Thread: Lamb kidneys page

quidam is offline Senior Member

Lamb kidneys

I have this great grocer near me that regularly has non-standard meat cuts in the case. Yesterday I spotted lamb kidneys there, and decided to do the brave thing. They are currently in my freezer.

I've never eaten kidney before, so I have zero clue about what might be good. I'm looking for any good ways to prepare them that would be wonderful for a person who rarely eats offal. Likewise, if there is a way of preparing them that I should steer away from, please let me know that too.

Any tips, hints, or recipes are welcome!

localad is offline Senior Member
    You might be better trying lambs liver first; it's more of a consistent texture to kidney meat. Kidneys have various layers of tissues and can be quite chewy. They need longer cooking than liver to get all those layers cooked. Slice 'em in half and fry in butter. They can, if not cooked much, taste of wee.

Get used to the liver first!
    Last edited by localad; 09-25-2011 at 11:26 AM. Reason: added wee
    activate the rhythm, the rhythm that has always been within

rayout is offline Senior Member
    Soak them in water - lots of water in a big bowl overnight or in a small bowl changing the water two or three times after an hour or so. This helps remove the urea.

My grandma always made it into a soup with ginger. Here's a recipe: Kidney Ginger Soup | Delicious Asian Food

oliviascotland is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'd second the soak them in water - you could add a squeeze of lemon juice to that, too - and my favourite way of eating them is to simply fry them in a little bit of butter, very gently, turning after about 2 - 3 minutes, and making sure that they're still pink in the middle. I also tend to deglaze the pan with a little bit of red wine, which is then delicious poured over the kidneys.

They're also nice devilled: Nigel Slater's classic devilled kidneys recipe | Life and style | The Observer