Thread: Impact Carbs page

ndoodle5 Guest

Primal Fuel

Are carbs carbs? Are the highly advertised low carbohydrate alternatives tricking low carb dieters? I am new to primal, but have restricted my carbohydrates in the past. I was curious whether the primal diet distinguishes between what is referred to as "net impact carbs" versus other carbohydrates? Low carbohydrate bars for instance have 20-30g carbohydrate but then claim to only have 1 net carb. Is this a scam? ...an appealing, but false advertisement? Most of these bars contain rediculous amount of sugar alcohols as their substitute. As a scientist I can appreciate how bad this may be for our bodies. Do you know any details on this topic?

AuH2Ogirl is offline Senior Member

Primal diet distinguishes between crap and non-crap. Low carb bars are probably crap.

JamieBelle is offline Member

I'm so happy to see someone else refer to processed food as "crap". I recently got a lot of "crap" from a loved one for doing so.

AuH2Ogirl is offline Senior Member

Well, it is what it is.

Kristen Guest

I've heard of "protein wraps" but basically they are just like regular wraps with a higher protein count. They are still made with grains, and are still bad. My theory is that if there are more than 2 ingredients that are chemicals or I can't pronounce without using the sesame street wall, then it's not going in my body.

Acmebike is offline Member

Primal trends towards a low-carb plan, but low carb plans are NOT necessarily Primal! Processed crap foods are crap, for sure.

If it is advertised on TV or magazines, if it makes a claim on its' packaging, hell, if it *comes* in packaging, it likely is not a Primal food, and is best avoided.

I was just listening to Robb Wolf's podcast (the Paleolithic Solution) and he was discussing that even "zero calorie" sweeteners do cause an insulin spike in many if not most people. So, be on the safe side and avoid any of those "low carb products" and stick to the original "low carb" products:

veggies, fish, fowl, meat, eggs, nuts, certain dairy for certain folks, and a little fruit and berries as you see fit.

emmie is offline Senior Member

All those products are processed 'crap' and should be avoided.'

I don't use any artificial sweeteners at all because I discovered (as posted above) that they actually do cause an insulin spike in me (and make me hungry). My body treats them the same as sugar.

Whole foods is the best way to go.

Brad is offline Member

PrimalCon New York

If you want a good low carb bar thats not "crap" get yourself some good grassfed beef jerky...