Thread: Quick Question page

Goldstar is offline Senior Member

Quick Question

Primal Fuel
    I read on this forum that all I need to do to ferment my heavy whipping cream is add a couple tablespoons buttermilk and let it sit out for 24 hours.

Is this correct and does the cream or buttermilk have to be raw for this to work or does buttermilk have cultures in it?

I suppose adding greek yogurt to the heavy cream would work the same?

BodyByBacon is offline Junior Member
    That's how I make creme fraiche (sp?). It is delicious but definitely doesn't retain that whipping cream flavor. I've never tried it using Greek yogurt.

Goldstar is offline Senior Member
    Awesome, thanks! Do I have to cover it with a paper towel or something while it's fermenting?

oliviascotland is online now Senior Member
    I made it once with yoghurt (not Greek, though, it has to be said) and the texture wasn't quite as good - but it still tasted fine. I would hazard a guess that the thicker Greek yoghurt would work better. I make my own yoghurt, anyway, so it was just easier to try that!

Edit to add that I use an electric yoghurt maker, so couldn't comment on whether you need to wrap it - although I reckon that covering the fermenting cream would be a good idea. My mother used to wrap a blanket around a covered glass jar and pop it in the airing cupboard when making yoghurt when I was little!

Finnabair is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Greek yogurt is made by straining the whey out of regular yogurt, so Greek yogurt as a culture won't affect the thickness of your products.

If you want to use buttermilk as a culture, be sure you read labels in the store and purchase one with live cultures.

Buttermilk is cultured at room temperature. Yogurt is cultured at 110 to 120.

You can also go to CheeseMaking - Online Store and purchase culture packets for buttermilk, yogurt, etc.

Finn
    ~owner of Quirky Goat Farm, maker of cheese and yogurt for friends and family