Thread: Southern Fried Primal, Y'all page

Clutch is offline Junior Member

Southern Fried Primal, Y'all

Shop Now
    Greetings, y'all! I'm Ronnie and I hail from Watson, LA - basically a semi-country 'burb of Baton Rouge. I went primal for New Year 2011 in yet another round of failed "get fit, get healthy" resolution. I knew I had to do something different - but THIS different? What the heck.

So I've silently gone about my primal business slowly creeping into the lifestyle in baby steps. This past weekend I gathered the last few non-primal foodstuffs in our home and donated it to a friend who is more concerned with just having enough to eat rather than what it is exactly. Food wise we (we = me and "The Redhead" - my wife) have gone totally primal.

I live in south Louisiana where based on the latest numbers I can find 77% of all men in their 50s (I'm 53) are overweight or obese. Gumbo, Jambalaya, fried catfish, fried oyster poboys, a dear fondness with breads and bread puddings, boudin, boiled crawfish with corn on the cob and potatoes, fried everything, rice & gravy - the list goes on and on and it's been a real journey to convert my Cajun favorites into primal favorites - what I call "primalizing" a dish. We have a saying down here, "Most people eat to live, in Louisiana we live to eat" should be indicative of the uphill battle I faced. Eating and eating a lot is simply part of socializing. At times I felt as though I was in some integral way turning my back on my Cajun traditions regarding food and socializing but I've since come to realize I've simply adopted a more common sense tradition when it comes to food and clinging closer to the rest of my heritage - I'm even learning some of the language of my forebears I'd never known before!

Anyway, I've gone from 208 pounds to 144 pounds. I look better, I feel better, I think clearer, I have far more energy than a 53 year old man should have and I give the credit to the PB. Heck, I even served a primal meal during this past Saturday's LSU game to the rave reviews of my sports buddies!

My wife is on board with me 100% and we're both thrilled at the changes we're seeing in ourselves... I mean WE see in ourselves great improvement in body composition, energy and overall well being.

Like I've said The Redhead and I have gone this on our own - our friends and family think we've totally lost it - with nothing more than Mark's book and the quick and easy meals cookbook and a butt load of determination. It can be done.

Oddly, all those family and friends are showing the first signs of transitioning from, "y'all are crazy" to "OK, what are y'all doing?"... I tell them all the same thing: "Get the book, read the book - it'll open your eyes".

Problem is now that I've jumped into this forum I may not shut up!

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    i thought this was gonna be a recipe when i clicked the title haha welcome, welcome!
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

Brewing The Chaos is offline Junior Member
    Welcome! I live in Mobile, AL and I have family in the New Orleans area, so I definitely understand the difficulty of going Primal in the Deep South. Congrats on making the commitment, and I am glad that Primal is working out so well for you. I hope you can convince your skeptical friends and family to join you in your journey.

Clutch is offline Junior Member
    As what we define as "winter" approaches, Brewing, I'm going to commit to an experiment - primal gumbo. The seafood part is no problem, the rice can be substituted by grated cauliflower - but the roux? Yeesh... that's gonna be challenge!

SoccerGrok is offline Senior Member
    Awesome work Clutch. Good for you n red:-) I've a good friend who is a professor at LSU, and the times i've gone to see him have been a cardiac nightmare. Was quite an eye opener at first. Good luck in your Turning the Bayou Primal:-) Rock Out with your Grok Out!

Texas_Redbird is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewing The Chaos View Post
    Welcome! I live in Mobile, AL and I have family in the New Orleans area, so I definitely understand the difficulty of going Primal in the Deep South. Congrats on making the commitment, and I am glad that Primal is working out so well for you. I hope you can convince your skeptical friends and family to join you in your journey.
    I grew up on the Baldwin County side but now am out here on the Lone Prairie.
    We're all put to the test... but it never comes in the form or at the point we would prefer, does it?

Prairie Primal