Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Type of bones for bone broth? page

m e g a n foxy is offline Senior Member

Type of bones for bone broth?

Shop Now
    I'm looking into making my own broth, but am wondering what bones I should be getting besides the ones from a chicken carcass? Also, is it best for the bones to come from a grass fed animal or would I still be getting the benefits from an organic animal's bones? Thanks in advance =)
    && It's not just about living well, it's about dying well.

JKC
    JKC is offline Senior Member
    I think even conventionally raised cows bones would be fine too. I would suggest getting bones with a fair amount of cartilage on them, because part of the "goodness" of bone broth is the amino profile you get from cooking down the jelly like substances. I personally make home made gelatin sometimes to get it instead of daily bone broth, but both are good.
    Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    I like using beef neck bones. They're cheap, have a good bit of meat that is good to eat (take it off after a few hours then add the bones back in to simmer some more). I also like using oxtails, but they are more expensive.

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    If you have a good butcher, ask for split calf heels (feet) and pigs trotters. They are FULL of gelatin which is very nutritious. Add them to any other bones you happen to be cooking. Roasting bones is good too - before dumping them in your slow cooker with water and lemon juice.

Nion is offline Senior Member
    Lamb/goat bones are good for newbies, they're smaller and break down faster.
    I'm a paleo foodie, come check out my recipes: http://strangekitty.ca/

m e g a n foxy is offline Senior Member
    Thanks everyone, I'll be going to get them today and it's nice to have a starting point! I haven't gotten to trying offal (not that brave yet), and because of this feel something is lacking so I thought I'd try making the broth to fill in some nutritive gaps.
    && It's not just about living well, it's about dying well.

Jovana is offline Member
    Does any one have a recipe for bone broth? How much bone should i add? How much water? Anything else i need to add? How long to i cook it for? I'd really love to make a bone broth but can't find an exact recipe anywhere ( Also when the broth is done, what do you add to it to turn it into a tasty soup?
    Thanks for any tips!

Ferti is offline Senior Member
    put bones in pot add water to cover plus two inches. I add vegetables at the last few hours (celery carrots onions) strain. Make sure you salt to taste. Either drink or make it into a soup.

Doddibot is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jovana View Post
    Does any one have a recipe for bone broth? How much bone should i add? How much water? Anything else i need to add? How long to i cook it for? I'd really love to make a bone broth but can't find an exact recipe anywhere ( Also when the broth is done, what do you add to it to turn it into a tasty soup?
    Thanks for any tips!
    There is no exact recipe, because it's not an exact science. But a general recipe would look like this (btw stock and broth are essentially the same thing, though some people will say broth is made with meat, stock with bones only):

Ingredients
    • Bones (as much as you like, you're only limited by the size of your stockpot or by how much stock you want)
    • Cold water (just enough to cover, usually tends to be about 1-2L/kg bones)
    • Any vegetables, herbs or spices that you might fancy (I'd avoid starchy vegetables, as they will cloud the stock, and cruciferous vegetables, as they will produce a sulphurous taste

Procedure
    1. (Optional) Wash or soak bones in cold water to remove blood, unless you don't mind the taste.
    2a. For a white stock, blanch the bones by placing in cold water, heating until it boils for 2 minutes, then pour off the water and rinse. Return bones to stockpot and add cold water.
    2b. For a brown stock, use leftover bones from a roast or brown raw bones in a hot oven. Return bones to stockpot and add cold water. Deglaze the roasting pan with a little boiling water and add this to the stockpot.
    3. Heat stockpot, uncovered, until it reaches a simmer (a stock that reaches a boil will still taste good, but will look cloudy).
    4. Skim the scum and particles that will form on the surface of the water, especially in the first hour of cooking.
    5. Continue simmering, adding water as necessary to keep the bones submerged, until done. Done time depends on the simmer temperature, bone size (smaller is faster) and type of bones. Usually fish stocks will take half an hour, poultry stocks will take 1-4 hours, most red meats 4-8 hours, beef 6-12 hours. Breaking bones into smaller pieces, and chopping vegetables more finely, will speed the process (as will using a pressure cooker).
    6. Add vegetables, herbs and spices in the last hour of cooking.
    7. When done, allow to cool until no longer steaming. Strain the stock through cheesecloth, leaving as many solids as possible still in the pot.
    8. Defat the stock:
    a. by chilling in the fridge and removing the solid fat from the surface
    b. by freezing the stock, then wrapping with cheesecloth and allow to thaw in the fridge. The stock will drip out of the cloth, the fat will remain.
    c. by allowing to cool to room temperature, then spooning off the fat layer from the surface
    9. (Optional) To further concentrate the stock, add to a clean stockpot and reduce in volume by up to half.
    10. (Optional) To make a double stock, use the above-prepared stock in place of water for the next batch of bones.
    11. To store, freeze (will keep for a month or two) or keep in fridge (for no more than 48 hours). Freeze in small portions, roughly what would be used in a single recipe.
    Last edited by Doddibot; 09-26-2011 at 04:28 AM.
    "Thanks to the combination of meat, calcium-rich leaf foods, and a vigorous life, the early hunter-gatherers were robust, with strong skeletons, jaws, and teeth." - Harold McGee, On Food And Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen

pacificBeef is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by m e g a n foxy View Post
    I'm looking into making my own broth, but am wondering what bones I should be getting besides the ones from a chicken carcass? Also, is it best for the bones to come from a grass fed animal or would I still be getting the benefits from an organic animal's bones? Thanks in advance =)
    I use beef shank and knuckles. Shank have a lot of meat which I usually remove after the first 8 hours of cooking.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast