Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Help from fellow grokettes please! page 3

AuH2Ogirl is offline Senior Member

Again, as chocolatechip said, it may have something to do with the ED. It may take a bit to repair itself. I wouldn't worry about losing weight, just worry about being healthy.

missalex Guest

Damn those girls are badass!

I'll keep researching and giving myself a break about the weight gain. I'll just have to trust my body.

Thanks.

FairyRae2 Guest

Missalex, I just wanted to second this:

[quote]As a woman, if your body fat is 17%, YOU DON&#39;T NEED TO LOSE WEIGHT!</blockquote>
    I agree that you do NOT need to lose weight. I&#39;m wondering if some of your wanting to lose weight is related to your past ED?? (I&#39;ve had multiple a long time ago, and the mindset switch from weight loss to health, which was a concious effort, was HUGE for me in terms of healing and weightloss actually.)

I&#39;m 5&#39;10, 163 lbs, and the healthiest and most wonderful feeling I&#39;ve ever been. I don&#39;t feel the need to lose more weight, but if it happens as I continue eating primally and working out etc, I&#39;m fine w/ it. But it&#39;s not a major goal of mine. IMO you are perfect where you are!!!

I would continue to focus on health and eating primal and everything, but *try* to let go of the weight loss stuff, even just for now! I don&#39;t have any helpful info about period stuff, although, are you taking the supps recommended by Mark (good multi, probiotics and fish oil?) Maybe that could help?

Good luck!!!

missalex Guest

Ok, I think I was just thinking I was really heavy compared to all the other women on here. Seeing as they are all a lot shorter than me though, I guess it makes sense they would be lighter.

I think there might be something hormonal since not only have I not had a period, but my breasts have shrunk as well. Tmi??? Sorry. But it&#39;s true. They are a lot smaller than they were even in middle school which is kinda depressing for a college girl...

I guess I have spent so much of my life thinking that thinner is always better it is hard to shake that mentality. I am a lot better than I used to be since going primal. My moods are so much more stable and I don&#39;t obsess over food or my next meal anymore. That is HUGE for me.

Thanks guys.

go_ginger_go Guest

If you have PCOS, you&#39;d have a lot more going on than just missed periods and you&#39;d know something was really off in your whole system. I know someone who has PCOS, and it&#39;s awful stuff. Have you ever seen those women that have a beard and are balding and carry their fat distributed like a man? That is PCOS.

missalex Guest

mmmm no, I carry fat like a woman. A girl told me I have birthing hips the other day. I tried not to be insulted haha.

go_ginger_go Guest

I&#39;m sure she meant it as a compliment. Birthing hips are good.

JamieBelle is offline Member

At 5-10 158, I&#39;d say you are AT MOST 8 lbs over your ideal weight, and that is not much at all. In fact, it&#39;s probably totally negligible, especially if you&#39;re fit.

jen
    jen is offline Junior Member

I don&#39;t know enough about the mechanics of dietary habits on reproductive health to offer specific advice (so you should proberly take what I say with a pinch of salt!), but your situation pretty much mirrors my own. I lost about 5 stone on a low fat, low protein, low cal, mainly vegan diet. For 16 months AFTER losing the weight (but still following the same basic diet), my menstrual cycle stopped. I started eating higher fat/protein in the summer, and it&#39;s only now that my periods have resumed (I should also note that I&#39;ve also put on well over a stone since then - I&#39;m struggling with being heavier, and would prefer to be slimmer. But although I&#39;m cutting back on the "extras" to lose some pounds, I have to remind myself that it&#39;s better to be healthy and bigger, than thinner and unhealthy, to stop myself from returning to old, destructive patterns of eating (even though I know I could lose the weight quicker by doing so).

From the research I&#39;ve done, it seems quite normal for periods to stop after weight loss, and it can take quite a while for them to resume once normal eating patterns are established (I guess the body needs to feel certain of getting its nutritional needs met on a consistent basis before it will allow for the possibly of reproduction). It may take a few more months of maintaining a healthy weight (even if this feels heavier than you&#39;d like), and consuming adequate calories from fat and protein before your periods start again. But this is just from my experience - if it continues any longer I&#39;d definitely recommend going back to the Doctor.

And by the way, 158lb is by no stretch of the imagination "heavy" or overweight for someone of 5 10 - it sounds to me the ideal weight for your height (and I envy your body fat percentage!). You really don&#39;t need to lose weight - and cutting back on calories and fats/proteins at this stage may undo the last few months of good eating in terms of resuming a normal cycle (and in the long term, this is way more important than being very thin!). Good luck!

Indiscreet is offline Junior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Well I&#39;m 160lbs currently at 5&#39;7 - not thrilled about that (some of it is Christmas weight) and need to drop about 10lbs. But 158lbs isn&#39;t heavy at all for someone of your height, unless you are comparing yourself to Hollywood lollipop heads and emaciated models.

I&#39;ll just relate something that happened to me back in 2007. I started Crossfit thinking it would give me a nice six pack (never had one of those) in time for my 40th birthday in June. Worked out pretty hard, lost some weight. Then I started getting sick. First it was cystitis, plus vertigo and a feeling of being spaced out and weird a lot (almost like being drunk, except with perfect lucidity). Started getting palpitations and my periods got really irregular. I thought oh crap, it&#39;s the menopause already. Went to the doctors and had various test. Nothing wrong with the bloods, blood pressure/sugar, ears - in fact the only thing that came up was the cystitis. Got put on antibiotics for a bit and felt slightly better.

Went on holiday (which was fine) and then eased back into working out the way I used to (heavy weights, plenty of rest between sets. No metcons) but then started going down with every virus going - cold, flu, some 24 hour vomiting/headache thing that hit right in the middle of a good friend&#39;s wedding. Then bronchitis over Christmas. Got another cold in Feb. Again had tests and the only thing that came up was a low white cell count.

At this point I did some &#39;net research. I saw various things on adrenal fatigue but then I found a page on aspartame and I had so many of the symptoms of aspartame poisoning that it wasn&#39;t funny. I was a chronic gum chewer. I quit cold turkey. I&#39;m not sure if it was a combination of that, and the Crossfit (I&#39;ve heard of a lot of people who have worn their immune systems down doing that) but I spent about 9 months feeling like crap.

But, after that February 2008 cold, I&#39;ve been healthy as a horse. Regular periods again, no dizziness, no cystitis or viruses (a few times I&#39;ve felt like I&#39;ve been about to get a cold but it&#39;s never lasted more than a day).

Not saying this is anything to do with you but your menstrual issues could be linked to your suppressed immune system so check out anything that could be stressing you, whether it&#39;s aspartame, exercising too intensely, work stress or anything you can think of. Do check out the PCOS as well and good luck.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast