Thread: New Aussie Primal page

luvasteak is offline Junior Member

New Aussie Primal

Primal Fuel
    Hello,

Wow - where to start? I have only just gone primal (love that word!) - about three years ago I lost 22kgs from following a vlc diet and cardio exercise. Since then I have been struggling to keep it off and I mean a daily struggle. After recently putting on 10kg in a couple of months I thought there is something wrong -it shouldn't be this way - anyway I discovered via a naturopath that I had little muscle and mostly fat. So I started weight training at home, just a little bit here and there and was diligent with my daily cardio. I still couldn't shake that weight - then I realised that every time I ate carbs I blew up like a balloon, the naturopath said I was gluten intolerant and had an allergy to wheat. Oh OK now what?????

After sometime surfing the net I somehow landed on information about something called a paleo diet, I had never heard of this before. I was initially very skeptical WHAT eat meat and fat???? And this is healthy! You've got to be kidding! I had been a vegetarian for the past 12 months as I thought hormone laden meat was my enemy. Anyway the more I researched the more I thought, you know what this makes a hell of a lot of sense!!

Two weeks in and 4 kilos lighter I'm quietly convinced that I'm onto a good thing. I say quietly because a few times I've mentioned about carbs/protein etc I get the "What! I can't give up my bread what will I eat?" So I've decided to keep it to myself until people notice how good I'm looking and ask me what I've been doing

I have also set up a home gym and am diligently doing a full body workout three times a week - I still do my cardio in the morning as I am hypothyroid and insulin resistant and this supposedly burns off the excess glucose. Also, it's REALLY hard to go against ALL the YEARS of brainwashing... baby steps.

Anyway, I just wanted to say Hi from Perth Australia and say what a wonderful site this has been for fantastic information.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Welcome! I hope primal goes really well for you.

I say quietly because a few times I've mentioned about carbs/protein etc I get the "What! I can't give up my bread what will I eat?" So I've decided to keep it to myself until people notice how good I'm looking and ask me what I've been doing
    That's the right approach.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Moe
    Moe is offline Junior Member
    Hi Luvasteak! Fellow Perth WA Primal here. Welcome and good luck!

I'm also IR with underactive thyroid production so I know what you're struggling with. If you ever need a Primal buddy drop me a line.

sarahz is offline Senior Member
    Hi ya another here from Perth.

WOW! So many from Perth!
    This is fantastic as I don't know anyone who is on the primal path. Having just started I will certainly be asking a lot of questions.

Hi Moe!

Can I ask how long you have been on primal and if you find it has helped you?

dadinabarrel is offline Junior Member
    G'day Luvasteak
    I'm in Perth as well, also just starting out as a new born Primal man. I feel different already, I've only been solidly on it for about three days but I know my body, I'm losing weight already. At 112kg on a stocky build (mesomorph) I am targeting 90kg by Christmas. I feel confidant that I'll get there and that I'll stay there for the rest of my life.

Over the last couple of years I have trained with Kettlebells and beach sprints, with occasional yoga. I live by the beach in Secret Harbour. I've struggled with ever rising weight for 20 years (I'm now 43)
    Even when I train hard, I just keep getting bigger. I had a lap band fitted. Worst thing I have ever done to myself. I've done weight watchers with my wife, been in the "Zone", followed Dr Atkins, calorie counted, etc etc etc. It's all crap. For me anyway.

My greatest passion now (apart from my family) is Stand Up Paddleboarding which has taken over from surfing as I am now too slow and fat to surf.

I ordered the book from Mark a week ago, I hope he has Australian shipping as I'm desperate to read it. How long did yours take to arrive? It all makes perfect sense to me, the more carbs I eat, the hungrier I get, especially Corona carbs. I'm happy to say goodbye to those little buggers.

I'm running at C100g:P150g:F150g, what are you doing?

All the best fellow Cave Man

I wish I had gills...

Tim

Hiya Dadinabarrel - great to hear you are feeling so well on Primal. It's the weirdest thing isn't it - it just makes sense! Of course the more carbs we eat, the blood sugar spikes then drops, then we are hungry again and need to eat, then we get addicted (unknowingly) to the 'sugar' carbs. And around and round it goes, until one day we wake up and think OMG how did I gain all this weight???

After I lost 20ks on a vlc diet I can remember eating a sandwich and feeling like I'd put on a couple of kilos, of course at the time I thought impossible - but back then I didn't know about the carbs being so deadly to my body. Sounds like you have been through the mill on your weight loss journey, I can relate to one struggle after the other and then finally finding the reason behind it all.

I am actually just a hop skip and jump from you, up the road in Rockingham! I haven't tried Stand Up Paddleboarding, but I do love to walk my dog along the beach regularly, she's still a pup and the beach is the best thing in her life - aahh it's the little things that matter.

I don't really measure what I eat, I just eat when I'm hungry, don't eat when I'm not. At the moment I'm trying to cut back on snacks and only eat three meals a day. But I'm not stressing over it - it'll happen all in good time.

(whisper) I have'nt bought the book yet... I've just been doing a heap of research online... I'm guessing it's still OK to be on this forum without reading the book...