Thread: 20+ years vegetarian, now attempting primal and feeling pretty good page

primalphilly is offline Junior Member

20+ years vegetarian, now attempting primal and feeling pretty good

Shop Now
    Hello all,

longtime lurker and I finally registered... I'm a woman in my early 30's, was raised vegetarian (lacto-ova) and started eating fish and meat in my mid twenties. I'm 5'6" and was never grossly overweight, but probably hit 160 or close to it when vegetarian and drinking lots as we do in our early twenties

I've spend a lot of time eating CW healthy, and then started reading about primal/paleo about 9 months ago. I started Crossfit a few months ago and it has been a revelation. I know it's not for everyone, but it is for me, and for the first time in my life I look a exercise from the perspective of performance, not weight loss. This has been incredibly motivating and I am in the best shape of my life.

I'm currently around 140lbs and looking to drop some body fat and dial in the diet. I think my biggest barrier is really announcing to the BF and the world around me, "I am eating this way," and actually sticking to it. I'm a good cook, and when left to my own devices, can make delicious primal meals... it's just the weekends and the boyfriend's fried noodles that are a problem.

In addition, I see improvement in my GERD and anxiety from eliminating wheat, so that's got me more interested in a more strict diet.

Looking forward to interacting more with the primal community!

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    Hiya!

I was a vegetarian for many years as well. I don't know about you, but I'm eating way more vegetables now than I ever did when I was a vegetarian.

Quote Originally Posted by primalphilly View Post
    ... for the first time in my life I look a exercise from the perspective of performance, not weight loss. This has been incredibly motivating and I am in the best shape of my life.
    Isn't it great? My hope is that more women can discover this for themselves. Life-changing.

I also find I prefer group exercise (although I do something other than CF). Glad you found something that works for you.

Welcome to the tribe.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

gunnk is offline Senior Member
    GERD was a big primal win for me. I bought the BIG bottles of Tums. Couldn't sleep through the night without a trip to the medicine cabinet. Couldn't get through the workday without them. Ugh! After dropping simple starches as a test, I saw big improvement within 4 days and took my FINAL antacid two weeks later. That was January. The experience led me to Primal -- which in turn led me to discover that wheat was the cause of my asthma, so ANOTHER big win.

All I can say is welcome aboard! This is a great community with some really smart folks. I hope your experience will be as good as mine has!
    Life is short: Void the warranty.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Welcome! This place is full of us ex-vegetarians.

I think my biggest barrier is really announcing to the BF and the world around me, "I am eating this way," and actually sticking to it. I'm a good cook, and when left to my own devices, can make delicious primal meals... it's just the weekends and the boyfriend's fried noodles that are a problem.

In addition, I see improvement in my GERD and anxiety from eliminating wheat, so that's got me more interested in a more strict diet.
    It's ok to be flexible about some aspects of primal. (I eat lots of potatoes.) But you gotta find a way to avoid the wheat. Good luck.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

primalphilly is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for the welcome! Looking forward to participating.