Thread: Pastured Websites and Tips??? page

Goldstar is offline Senior Member

Pastured Websites and Tips???

Primal Fuel
    I went on a little armchair hunt today, looking up all of the brands of meats online that are sold at our local food co-op where we shop. I was surprised to learn that most of what I buy isn't pastured, only the eggs. Dammit.

I don't have a large freezer and there aren't any pasture fed ranches in my town so it looks like the next best option is to try and purchase as much dry-good type pastured items online as I can.

I'm thinking of buying lean meats at my local store and then supplement with pastured rendered tallow, for instance. Where can I buy pastured suet online to make beef tallow? And since I can't find pastured beef, where can I purchase pastured pemmican online?

Is there a resource like this already here on the boards for people who are trying to supplement their conventional meats in this way? We are on a budget, mind you, so we need reasonably priced items.

Also, any other tips for folks who can't get pastured items near home is greatly appreciated. How do you get around this, is there any hope?
    Last edited by Goldstar; 09-25-2011 at 03:28 PM.

livingprimal is offline Senior Member
    check out eatwild.com, you can search by state on that site

Another site is localharvest.org. I'd further suggest farmer's markets: ask lots of questions, and find a farmer who raises the animals on pasture. Spending some time talking to a farmer is a great way to learn more about your food.

There are plenty of cuts of beef that are less expensive but taste great. Make pot roast or chili from chuck roast, for example.

Most farmers probably don't get a lot of call for suet, but I'm sure you can get it rather inexpensively. I just rendered some tallow last night and got 4 pints of beautiful golden tallow from a recent quarter cow purchase (I specifically asked for the kidney fat).

Goldstar is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the links and especially the tip on the farmer's market, I believe I can get some pastured meats there! Awesome! I am envious of your tallow. Enjoy!

So, are there no online sources for pastured pemmican?

Muppet is offline Senior Member
    us wellness meats has pastured pemmican