Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coffee/Depression Link? page

fpsjosh01 is offline Senior Member

Coffee/Depression Link?

Primal Fuel
    For women, risk of depression falls as coffee intake rises - CNN.com

I claim bologna. I had 4 cups of coffee a day at one point and it was the most depressing part of my life.

Though, I'm not exactly a woman... but still!

Kenzington is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fpsjosh01 View Post
    For women, risk of depression falls as coffee intake rises - CNN.com

I claim bologna. I had 4 cups of coffee a day at one point and it was the most depressing part of my life.

Though, I'm not exactly a woman... but still!
    Ok, I can't leave this alone. You're not 'exactly' a woman? lol I need you to elaborate on that one for me.

dado Guest
    I saw that this morning too... I don't know.

You know the correlation and causation jazz music.

Ok, I can't leave this alone. You're not 'exactly' a woman? lol I need you to elaborate on that one for me.
    I'm definitely male, (and didn't mean to imply that I was female in any way.)

(back on topic)

Goddamned coffee beans.

It's ALL OVER my aggregate news feed. I just keep thinking about how people will read this and go on with their day drinking their low fat lattes with 4 cups of caramel syrup.
    Last edited by fpsjosh01; 09-27-2011 at 07:14 AM.

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    It probably depends on the person. Caffeine slows the reuptake of dopamine, which is responsible for pleasure, amongst other things. Small scale, so it wouldn't have a huge effect, especially if a person is already depressed. But for the non-depressed person it can be a pleasurable experience. OTOH, if a person is depressed they may drink coffee in large quantities, unknowingly (and ineffectively) trying to boost their dopamine. It's why some addicts of assorted drugs use them. Self medicating any disorder that involves lower dopamine levels or faulty dopamine receptors. Why it would have more of an effect on women than men I'm not sure, but women and men tend to show differences in rates and responses to depression as well as other brain-based disorders.

Autumnrose is offline Member
    I'll believe it and even use it as an excuse to keep my coffee habit. I can easily drink four to six cups a day.

Quote Originally Posted by Autumnrose View Post
    I'll believe it and even use it as an excuse to keep my coffee habit. I can easily drink four to six cups a day.
    As long as there is high fat creamer in there, it's not terrible. (I had one myself today) I just see this as an excuse to drink coffee for ALL the wrong reasons.

Iskander is offline Member
    How could anyone be depressed while sipping on a lovely and delicious cup o' coffee?
    "A man in this world without learning is as a beast of the field."

My Primal Journal

June is offline Senior Member
    15% isn't enough for me to bat an eye. There are too many factors to consider for such a small result. The social aspect alone is enough to sway results 15%.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Too much coffee for me results in anxiety and thinking "MY LIFE IS GOING NOWHERE" so yeah, I call bullshit. By "too much" I mean one single cup, I do half at most.

The only thing I've noticed is that when I sprint in the mornings, I can drink a bit more coffee and not feel odd, perhaps because my body is already "sped up" so to speak even hours after the fact.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast