Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Confused about grains. Did primal man eat them or not? page

Boneidle24seven is offline Senior Member

Confused about grains. Did primal man eat them or not?

Shop Now
    Oh man I'm really confused. I have been doing the paleo diet for about 3 weeks now and so far so good. However I need to point out that I'm not doing this to lose weight (160lb, 5' 11") but rather find the healthiest way of life. Now don't get me wrong because so far I have been completely sold on the paleo lifestyle, workouts, diet etc, etc and just like everyone else tend to do a fair bit of research about it on the net. This is where my problems started when I stumbled on this which claims that the paleo diet theory is hogwash. See what you think;

The Spartan Diet: It's official: Grains were part of the original 'Paleo diet'

now I'm really confused. Should we eat grains or not ?!?!?!

HELP!

Valkyria is offline Senior Member
    It doesn't really matter what our ancestors did or didn't do. What matters is what works for YOU.
    I don't eat grains at all because they only cause me problems and cravings. I might have some rice occasionally, but I don't really think it's that good for me. Just makes me feel hungry again sooner.

You will find a lot of conflicting advice and evidence, you just have to learn to trust your own instincts and go with what seems logical to you and what works for you. Life is one big experiment!

That's what I think about the matter anyway.
    "All things are poison, and nothing is without poison; only the dose permits something not to be poisonous."
    Paracelsus

A Primal Twin Pregnancy

Proud mother of twin girls!

kiwigirl42 is offline Member
    I think the reasoning behind not eating grains is not really whether they are or aren't part of the paleo diet but that grains are so bad for you. Here is a link to a page Mark wrote explaining it all.

I'm personally not trying to re enact a paleolithic diet but trying to find the healthiest way to eat for me. I've found the book by Sally Fallon called 'Nourishing Traditions' to be really interesting and useful. Its a lot more than a cookbook - full of useful information. Its based on the theories of Weston Price, a dentist who studied 'primitive' tribes in the '30's. There is a good website at the Weston Price Foundation which explains a lot. They do allow grains BUT they are always soaked overnight to ensure that the anti nutrients are diminished somewhat.

However I don't eat grains - I eat strict primal + homemade yogurt. I'm just building up to trying to go without the yogurt for 30 days to see what happens

hope this helps
    Last edited by kiwigirl42; 09-25-2011 at 04:32 AM.

jackdesimone is offline Junior Member

agree with above

yeah, it doesn't matter what our ancestors, or the gorillas ate.. it matters what works for you...

eating meat works for lions, but it doesn't really work well for gorillas; they do better on ants, and termites; or at least they can't catch 'em..

grablife is offline Member
    Some things to consider are the quality and genome of ancient foods versus modern agribusiness commodities. Wheat, corn, and soybeans, for example, seem to have been genetically modified substantially in the last generation or two. It seems obvious that Paleo man would eat anything that is perceived as nourishing, including all the starch and sugar he could find. But maybe you have to be more careful in the modern world because of all the alterations to the food supply. In the end, it about optimal health, and recognizinng where the modern world is working for you or against you in that regard. It's not about pure imitation of ancient man.

dado Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by grablife View Post
    Some things to consider are the quality and genome of ancient foods versus modern agribusiness commodities. Wheat, corn, and soybeans, for example, seem to have been genetically modified substantially in the last generation or two. It seems obvious that Paleo man would eat anything that is perceived as nourishing, including all the starch and sugar he could find. But maybe you have to be more careful in the modern world because of all the alterations to the food supply. In the end, it about optimal health, and recognizinng where the modern world is working for you or against you in that regard. It's not about pure imitation of ancient man.
    This, this! It's not the same grain, man!

Scotty is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Valkyria View Post
    It doesn't really matter what our ancestors did or didn't do. What matters is what works for YOU.
    I don't eat grains at all because they only cause me problems and cravings. I might have some rice occasionally, but I don't really think it's that good for me. Just makes me feel hungry again sooner.

You will find a lot of conflicting advice and evidence, you just have to learn to trust your own instincts and go with what seems logical to you and what works for you. Life is one big experiment!

That's what I think about the matter anyway.
    This. Eat grain-free for 30 days and then try eating grain again and see what happens. You should also use bloodwork to follow the inflammation markers.

MadelynMc is offline Senior Member
    I think most of what he's saying would be acknowledged by almost anyone following paleo/primal. Nothing groundbreaking there. The key is that grains weren't a dietary staple. Another important thing to remember is that modern grains are mistreated and aren't even close to the same food that they would have been in those times. The evidence that grains cause inflammation and a severe insulin response is pretty solid.

If you're torn, try looking into the Weston A. Price diet. They advocate properly prepared grains and basically the same principles as paleo otherwise (i think). I've tried adding fermented sourdough back into my diet but 1) I'm trying to lose more weight, 2) I'm very intrigued by premise of the book Wheat Belly, but haven't had time to read it and 3) I'm trying to heal inflammation in my body. If you are an otherwise healthy person, properly prepared grains might be okay for you.

Boneidle24seven is offline Senior Member
    It would seem then that 'everything in moderation' is the way to go. I avoid sugar and processed foods anyway. I love bread but it doesn't love me so I try to avoid that too. I'm thinking of re-introducing a small amount of oats back into my diet, not every day though.

I guess I'll try it and see what happens.
    And like I said earlier, I don't actually need to lose weight but I am trying to shift my Wheat belly. I am one of those unfortunates who is slim with a little belly. I think they call it an 'A' frame physique. Because I am losing weight all over I am concerned that pretty soon I am going to start looking skeletal, Not good!

Thanks for your thoughts and comments everyone!

js290 is offline Senior Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast