Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Crispy or crunchy texture foods, your suggestions please page

RumbleRo is offline Member

Crispy or crunchy texture foods, your suggestions please

Primal Fuel
    Hey guys, I hope youre all well.

Please recommend me some crispy or crunchy texture foods or snacks.

Im finding eating soft food all day very cumbersome and truth be told, I miss having crunch in my diet. ATM, my main source of crunch is from walnuts, almonds and spring rolls. My diet doesnt include pork (so scratchings or bacon strips are no good), no grains, no bread (or flour based products) and it will remain this way going forward, no comprises here.

What do you recommend that is similar to say, crisps (or chips for americans out there) or toast?

Many thanks in advance for your ideas and time.
    Organic / Wild / Pasture fed - thats Primal.
    Primal is a step to a healthier, stronger, longer life with weight reduction as a side effect.
    Primal is not just a weight reduction tool.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Well, my suggestions aren't similar to crisps/chips, but they're good: Jicama and asian pear. Both are very crunchy, crisp, and refreshing. If you really want some potato chips, fry your own in tallow. They're fine as an occasional treat and the hassle of making them yourself will keep you from eating them too often.

Thanks Yodie. I searched Jicama and goog showed up with a wiki link saying, refered as x to Filipino....wahey, Im Filipino

Should have mentioned, I neither eat root veg lol, so counts out parnsips, potatoes, carrots. Pears and apples I have in my diet, just looking for the dry crunch, so pretty mcuh aside from chips, cornflakes.

My diet mainly consists of leafy veg (most of the time eaten raw or flash fried), fish and poultry.
    Primal is a step to a healthier, stronger, longer life with weight reduction as a side effect.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Hmm. They're really thin, almost paper-like, but kale chips are a crispier way to get your greens.

And since you mentioned cornflakes, this came up in a thread about cereal replacement: toasted coconut flakes are good. Heat them in the frying pan or under the broiler until they're golden brown.

Bissen is offline Senior Member
    Darn; I wondered why pork rinds wasn't the first suggestion, but then I read closer and realised the pork thing... Hmm...

You mentioned spring rolls; does that mean you eat rice? If so, puffed rice would be my suggestion!
    Oh, also sheets of seaweed, those used for sushi rolls (they're called "nori" in Japanese). You can eat them as is, but also rub them lightly in coconut, fat or whatever, then rub them with spices and roast for a few seconds! It's really good and crunchy!

toasted coconut flakes.. that sounds good, ill search for that.

ahhh, spring roll wrappers are the only flour based product i consume but minimal amount compared to other sources. nope, no rice either :P

the sushi sounds good, i looked at marks recipies and saw the no rice sushi which looks pretty damn nice......yeah, think ill have a try this week. thanks for reminding me.

keep them coming folks.

j3nn is offline Senior Member
    If you eat seeds, I recommend making raw seed (flax, chia, sunflower, pumpkin, etc.) and nut crackers in a dehydrator or in the oven at the lowest temp (200F or less) with the door open. Don't heat nuts or seeds at high temps if you can avoid it. You can also make almost any fruit or veggie dry and crispy in a dehydrator or the open-oven door method.

Check out some raw (vegan) sites for recipe ideas. Many of them are gluten- and grain-free recipes that use nuts, seeds, fruits, and veggies to make crunchy or grain-like foods. PM me if you'd like some suggestions.

Also, jerky. Chicken, turkey, salmon, etc. More chewy than crisp, but it's definitely not a soft food.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

ldygeko is offline Member
    Haven't tried this myself, but may friends have tried these and think they are great....

Ingredients-
    Spinach
    Salt
    Coconut oil spray

Directions-
    1. Preheat oven at 350 degrees
    2. Spray a cookie sheet with coconut oil
    3. Place spinach on cookie sheets, the bigger the leaves the better, and sprinkle salt
    4. bake for about 5-10 mins. I would check half way through as 10 was to long. You want them to look "crispy"
    5. eat and enjoy.
    Lady Gecko, a.k.a. Theresa.

Kaylee99 is offline Senior Member
    Burn meat. I have no idea if it's healthy but if I'm really wanting a "crisp" I usually try and make ribs and char the edges. Salty crunchy goodness. Baked chicken works as well (the crispy skin) without the need for charcoal.

Use celery as a spoon for sandwich fillings (tuna salad is my fav but chicken and egg are good too). Its like getting a sandwich and chips.

I've heard of kale chips and sweet potato chips-never tried them but they might be an idea.

Rivvin has a recipe for Parmesan chips that are easy and tasty.

Fresh green beans and snow peas can be crunchy. Will keep thinking, its football season and I need a good chip replacement/crunch for game day.
    See what I'm up to: The Primal Gardener

PrimalCon New York
    Hmmm, some good suggestions coming but on the spinach idea, I dont like heating leafy veg for long, my opinion is that they wont turn out crispy either, just one of things Im pretty sure of, since the leaf is very delicate, especially when under heat (i.e. degrading nutrient value).

Burnt meat, that too imo sounds like nutrient damage, keeping it under heat for so long (unless of course you mean slow cooked but damn, thats like half a day!).

Maybe Im just a fussy eater. I really dont mean to shoot down suggestions, if I sound rude and unthankful, its certainly not my intention. Thank you for your time and help, at least it takes away things not wanting to and hopefully get closer to what will 'fit the bill'.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast