Thread: Anyone Experiences Upper Back Pain/Fatigue when Fasting? page

Leida is offline Senior Member

Anyone Experiences Upper Back Pain/Fatigue when Fasting?

Primal Fuel
    Waaay back when I was eating an apple and a yogurt for lunch, I used to have upper back pains that went away when i started eating every 3 or so hours on CW. So, I haven't had it for many years, but now that I extended my fasts from 14 hours to 17 hours it is back (today it kicked in around hour 15). It is the same persistent fatigue/dull ache at the rib and under the rotators, kindda makes you curl your back around your stomach, and it goes away after eating just like it did before. Has anyone experienced it? Is it a sign of a specific nutritional deficiency? The only doctor I asked about it before laughed in my face and said I need to walk around more, but doing the 20 sec every 20 min did not help, and standing while walking is not helping either, even if I do a bit of walking around the cubicle. So , i do not think it is a lack of movement.

???
    Last edited by Leida; 09-27-2011 at 07:45 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

healthseekerKate is offline Senior Member
    When I first started fasting, I would notice that the right side of my upper spine would intensely tingle for extended periods (not painful at all, just 'weird'). It's not the same as the symptoms you've been experiencing, but I find it interesting that fasting *does* sometimes bring on certain symptoms that are absent when frequently eating meals. I don't have any explanations for either your or my symptoms... For me, this tingling generally went away after a few weeks, when I had gotten into the habit of fasting regularly.

Kimchiqueen is offline Member
    I started the GAPS diet last November and had the upper back thing, I felt like I had the flu! I still get it from time to time when I'm eating lower carb. What worked for me was to take detox baths. My favorite is 1 cup of apple cider vinegar in very hot water. Other baths that work almost as well are 1/2 to 1 cup of celtic salt or baking soda. I think this would work for you since when people fast they start detoxing, right? Oh, also you need to take the bath at night, you will sleep really well and wake up feeling better.

I go to steam room/hot tub almost daily. Our tub at home is leaking & we do not want to fix it, so I do not use a tub at home, only shower. I asusme that steam room will be just fine to remove the toxins, if anything is released from fat which is supposedly burning?

Meadow is offline Senior Member
    I have something similar but I have never been able to pinpoint the exact cause of my issues. I have a history of chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia, and candida issues. I have been on the healing side of things for 6 plus years, so things are pretty good now. BUT, if my back tension is flaring up, or I have been letting too many carbs sneak into my diet (which usually causes the pain in the first place), the pain associated with hunger increases. Same thing as you, I find the tension/pain in my back is definitely worse when I am hungry. Mine centers around wherever the tension is hanging out at the moment, sometimes shoulder blades, sometimes neck, sometimes jaw.

My un-tested and personal opinion is it is related to candida overgrowth that has gone systemic into my muscles, but that is just a guess. If my carbs are low, my candida issues are low, and no pain with hunger. It seems weird, but I feel better in general on a consistent lower carb regime so I just aim that direction for multiple reasons.

Southbound is offline Junior Member
    If eating fixes it then it sounds like a symptom of fatigue.

I don't think long fasts are for everyone. I've been eating paleo for two years and I still feel my energy level drain away like a battery going dead if I don't eat regular meals.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Could it be reflux? I used to get that feeling in my upper shoulders/back when I had bad heartburn.

I am not sure, I have never experienced heart-burn in my life & there was absolutely no other adverse impacts (fatugue or hunger pangs).

@Meadow, thank you for sharing your experience, I think you might have given me the cause. While I have not been succesful with really low carbohydrates in the past I settled into moderate carbs right now. But I had a scoop of ice-cream and a few rice thins for my b-day on Sunday afternoon, so my carbs would have been much higher than on a normal day! That gives me hope that with my normal carb intake it won't bug me again. I will watch for it!