Thread: Not enough calories page

adamm is offline Senior Member

Not enough calories

Shop Now
    I've never really cared to to count calories, etc. I prefer eating when hungry, not eating when not hungry. Makes sense, right? But on a whim, yesterday, after reading Mark's post about the smokin' 52 year old lady, I went to "fitday.com" to plug in my data. Apparently I'm eating 1900 calories a day. Sometimes 2000, and sometimes 1800. Apparently I'm burning alot more than that. Huh? How come I'm not a wraith?

I mean, today, I had a low carb protein shake for breakfast (sugar free) - I'm diabetic so I watch sugars/carbs like a hawk.

Lunch was 4 hot-dogs, carrots, broccoli, tomatoes.

Dinner was two thin chicken breasts covered in home made tomatoe sauce (I love me San Marzano tomatoes), blanched string beans with olive oil, garlic, roasted almond slices and bits of turkey bacon.

Maybe, if I get hungry, I might have a couple of eggs before bed, if not, I'll have another low carb protein shake (ie low carb weigh protein powder + water + a wee tiny bit of heavy cream).

Total calories == 2k

Yesterday I had a lovely marinated flank steak (I use wheat free soy sauce, lemon juice, garlic, crushed anise for the marinade), brussel sprouts, steamed broccoli (wiht lunch), miso soup, carrots, eggs, and turkey bacon over the course of the day. 1800 calories.

Eh? Really? 1800 calories? How can this be? I eat alot...

--Me

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I am confused. Are you trying to gain weight?

If you want more calories you could easily stand to add more fat to your day. Most of your protein sources are pretty low fat (depending on the type of hot dogs you are eating). Add in a little butter, bacon fat, etc. and the calories will go up quickly.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Yep. Depending on your activity level and what you're trying to accomplish, you might need to actually add in more calories, especially fat. I know it has been a problem for me before when I was working out in the heat and drinking literally a couple of gallons of water. No hunger, and my food intake was too low.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

adamm is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, I'm not really trying to lose or gain wait. I wouldn't mind losing some fat % on my body, but that is going to happen anyway over time. It is more that I'm simply worried that I'm not eating enough, and that this is slowing down my development. I mean, eating less than 2000 calories a day is substantially less then what a body burns, right? But I'm not losing weight for 4 months. I'm just trying to understand how it works.

--Me

emmie is offline Senior Member
    Ignore all those calculators that tell you how many calories you need. We are all unique. If you're satisfied with your food (i.e., not hungry) and NOT losing weight, then you are eating to maintenance. If your calories were too low, you'd be losing weight.

primalmexicana is offline Junior Member
    I agree with emmie. I sometimes only eat twice a day because really thats all I'm hungry for. I finally stopped using calorie counters because then I will listen to my body rather than the numbers. I'm a girl so usually its required to count cals but I find eating primal makes me happier so I will just go with it.

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by emmie View Post
    Ignore all those calculators that tell you how many calories you need. We are all unique. If you're satisfied with your food (i.e., not hungry) and NOT losing weight, then you are eating to maintenance. If your calories were too low, you'd be losing weight.
    Agree! If you feel great, are meeting your own personal goals, etc. I really wouldn't worry about it. If you start finding that what you're currently doing isn't working for you anymore, you might want to adjust things at that point in time.

We are all so different. Some folks need to watch this stuff more than others. And it seems caloric intake needs vary widely on more factors than just height/weight/gender...
    My Before/After Pics
    Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

Sean_OToole is offline Member
    I think there is a lot of misinformation about how many calories the body needs. (I have no studies or proof of this, as I said it's just what I think from my own observations.) I'm a young, healthy 6'0" 150 lb male; I'm quite active by most standards, and I really don't think my body "needs" more than 2,000 calories a day. In fact, if I want to lose fat, I find it only really works when I keep my daily calories at 1,800ish or less. When I plug my numbers into calculators, I'm told I "need" somewhere between 2,600 and 3,000 calories a day. Bogus. I suspect that a lot of the "2,000 calories for women, 2,500 for men, and more if you're active" stuff is just b.s. spewed by agricultural interests to get us to eat more.

PapaGrok is offline Member
    I agree, forget about how many calories you should or shouldn't eat. Not all calories are created equal, and not every metabolism processes them equally either. I use www.paleotrack.com to log my foods, but I don't have a caloric goal that I'm trying to aim for, I just use it to gage how "paleo" I'm eating, and whether I'm getting all the micro-nutrients that I need.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean_OToole View Post
    I think there is a lot of misinformation about how many calories the body needs. (I have no studies or proof of this, as I said it's just what I think from my own observations.) I'm a young, healthy 6'0" 150 lb male; I'm quite active by most standards, and I really don't think my body "needs" more than 2,000 calories a day. In fact, if I want to lose fat, I find it only really works when I keep my daily calories at 1,800ish or less. When I plug my numbers into calculators, I'm told I "need" somewhere between 2,600 and 3,000 calories a day. Bogus. I suspect that a lot of the "2,000 calories for women, 2,500 for men, and more if you're active" stuff is just b.s. spewed by agricultural interests to get us to eat more.
    I woudn't say it's bogus, just incredibly ridiculous to point to any individual and say "They need X calories" with anything even close to accuracy.

Despite the fact that I'm 6 inches shorter and probably 20 years younger than you, I probably DO eat around 2,500-3,000 calories every day, and that's pretty much maintenance for me. Logically I should need fewer calories than someone your height and age. But I'm active and I have ADHD and a genetic predisposition toward being fairly lean, so I just need more.

To adamm: There are so many factors as to why you would get leaner or fatter or whatever that have nothing to do with your calorie intake on any given day - things you wouldn't even think of. I wouldn't worry about it. As long as you feel healthy, have energy and you're not hungry or stuffing yourself, it's all good.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com