Thread: Introducing Myself page

HeWhoIsAaron is offline Junior Member

Introducing Myself

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hey guys! I'm Aaron. I've just recently decided to try out a real Paleo diet. I was exposed to the idea over the summer, and on the suggestion of a fighting coach I cut out all breads after breakfast. That alone lost me 7 pounds in 5 weeks. Now I'm back at college, but my good habits have slowly deteriorated. So I figured if I really want to live healthy, I have to go all out and give myself less room for the "oh just this once, I've been doing so well" moments.

I'm a music major at college (trumpet player), living off campus. I have minimal cooking skills but I'd love to learn. I'm trying to slowly adapt a Paleo diet (meaning I'm going to eat what I have and just start buying better food choices). I figured after a few weeks of using up what's left of my "bad" food and doing research on how to find the "best" food, I'll end up on a real Paleo diet. I want to try this for a month or so and see how I feel, but I'm really looking forward to the experience!

I plan on reading through all the newbie threads, but does anyone have any general advice for a Paleo lifestyle in college? By this I mean I have minimal skill or time for cooking.

Thanks,

Aaron

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Since you are off-campus, get someone (not to be sexist, but a cute girl, perhaps? Chicks dig guys that can/want to cook) to start showing you some of the basics of cooking. Get a few basics down and then start practicing. There are some things that are easier if someone shows you, rather than trying to read it out of a cookbook.

When you've found your instructor, bring recipes that you want to try, and ask him/her to help you cook them.

Once you start getting some of the basics down, don't be afraid to experiment a bit. The techniques are mostly the same for whatever food you are cooking, but the details are a little bit different. Cooking a pork loin takes longer than a medium-rare steak. Bone-in chicken takes longer than boneless. Greens take less time than crucifers, or pretty much anything else, really.

My wife has been an instructor for myself and a handful of her friends, male and female.

SoccerGrok is offline Senior Member
    Ditch all the CRAP FOODS in your place, then proceed with the cooking lessons. having it there and within reach will only make it a harder/longer transformation...Good Luck, and Grok On!!!!!

Scotty is offline Senior Member
    If you truly want to discover the benefits, you have to go all in at first. If you go into it part time, you may not feel a difference. Particularly the grains. You need to go 100% grain free for 30 days. If it were me--college student with limited money and time--I would buy a small George Foreman grill and a decent frying pan. Fry eggs for breakfast every morning. Grill the highest quality chicken, beef, fish, and pork I could afford. Saute green vegetables with olive oil and garlic. Bake sweet potatoes. Cook for multiple meals at a time. This will give you a good base to build from. There are a number of other similar threads you should check out. Good luck.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    You do not have start 100%. Some do best that way, some don't. Please do not throw away food that a hungry person could eat. Give it to a food closet.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.