Thread: Cross Posted from Resources - Gedgaudas and Protein amounts page

Minagelina is offline Member

Cross Posted from Resources - Gedgaudas and Protein amounts

Primal Fuel
    I am about halfway through Primal Body Primal Mind, and so far I love it. The one thing that is confusing or rather a bummer to me is that she said we are only supposed to be eating about 6-7 oz a day of protein, otherwise it gets converted to glucose (?) Has Mark addressed this at all? I will have to do a search if the little crazy people around here will let me, lol!

JPA
    JPA is offline Senior Member
    170 to 190 grams is more than PLENTY for everyone except for the super elite athletes (world class). Excessive protein reduces lifespan (read the Perfect Health Diet - they eat 50g of protein a day)

dado Guest
    That's a lot of protein.

JKC
    JKC is offline Senior Member
    I usually get around 100g a day - more is hard to stomach, and less just doesn't feel right
    Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

Minagelina is offline Member
    So what would that look like then? Is that the "deck of cards" analogy that they make (for four ounces) for meat?

emmie is online now Senior Member
    Keep in mind that if you're limiting carbs (I eat only about 20g a day), and not exceeding your caloric requirements, any protein that converts to glucose is used by the body for its energy needs. It's not necessarily a 'bad' thing.

peril is offline Senior Member
    100g of meat is only 20-25g of protein, depending on the meat. You can eat a lot of meat without overindulging in protein
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

JKC
    JKC is offline Senior Member
    4 oz of meat isn't all protein - chicken breast, for example, is 9g of protein per 1 oz of meat, so 4 oz (deck of cards size) would be only 36g of protein - 3 of those would take you up to what you need for protein. I upped my protein quite a bit from before primal. Depending on how many carbs you eat, you may need more - low carb means more protein is needed in order to provide your body with the blood glucose that you would normally get from carbs - fat can't provide that - only protein, so low carb means you need a decent amount of protein
    Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html