transitional thing?

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Some people have trouble digesting either raw or cooked veg. You might try some raw and see how that is for you. Also, the cruciferous veggies can be harder for some folks to eat--that's broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, kale, etc.--so if you're mostly eating those, maybe back down on them and increase the quantities gradually. You could also look into an enzyme supplement. If you haven't eaten many vegetables until starting primal, your body may need a little help adapting. I'd also eat some cultured/fermented foods to aid digestion.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

ppham27 is offline Member
    It's a transitional thing. Well, at least it was for me. I felt terrible and gassy the first few times that I had Brussels sprouts. After eating them 3-4 times, I no longer have any issues.

Leanne_R is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasePaleo View Post
    so is this a transitional thing?
    It took me about a month before things started to "settle." My tummy is great now, pre-paleo I had gas ALL THE TIME and switching just must have been a shock to the system. It was probably a combination of that and some initial healing. Why do things seem to get worse before they get better?

Lily Marie is offline Senior Member
    The same thing tends to happen if you go the opposite way too. I've done the raw vegan thing and went back to meat. The meat was hard to digest and made me have "rotten egg burps" *Yuck!*.

Your body gets used to digesting certian matter and when you bring in a totally different matter, it takes a while for it to start producing the right acids and such to properly digest it.

Slow and steady is the way to go.

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    I think I might have an issue with fruit that way. I've rarely had gas since going primal but I also have cut down on my fruit consumption. I had a few dates and an apple while camping this weekend and was tooting shortly thereafter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast