Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Berries and Cream question page

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

I know this is probably a stupid question... but when people say "berries and cream" do they mean a bowl of berries with some liquid cream poured on top?

Or is it some sort of whipped cream? (I'd assume without sugar... but...yeah...)

Cause every time people say "berries and cream" I want some, but I don't have much experience with cream in general. Such a dumb question I'm sure, but... how else am I supposed to learn? haha.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

musajen is offline Junior Member

When I talk about berries and cream, lately I mean berries with some liquid whipping cream poured over the top. It's delish. Sometimes I'll also whip up some cream (doesn't really need anything added to it) and just dip strawberries in it. Also very good. Currently I'm on a blueberries and cream kick. Mmmm - that sounds good right now actually.

RogerDeRok is offline Member

When I saw the title of this thread I immediately thought of that annoying Starburst commercial from a few years ago.

Nick Guest

The real name for sweetened, vanilla flavored whipped cream is chantilly cream, or la creme chantilly. So you'd actually be properly following their directions by not adding sugar.

You can safely leave out the sugar (or add a packet of the sweetener of your choice, if you like), but you might prefer to leave in a dash of vanilla extract for flavor.

I have one of those super fun nitrous oxide whipped cream canisters (you can also make chocolate mousse by melting chocolate into the cream and then chilling the canister after charging it..mmm.), but a hand beater or stick blender or whatever works well too.

musajen is offline Junior Member

Ha! I remember that commercial. You're right, very annoying.

Miriam Guest

Hey FlyNavyWife not a stupid question at all, (I just asked DCKMY why she would have sugar free syrup with bacon and eggs!).

The cream I use is just pure cream. A bowl of brambleberries with a bit of cream on top, no sugar or whipping needed, though you could whip it but it tastes good just as it is…mmm.

DiabetesCanKissMyButt is offline Senior Member

I'm on a bluebberries and cream kick myself. So good and satisfying. I just use the liquid heavy whipping cream and pour over the top of the berries.

Whoa, nick, that canister thingy sounds awesome... do you have a link to what you have ? I'd love to see it (and possibly get one too).

This all sounds quite delicious... and I make my own vanilla extract, so a dash of vanilla in some cream, whipped up, would probably be quite tasty...mmm.

Next shopping trip = cream. haha.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

Also, I have no idea what commercial you guys are talking about... guess it's not a bad thing to not have cable TV, huh? heh.

Nick Guest

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

The one I have is the iSi ThermoWhip. I think it's around $160 at Williams-Sonoma, but $115-120 online. This site has good prices and selection: http://www.creamright.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=SFNT&Store_Code=C#whipcream

I got mine as a christmas gift from my mother in law, and was entirely shocked when I found out how much it had cost (initially thought it was about 50 bucks). I'm sure if I'd bought it myself I'd have gone for one of the $40 ones. The cartridge prices of like $8-9 dollars for 24 are about right (they'll happily charge you $10.99 for 10 of them at any retail store). I found some slightly cheaper on amazon and ordered 72 of them so I'm set for a while.

Whipped cream probably lasts 3-4 days in the fridge. Although usually I only fire it up for when I have a bunch of people over for dinner, and they expend it all immediately on their desserts.

They also sell seltzer bottles and CO2 cartridges so you can make your own carbonated drinks at home (or just so you can not have to buy soda water by the liter at the store like a chump if you're planning on making some mojitos or something).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast