Thread: Counting veggie carbs page

ar0e is offline Member

Counting veggie carbs

Primal Fuel
    I don't count calories at all anymore and I eat plenty of healthy fat and protein. Is it possible to go over the 50-75 grams of carbs in the leptin reset if your just eating veggies? I know an onion has like 10 grams and I probably eat a whole onion a day, probably 2 whole tomatoes daily, a whole bell pepper, at least 2-3 cups of lettuce, and the other night I ate almost 2 whole zucchini. Is this enough to push me over the carb limit and possibly prevent weight loss?

Sonnenblume is offline Senior Member
    Paul Jaminet at "The perfect Health Diet" wrote on how you shouldn´t really count them as the first 40 kcal serve the gut bacteria as fuel in the process of digesting plant matter. Given the fact that typical vegetables offer 80 kcal/pound (and part of it is fructose not glucose) there doesn`t remain much to be counted...

NataliaJade is offline Junior Member
    And don't forget calorie counting sites like fitday include grams of fibre in carb count. So to get the whole amount of carbs in what you're eating you could go to fitday.com and select all your veg then add up the fibres and subtract that number from the total carb count.
    GAPS diet for 2 years/Low Oxalate for 6 months. iherb code- GEC562

"The farther your researches advance, the greater you will realize the simplicity of all creation."- Dr. Edward Bach

honeypig is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NataliaJade View Post
    And don't forget calorie counting sites like fitday include grams of fibre in carb count. So to get the whole amount of carbs in what you're eating you could go to fitday.com and select all your veg then add up the fibres and subtract that number from the total carb count.
    As mentioned above, subtracting fiber from total carbs would give net carbs. It seems I have seen it mentioned that the number of grams of carbs, either specifically in the leptin reset or in the Primal diet in general, is TOTAL carbs, not net carbs. Can anybody confirm one way or the other?

NataliaJade is offline Junior Member
    On Atkins it is net carbs that count- carbs minus fibre. But i just read elsewhere that paleo and primal use total carbs.. Hopefully someone else can chime in on this because I just assumed primal used net carbs.
    GAPS diet for 2 years/Low Oxalate for 6 months. iherb code- GEC562

"The farther your researches advance, the greater you will realize the simplicity of all creation."- Dr. Edward Bach

demuralist is online now Senior Member
    in the Leptin Reset Dr. Kruse specifically says that it is total carbs, disregards the fiber. Not sure about any other Leptin Reset protocol.

back to the OP, Dr. Kruse suggests less than 25g of carbs if you are obese, less than 50 if you are overweight. You can go over on both if you are not watching portions depending on the veggie. I would track for a while so you can get a feel for amounts of food and which ones work best for carb restriction.
    Last edited by demuralist; 09-26-2011 at 06:06 AM. Reason: finish
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 5:2 -2 day fast diet with real food every day

June is offline Senior Member
    Primal counts total carbs not net carbs