Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Serves me right for buying cheap chicken page

MudLily is offline Senior Member

Serves me right for buying cheap chicken

Primal Fuel
    The day before I decided to get back into primal eating, I bought a whole chicken from Wal Mart. It was 97 cents per pound, and I love roasted whole chicken. I decided I had better cook and eat it even though it is not organic, which I did today. Plain roasting, no herbs, spices, or salt. Imagine my surprise when I ate some and tasted quite a bit of salt. It does not taste like normal table salt either, but maybe brine with other chemicals. It is reminiscent of commercial soups. So now I have a whole chicken worth of meat (one meal a day all week!) that I am now loath to eat due to the weird taste. I never encountered this in a commercial chicken before, but this is for a local brand. Does anyone have any ideas or info about what they might have put in the chicken?

I just dug the label out of the trash, and it said up to 15% solution of water, salt, sugar, and "flavorings." Whatever the flavorings are, I found them to be nasty and too strong. I suppose I will freeze this meat and portion it out gradually into dishes such as waldorf salad that have many more things in them than just chicken. It's too bad the cat doesn't like cooked chicken.

The next chicken will definitely be organic.

At least I spent money today at the local "health food" store, and so have some grass pastured eggs, beef, and elk (!), and feral hog (!!).

jammies is offline Senior Member
    It is pretty shocking when one realizes how much effort it takes to consume real, un-altered food in the US....especially when you first start paying attention and reading labels. If people are getting chemicals and sugar when they purchase a whole raw chicken it almost seems like there is no hope.

Your other food sounds fantastic though - for you and for the creatures you are eating! I really want elk - but moved away from my hunting family and it costs of fortune out here.

ElaineC is offline Senior Member
    The local grocery store always stocks "seasoned" pork. Every cut of pork is "seasoned". I asked if they get in anything not adulterated, and the answer was no, it all comes that way. I sighed, and said I guess I just don't buy meat here any more. Oddly enough, now they stock some local stuff that hasn't been soaked in salt water, more people must have complained! Not that I buy much supermarket meat any more, I found my own local sources and support the farmers directly.
    Fighting fibromyalgia and chronic myofascial pain since 2002.

Big Fat Fiasco

Our bodies crave real food. We remain hungry as long as we refuse to eat real food, no matter how much junk we stuff into our stomachs. ~J. Stanton

Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    I have not liked store bought turkey for years. I would stock up on the cheap turkey sales at thanksgiving and then brine or heavily season the turkey in an attempt to make it palatable. Family and guests always said the turkey was good, so I just figured it was me. I am now known for always sending the turkey home w/ someone after a dinner so I don't have to deal with it.

This year I raised my own turekys (6 of them) and just killed them last weekend. The meat is great! No funky taste. I don't even season them much if at all (I've ccoked 3 1/2 of them this week to vacuum seal the broken down birds as they take up a huge amount of freezer space). It was expensive to feed these huge birds and lots of work to take care of them w/ clean water, clean food, and locking them up from roaming each night to keep them safe. I spent more for each chick than an on sale turkey ($8.50). I can only imagine what crap and chemicals they feed cheap store meat (arsenic for one to make them gain weight faster). I now only buy grass fed meat from CSAs and the like. Or raise my own

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member
    Mud Flinger, a couple of years ago I drove to Colorado to have Thanksgiving with my sister and brother-in-law. She paid a pretty good penny for a local organic heirloom-breed turkey. It was a hen turkey, only 8 pounds. I haven't tasted turkey that good EVER. I always like the dark meat because it isn't as dry and it has more fat. But this white meat was juicy and just as nice as the dark meat.

I also noticed that all the ham and pork at some stores is plumped up with a salt or potassium chloride solution, and I also stopped buying it.

I remember that sirloin steak and rib roasts were a lot better when I was a kid (1950's) than any of them are today. They were no doubt grassfed until the last couple of days, and they were local.

Shrimp, also, isn't what it was. Well, I can get Oregon Coast shrimp (little, in tubs, frozen) and it's pretty good. But I remember the shrimp (from the Gulf coast) when I was in college. It cost a lot, so I could seldom afford it, but it was so good and one felt really fed. Now shrimp is grown in ponds in Asia, crowded together and fed garbage, till they are practically no different than if they were grown in a sewage plant. They're dirt cheap, but they taste like --- the crap they were fed.

More and more, one needs to get food directly from the farmer, or the fisherman, or grow one's own. Everything else has been messed up.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    The best chickens I've found in the grocery stores are the ones from the Amish farmers- usually not labelled organic, but likely held to a higher standard than that anyways. Amish chicken is also usually reasonably priced.

dado Guest
    Yea, that sucks, but you gotta eat the chicken!

paleo_hailey is offline Senior Member
    Are you sure it wasn't a kosher chicken? They are usually brined in salt and have quite a strong taste... it's not for me, but my husband loves them.

Tneah is offline Senior Member
    For some reason a good amount of the meat at Walmart is injected with a brine solution. The same thing happened to me except only with beef. I went back and looked at the meat department and yep it says it right on the package.

earthspirit is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    My guess is the eat is injected with the brine solution probably to make it heavier, seems like your buying cheaper but your buying an extra pound of salty, sugary water =(

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast