Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What type of blood tests should be done at physical? page

June is offline Senior Member

Question What type of blood tests should be done at physical?

Shop Now
    Hi all - sorry for posting this here, but I couldn't figure out where to post it and I know a lot of people view this section.

My fiance is going for a physical next month. He is not primal (although he happily eats what I cook) and out of shape (doesn't exercise & overweight with some pain issues).

What kind of blood work should he have done? I'd like to send him with a list. I know there are some specifics like small vs. large LDL that I want, but what else would be good?

I love him and I want to make sure everything is covered!!

Thank you so much!

dado Guest
    i don't believe in blood tests

i mean, what's the point? you already know he's at death's door, the blood test will only confirm this. what you do is you have him get healthy, exercise, and eat the primal dishes.
    Last edited by dado; 09-27-2011 at 05:09 AM.

wildwabbit is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dado View Post
    i don't believe in blood tests

i mean, what's the point? you already know he's at death's door, the blood test will only confirm this. what you do is you have him get healthy, exercise, and eat the primal dishes.
    I disagree. Its good to have a baseline should he ever get convinced to get serious. I really wish I knew what my cholesterol was before I went primal so I could have measured the improvement.

I do agree about one point: unless the blood tests change his mind in a useful way that makes them a baseline for improvements, they will be essentially useless.

To the OP: get a VAP cholesterol test. chemistry/cbc is somewhat useful too.
    You might want to get blood tests at the same time. If he eats what you eat, any poor results could be blamed on your cooking. The only way to counter that is if your blood results are better. Could become a source of friction and interpretation so beware on that count too.

dado Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by wildwabbit View Post
    I disagree. Its good to have a baseline should he ever get convinced to get serious. I really wish I knew what my cholesterol was before I went primal so I could have measured the improvement.

I do agree about one point: unless the blood tests change his mind in a useful way that makes them a baseline for improvements, they will be essentially useless.

To the OP: get a VAP cholesterol test. chemistry/cbc is somewhat useful too.
    You might want to get blood tests at the same time. If he eats what you eat, any poor results could be blamed on your cooking. The only way to counter that is if your blood results are better. Could become a source of friction and interpretation so beware on that count too.
    You bring strong ideas to the table. This is all true, all of it.

Thanks for the replies. I just got my generic blood work done and everything is perfect, in fact my doctor specifically called me to tell me she has never seen such good Vitamin-D levels in the Cleveland area and wanted to know what I was doing.

Since we met, he has been slowly but steadily working on getting healthier and I'd like to see some blood tests to use as a baseline.

Dado - There is no way I could/would ever force him to do anything. I'm a firm believer in people needing to find the motivation for change themselves.

He is moving in with me about the same day that he gets his blood work done, so it will be perfect timing baseline-wise. Right now he eats mainly fast food, but he has started grocery shopping and cooking sometimes. He knows that what I cook is what he will eat and he has no problems with that (says my cooking is good anyway).

Of course being such a health nut, it does upset me to see someone I love live a lifestyle I don't agree with, but I used to be the same way!! I have those types of discussions with him. I also teach him things about health and nutrition, and he teaches me about politics. He is really just clueless on it all - very SAD. He is mildly interested in it, and happy to eat what I make, and that is a lot better than some people who have to cook two meals just to please their SO.

Anyways, back to the point, I'd really like to know what other tests we can use a baseline. Thank you to all for responding; I really appreciate it.

dado Guest
    Why is your Vitamin-D level so strong?

I told her that I don't believe in chemical sunblock and I get ample sun. When I feel like I'm getting too much sun then I cover up with clothing or go to shade. In the winter, I've been going to Texas often and laying out by the pool (fiance lives in TX) and when I couldn't get to Texas, then I'd hit up a tanning bed or supplement with Vitamin D3.

In addition to my lower-carb, animal-rich, whole foods diet which she already knew about.

Ferti is offline Senior Member
    ^+1 I thought the same thing. Do tell.

I don't know if you all have ever read The Diet Cure, but I really like that book and I use it as a baseline for my supplements as related to my issues around depression and mood disorders. I can really tell when my D levels are not high enough - like I can feel it. When they are high, I can feel it and I just feel happy and normal. I'm not sure how to explain it, but I really somehow know when I need to get them up.

reflex is offline Member
    TSH, ALT, GFR, CBC, direct LDL (VAP looks great!), A1C are the basics.
    If he is 50+ can consider PSA (controversial).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast