Thread: digestive power page

girlhk is offline Senior Member

digestive power

Shop Now
    Everything I read about the primal diet is at odds with the vegetarian diet that yogic lifestyle promotes. I do practice yoga and was vegetarian for 7+ years, stopping due to infertility issues, which I think is probably related to not enough nutrition on a veg diet.

According to yoga and ayurveda, eating meat gives more work and stress to the digestive system, and thus energy is diverted to that instead of higher purposes (like meditation). They recommend a lot of fruit and legumes due to ease of digestibility. I've been thinking about this lately and would like to hear others' comments...

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Most of those Indian vegetarian diets were developed before modern sanitary food processing was. Flour and other processed grain foods in India used to contain significant amounts of insects, which upped the protein content. Consequently, vegetarians who then moved to Britain often became anemic or protein-deficient, as the sanitation standards for food were higher.

I wish I had a reference for this, but I can't find it. It might have been in "Eat Fat, Lose Fat" but I don't really remember.

dado Guest
    "According to yoga and ayurveda, eating meat gives more work and stress to the digestive system, and thus energy is diverted to that instead of higher purposes (like meditation). "

haha, my brain must be so weak then. but it is not! strong brain.

kbn1 is offline Senior Member
    Legumes are easily digested? Ha.

js290 is offline Senior Member

Legbiter is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like BS to me. Yeah, if you've been a vegitarian for years and then go back to eating meat you might feel a bit heavy at the outset but if you ease into it, it shouldn't be an issue. Maybe try some chicken salad and shrimps instead of diving into a buttery porterhouse steak. Hmmm....steak.

I'll be in the kitchen.

JKC
    JKC is offline Senior Member
    there is a post on some blog about this exact issue - sorry, I don't know which - Ned Kock, perhaps? and the gist was that veggie matter is the stuff that rots in your gut (think beans and all the extra gas you get from beans and grains - which essentially is a sign of rotting in your gut) and meat is easily digestible, and is mostly not in your gut (already absorbed) by the time it hits your large intestine.

the vegetarians have it backwards
    Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JKC View Post
    there is a post on some blog about this exact issue - sorry, I don't know which - Ned Kock, perhaps?
    It was J. Stanton at gnolls.org. Does Meat Rot In Your Colon? No. What Does? Beans, Grains, and Vegetables! - GNOLLS.ORG

girlhk is offline Senior Member
    I definitely do notice way more gas and bloating when eating rice, starch, and legumes. I actually used to think that was normal.