Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Help from fellow grokettes please! page 2

missalex Guest

Primal Fuel

EEK!

That link said I have 24% body fat!

missalex Guest

Oh, also- I was on the pill for hormonal issues since I was 17. I stopped those about a year ago cause I got tired of paying for them. I don't know if that would do anything. I haven't gotten a period though since I stopped those as well.

Pikaia is offline Junior Member

Wait, you need to recalibrate your expectations! 24% is considered an acceptable, fit body fat percentage for a woman.

And if you're not menstruating, 24% is a GOOD place to be, because it proves the problem isn't body fat. Your doctor won't be able to look at you and say, "Well, of course you're not menstruating! You need to gain fat!" Your doctor will have to look deeper to find the cause.

missalex Guest

True true.

I am just used to being a long distance runner in high school where girls were at 12-14%.

What were the hormonal issues? Did you see a gynecologist for this, or was it handled by a primary care physician?

Call your doctor's office and ask for copies of all of your records, then go see a gynecologist. The Pill is a very common treatment for PCOS, so maybe PCOS was suspected at the time it was prescribed to you.

ccarrigan is offline Junior Member

I am 5'10 as well, and usually hover anywhere between 155-175 depending on how intensely I'm exercising and how vigilant I am being @ Primal. That being said, In order for me to maintain 155, I need to be crazy vigilant and it's not 'fun'. Perhaps due to past issues with body image and ED you have a skewed idea of what an ideal weight/body comp is? I know we all like to see ourselves ripped and crazy lean, but it sounds to me like you are at a healthy weight for your height.

missalex Guest

I was just having intense mood swings really. And irregular periods. Funnily enough though the pill made it worse. Also, I was a hard core carb junkie so that probably didn't help. I will do some research on PCOS. Thanks!

missalex Guest

@ccarrigan- Yeah, maybe you're right. That would be frustrating if true though. I guess maybe I am not meant to be tiny. I did look pretty bad when I had an ED. I used to weigh 115 lbs. At 5'10".

You don't want to be a tiny girl.

Tiny girls get eaten by tigers.

You want to be strong!

If you need inspiration, look at these women. They are not tiny, and they are not lightweight!

http://library.crossfit.com/free/pdf...InStrength.pdf

missalex Guest

haha true that Pikaia. A friend of mine's mom has always called me the Amazon or Xena cause of my stature. I've been looking up PCOS and some of it rings true but some not. So I'll keep hunting. Thanks a bunch guys.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast