Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tell me about your home gym! page

zoebird is offline Senior Member

Tell me about your home gym!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Dh and I have crunched some numbers, and the cost of joining the gym vs getting the basics for a home gym breaks even at about 6-7 months.

we currently have the pull up bar, and do a lot of body-weight stuff. my DH loves to lift weights and develop strength (eg, PRs in squatting, dead lifting, etc), and that's just his thing. I also enjoy the process -- though i tend not to be as attached to numbers as he is.

the benefits of the home gym, beyond cost, is that it also makes it easier for us to get to the gym. the gym we would join is on the other side of town, so we'd have to fit it in around work, walk there, work out, and then catch the bus home. doing this takes awy from work/creative time, and creates another activity around which we would have to figure out how to care for DS. likewise, with the way DH cycles his weights, he might work out every 10 days, then every 4, and then 7 days later, and then 5 days after that or what have you. Which means, it wouldn't be a set schedule with DS.

So, having a home gym frees up time.

If you built one for yourself -- what do you have?

rayout is offline Senior Member
    My home gym consists of of a handrail over at the top of a stairway for pullups, a playground 2 blocks from my house and a 10 lb sledghammer

Bamaphotopro is offline Senior Member
    Here's mine ... I've had it for almost 3 years, and I love it!! Well-built piece of machinery, and costs much less than the Chuck Norris endorsed 'Total 'Gym'!!

http://www.bayoufitness.com/bayou-fi...iii-home-gym-6
    Bamaphotopro - Wedding & Portrait Photographer, Tuscaloosa, Alabama

Age 56 - Quad Bypass Survivor, Sept. 16, 2005
    Went Primal - 8/22/2011 - 218 lbs.
    9/13/2011 - 206 lbs. (Wife Noticed!)
    Next Goal - 200 lbs. - Leaner & Stronger

http://www.momentsnoticed.com

Facebook Personal Profile (Friend Me!):
    http://www.facebook.com/Bamaphotopro

Facebook Pro Page (Be a Fan!):
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Moment...C/111048610165

JHen is offline Member
    I wish I had the space for a home gym. The gym my wife and I joined is kind of silly (even from a non-primal view point). It has minimal free weights and space to use them in. No place to do things like power cleans. You're not allowed to grunt excessively or make loud noises. Not allowed to drop weights (but I hate doing that, if you can pick it up, you should set it down IMO. Much better workout that way IMO). But, 10 bucks a month (each) can't be beat and it's pretty close.

Bananabonobo is offline Senior Member
    variable-weight DIY sandbags (10-30 pounds), a door frame I can use to work on pulling up/chinning (I still can't do it but I'M TRYING!), a desk chair for doing rolling-knee-tuck planks, an interval timer, and the internet to stream videos while I sweat. I want to add a dip stand to that - but what I've got works swimmingly.

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    Craigslist for a power rack and a barbell set would be your best bet.

dado Guest
    I have a power rack in my living room that I built myself. And a pull-up bar in my kitchen. This is what I call my "complete home gym" and then people laugh.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Pullup grips that fit over a closed door.
    5 lb ankle weights
    11 lb dumbbellls
    15 lb dumbbells
    A back pack
    My body

Kerry Ann is offline Member
    I have free weights, a ball, some mats and a galon jug I use for a kettle bell.. and some bands, when all else fails bands are great.. oh and my jump rope which I should use more....

I have a gym around the block from me that I use to belong to, but now with a little one and 50hr work weeks its impossible to get to the gym.

If money is the issue and you have health insurance check out if they cover the gym. I know my health insurance will reimburse me my gym fees if I go to they gym atleast 3 times a week and have it stamped and have my reciept for paying..

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    i have a power tower that i use for pull ups and dips, and a 50 lb sandbag. the rest of my gym is me, meaning my own body weight.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast