Thread: Starch Free Sausage Gravy page

karstyl is offline Junior Member

Starch Free Sausage Gravy

Primal Fuel
    Sausage Gravy

1 lb breakfast sausage
    1 cup heavy cream
    1 egg yolk

Fry sausage until done, turn off heat. While sausage is frying, take the egg yolk and beat it in a bowl with about 1/4 c. of the cream. With the heat off, put the rest of the cold cream (the non-egg'ed cream) in the hot sausage to cool it off in the pan. Once it is only warm, add the cream with egg and start mixing. When it is thoroughly mixed, turn the heat on low and heat until thickened.

I made this with some of the pastured pork breakfast sausage I got in my local meat CSA this week, and OMG it was really, really good. I was going to make some coconut flour/egg biscuits to put it on, but it did not need it. If you want to use thick, full fat coconut milk instead of the cream is would probably work, but the taste of the coconut would make it taste less like traditional sausage gravy. The egg yolk for thickener worked quite well, and I now have a go-to for a thickener that is not starch based.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Sounds good.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Gweebles is offline Member
    I will have to try that. I'm out of glucomannan right now so I need another thickener.
    Success is getting what you want, Happiness is wanting what you get~Brother Dave Gardner

oelkesm is offline Junior Member
    I know this is an older thread, but I just wanted to say that this gravy recipe works great! I used ground breakfast sausage from US Wellness meats and added plenty of salt and pepper and it thickened up nicely and was SO good! Thanks for the tip Karstyl!

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Heavy cream is too rich for me straight. I dilute it about 1:3 and put it through the blender with soaked cashews, which blend perfectly smooth and then thicken the sauce when it heats. Don't forget the salt, and lots of freshly ground black pepper.