Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frequent urination page

ib4student is offline Member

Frequent urination

Primal Fuel
    I've been relatively primal since this summer (although being forced into a university meal plan has made that difficult). Recently I've quit wheat completely, and only occasionally consume small amounts of fermented oats or rice.

However, I have also been having to urinate a lot, in small amounts (on average, about every other hour or so). This includes when I go to sleep--I generally have to get up twice each night (I get about 8 hours of sleep). I've tried cutting out all caffeine (I'm not a coffee drinker, but I usually have some white and green tea throughout the day. In the evenings, I only drink herbal "tea".)
    ...this didn't really seem to change anything :-/ I don't feel like I'm really drinking all that much water.

For reference, it's usually rather clear.

I don't believe that I'm in ketosis--I probably eat a bit more fruit than I should.

For reference: I'm 20, male, 5'11", 150 lbs, ~10% body fat
    Last edited by ib4student; 09-25-2011 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Added personal info

NataliaJade is offline Junior Member
    What foods are you eating? What's a typical day?
    GAPS diet for 2 years/Low Oxalate for 6 months. iherb code- GEC562

"The farther your researches advance, the greater you will realize the simplicity of all creation."- Dr. Edward Bach

Today I had a ton of spinach, half a lemon, carrots, tomatoes, cucumber, cage-free eggs, nitrite-free bacon, organic white tea, pulled pork, kimchi, sunflower seeds and macadamias. I also had an apple + banana + hemp seed (organic, ground, and filtered for higher protein content) smoothie. I was out of yogurt so I put heavy cream in it and it turned out good.

Breakfast is always 3 to 5 eggs along with bacon or tomatoes + scallions (since those have been in season recently). I usually use oregano, cumin, thyme, and basil for my spices.

Lunch is generally whatever the cafeteria has. I usually stick to the salad bar (spinach, carrots, etc.) I'm on the lowest meal plan (10 meals a week, can't wait until next year when I'm no longer required to be on one). Dinner is also usually the cafeteria. I sometimes go for some of their meats (but only after getting adequate vitamin E and C from lemons, sunflower seeds, spinach, etc.) and I sometimes poke at a potato. I'd say that I primarily eat a salad + fruits & veggies.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    It is possible that something in your diet is irritating your bladder - however it is also possible that you have an infection of some type or a kidney stone (less likely, but that was one of my major symptoms during a recent kidney stone attack so it is on the front of my mind).

I think you should go be seen by a physician.

Alright, I'll make an appointment tomorrow. Maybe they can also check how my body fat percentage is doing--I haven't had it checked recently since going primal.

Ok, the reason I ask is because frequent urination can be due to too many oxalate foods in the diet. If you are eating a tonne of spinach, then your diet is VERY high in oxalate. Oxalate is a toxic substance to anyone (it's what most kidney stones are partly made of). An unhealthy gut cannot tolerate much oxalate at all (40mg/day). Raw spinach is 75g per half cup of oxalate, and over triple that if it's cooked. The bacteria found in healthy guts which degrades oxalate is oxalobacter formigenes. What I imagine could be happening to you is the bacteria cannot keep up with the amount of oxalate you are eating.

Substitute the spinach for romaine/butter/boston lettuce. Your symptoms might get worse before they get better, which happens when your body gets rid of stored oxalate. By the sounds of it though, the frequent urination your already getting is your body's attempt to ditch the oxalate your eating to prevent it from getting stored in the body.

Just google 'frequent urination oxalates' and you will find a tonne of info.
    FYI- spinach is very high in a lot of anti-nutrients, it is not a health food!

Please let me know if you decide to go through with the experiment and what your outcome is!
    Last edited by NataliaJade; 09-25-2011 at 07:32 PM.

"The farther your researches advance, the greater you will realize the simplicity of all creation."- Dr. Edward Bach

jeffb01 is offline Junior Member
    I think you're in ketosis. Whenever I first go into ketosis, I pee all the time (I think the kidneys are removing the ketones...). I know you don't think you're in ketosis, but my intuition says othewise. If you doubt me, eat a stack of pancakes and see how much if you keep peeing all night - I would rather eat pancakes than see a doctor...

Oh dear I usually also eat romaine, but also get a bunch of raw spinach for the vitamin E to combat the nitrites in the meat.

@jeffb01: So, after a few weeks this should go away, assuming it's ketosis? I'm NOT going to eat a stack of pancakes :P and I should see the doctor anyway to get my body fat checked.
    Last edited by ib4student; 09-25-2011 at 07:45 PM.

If you have a funny taste in your mouth then that could indicate ketosis. But getting up twice each night to pee is a little extreme for ketosis and the fact that is it small amounts each time points to it being a separate issue. The apple/banana/hemp seed smoothie would have been enough to take you out of ketosis.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Apples and bananas are one of the few "edible" foods that the cafeteria has. I don't trust their apples, but I generally eat a banana a day, which would knock out 25g of carbs or so (halfway out of ketosis). On top of any other fruits and vegetables I eat, and occasional potato or rice...

I've probably been eating too much spinach.

Apparently, the Lactobacillus acidophilus in kimchi can help with oxalates (along with lactose, something that my body isn't the best at handling). I think I'm going to make some more kimchi...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast