Thread: Triathalon Fuel page

sunflower is offline Junior Member

Triathalon Fuel

Shop Now
    I will be attempting my first triathalon next weekend. It is kind of a "let's just see if I can do this" type thing for me. I am not super competitive or trying to will my class or anything. I just want to finish without collapsing ;-) It is a 6-mile kayak, 5.5-mile run and 18-mile bike in that order. I have no problem doing all those things separately but have not tried together so this should be interesting. Anyway, my point of this post is I know I will probably need some sort of fuel halfway through to keep my energy up. I know they sell all sorts of energy gels and goos out there but I am not interested in all the artificial crap. Plus, after being primal for a while now, I just gag at the idea of chugging a big load of sugar for fuel during the race. Anyone have any experience with primal refueling during a triathalon or marathon? Could I just like eat a banana before the bike portion? Would that help me? I'm really clueless on this so anyone with experience and wisdom please chime in :-)

Jennifer

sunflower is offline Junior Member
    Oh, I was also wondering... Do I really need to eat some carbs the night before (as all the CW sources keep telling me)? My carb intake is pretty consistently low as I am still in the process of losing some extra weight. But my energy level is great. However "everyone" says you must carb load before a big race or your muscles will get depleted of energy too quickly. What is your take on that and how would that apply to someone who is eating primal?

js290 is offline Senior Member

rockrunner Guest
    That's too short a race to even care about fueling other than drinking some water on the bike ride...your training leading up the race matters a lot more though!

If you want to take some fuel on no problem anywhere during the race just make sure it doesn't mess with your stomach and time it so it doesn't interfere with the transitions plus try it out ahead of time on some practice workouts.

On the carb loading... if you want to do that it should be for a few days a head of the race not just the night before...like 3 nights in a row before the race...basically you want your muscles as fully recovered as possible before the race...thats what the carbo loading is trying to do.
    Last edited by rockrunner; 09-24-2011 at 06:06 PM.