Thread: Nora Gedgaudas' book and protein amounts page

Minagelina is offline Member

Nora Gedgaudas' book and protein amounts

Primal Fuel
    I am about halfway through Primal Body Primal Mind, and so far I love it. The one thing that is confusing or rather a bummer to me is that she said we are only supposed to be eating about 6-7 oz a day of protein, otherwise it gets converted to glucose (?) Has Mark addressed this at all? I will have to do a search if the little crazy people around here will let me, lol!

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    From what I understand, that's ounces of protein, not ounces of protein-rich foods. I don't have the book in front of me right now, but (for example) to get 6 ounces of protein you would need to eat more than 6 ounces of ground beef.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Setabas is offline Senior Member
    I'm actually reading Primal Body Primal Mind now and she does say something about eating 2-3 ounces per meal (so 6-9 ounces per day). I've never gone that low, but I think I'm going to try it. She really mentions it more from the perspective of aging (she gets into that more later in the book) than from a glucose perspective. Very interesting read.

I think I'm going to try it as it sounds like a great way to save some money while staying primal/paleo and she also argues a number of health benefits.

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Minagelina View Post
    I am about halfway through Primal Body Primal Mind, and so far I love it. The one thing that is confusing or rather a bummer to me is that she said we are only supposed to be eating about 6-7 oz a day of protein, otherwise it gets converted to glucose (?) Has Mark addressed this at all? I will have to do a search if the little crazy people around here will let me, lol!
    Health Correlator: How much protein does one need to be in nitrogen balance?
    Health Correlator: Dietary protein does not become body fat if you are on a low carbohydrate diet

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    I find that I'm trending in this direction myself as well, Setabas. My body just doesn't need -- and now I'm feeling doesn't even want -- huge chunks of meat all the time. I made a really nice meat-heavy goulash/oneskillet the other day, and I sat there thinking, "Man, I wish I had used more zucchini and onions" and found myself picking the zucc out of all the meat and eating that. Probably the best thing about going Primal is that is has really put me in touch with my body unlike ever before.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Paleofan is offline Senior Member
    I've been wondering about this myself. I eat bacon and eggs most mornings, meat and a side vege for lunch, and last week I did several nights with just salads with olives or avocado, but no meat and my scale responded nicely.