Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Way off topic...but I have nowhere else to turn. page

  1. #1
    JimS's Avatar
    JimS is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    14

    Way off topic...but I have nowhere else to turn.

    Shop Now
    Sorry for having to do this, but I have a computer issue that's driving me nuts.

    First of all, I am a member here and lurk daily (I rarely post). Like I said, I wouldn't be imposing but the Mac Store wants $49.99 to answer this question! Or I have to sign up for "Apple Care" (and pay).

    It's a small issue...I'm just not savvy with a Mac (but that's what I own). Anyway, all of sudden, when I turned on my MacBook Air (I'm running Snow Leopard), I have this very annoying black box floating around on the display...and I can't get rid of it.

    I appears to be some sort of "assist" box, because it mimics everything I type, makes clicking noises, and also (at startup) speaks to me.

    It is driving me nuts and I wan to make it go away.

    Any Mac heads out there that are willing to lend a hand?

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Goldstar's Avatar
    Goldstar is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    264
    I don't know anything about Macs and neither does my hubby (but he knows more about PCs than me) and he says it sounds like some sort of assistive technology for blind people that got turned on by accident. He says that there should be some sort of equivalent on the Mac to the PC's "control panel" window where you can turn on and off various preferences. That's all we know, HTH!

  3. #3
    JimS's Avatar
    JimS is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldstar View Post
    I don't know anything about Macs and neither does my hubby (but he knows more about PCs than me) and he says it sounds like some sort of assistive technology for blind people that got turned on by accident. He says that there should be some sort of equivalent on the Mac to the PC's "control panel" window where you can turn on and off various preferences. That's all we know, HTH!
    Thanks, Goldstar. I fumbled around and figured it out. I believe what happened is one of my cats decided to either walk across or take a nap on my keyboard and they hit a key combination that set the silly thing on.

  4. #4
    jammies's Avatar
    jammies is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,522

  5. #5
    Goldstar's Avatar
    Goldstar is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    264
    Quote Originally Posted by JimS View Post
    Thanks, Goldstar. I fumbled around and figured it out. I believe what happened is one of my cats decided to either walk across or take a nap on my keyboard and they hit a key combination that set the silly thing on.
    Haha, that happens to me all the time. Last time my cursor disappeared. Gotta love em! Glad you fixed it.

  6. #6
    ingtoncreti's Avatar
    ingtoncreti is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    5
    believe what happened is one of my cats decided


  7. #7
    MudLily's Avatar
    MudLily is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    153
    My cat managed to turn the whole screen display upside down once. I didn't know that was even possible, let alone that there would be a keyboard shortcut.

  8. #8
    JimS's Avatar
    JimS is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by MudLily View Post
    My cat managed to turn the whole screen display upside down once. I didn't know that was even possible, let alone that there would be a keyboard shortcut.
    Yup. That happened to me, too. On my PC. Took us forever to get it right. I was about to ask the cat.

  9. #9
    jfreaksho's Avatar
    jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,961
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by MudLily View Post
    My cat managed to turn the whole screen display upside down once. I didn't know that was even possible, let alone that there would be a keyboard shortcut.
    This used to happen to my customers all the time. Really. From sitting their fat arses on the keyboards. I think the keyboard shortcut on the systems we sold was CTRL-ALT-UP Arrow or CTRL-ALT-DN Arrow. Then they'd call me at two in the morning, even though the problem had been there for 9 hours.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •