Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Mehdi right, is milk the best post workout meal in the universe? page

dado Guest

Is Mehdi right, is milk the best post workout meal in the universe?

Primal Fuel
    Is it? Because that's what Mehdi said on his site and now, I drink a ton of milk after strength training. I feel good about myself.

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    I don't know who Medhi is, but Chocolate Milk has been a PWO drink for many years. Has the right amount of sugar and protein. If you can drink milk, I say go for it. I love milk.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    It's growth promoting, hence why the GOMAD method is purportedly so effective. If growth (overall growth! not just muscle) is what you're after then godspeed. Too much moderate fat dairy makes me gain unwanted body fat, the higher the fat the less fat I put on. Eat fat, lose fat, white is black, up is down.

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    I'm trying to remember where I read that fructose shuts down PWO growth hormone production. Maybe I'm misremembering. I'll have to go look. That would make the choco milk a little less appealing.

ETA: I found an article over at Mercola's site.
    Last edited by DaisyEater; 09-27-2011 at 09:49 AM.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Like iniQuity said, it's good if you're not afraid of gaining some body fat. At least if you're downing mass quantities. A glass or two wouldn't really hurt you in that respect. In my opinion, lean beef and mashed potatoes is the best PWO meal in the universe, but I'm a Leangains fanboy, so...

Quote Originally Posted by DaisyEater View Post
    I'm trying to remember where I read that fructose shuts down PWO growth hormone production. Maybe I'm misremembering. I'll have to go look. That would make the choco milk a little less appealing.

ETA: I found an article over at Mercola's site.
    True, sugar/insulin does blunt HGH. But insulin also stops the release of cortisol. Have to take that into consideration as well.
    If your main goal is to build muscle, I would forgo the minimal HGH release (more is released while you sleep) and repair the muscles and restore muscle glycogen.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Speaking of Mehdi, just saw on my reader (I signed up to SL's blog) that he's now accepting 1000 new gold members, not sure how much it costs, but whatever the price is it includes a monthly phonecall with mehdi. Assuming everybody takes advantage, that means he could get 1000 calls per month... FOREVER, or you know, for some time..

norak is offline Senior Member
    Who is this Mehdi person?
    Norak's Primal Journal:
    2010-07-23: ~255lbs, ~40.0"
    2011-11-03: ~230lbs, ~35.5"
    2011-12-07: ~220lbs, ~34.0"

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by norak View Post
    Who is this Mehdi person?
    he's the creator of stronglifts...though creator might be too much, since it's a lot like rippletoe's start strength program. he's got a pretty good blog, great articles and videos on how to do exercises, and (though i haven't been there in a while) his forums are great for information about lifting. a lot of people here, me included, have shown great success with his 5x5 beginners program.

Ah shit, 5x5 was him? Didn't know that, but I did it a few years back. Live and learn.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast