Thread: Young athlete, don't want to do damage page

evertastica is offline Member

Young athlete, don't want to do damage

I'm a college athlete and after starting the primal lifestyle I'm wondering a few things.
    I don't want to do damage long term but typically my practices for the crew rowing team include:

2 to 3 miles of running 4-5 days a week. Probably running at a 8 or 9min mile pace the whole time
    About 45min of on/off rowing (combination of sprints and distance...usually not more than 5 min worth of anything right now).

We also do push ups, crunches, squats, lunges, etc 3-4 days per week but I'm not concerned about those.
    Should I invest in a heart rate monitor to try and limit the intensity so that I don't fall into the chronic cardio category too often? (any suggestions on specific lowcost/decent quality options?)

I make sure I have at least 1 full day off per week, if not two.
    I have been eating primal since mid-July. My activity level has at least doubled in the past month and I haven't had any problems with a low carb/gluten free diet. I swam and played sports through my childhood so this shouldn't be a shock to my body.

edit: sorry I realize this should probably be in a different part of the forum
    Last edited by evertastica; 09-24-2011 at 05:07 PM.

Stevenhamley is offline Senior Member
    Using a heart rate monitor to lower the intensity of your training may decrease your performance, which defeats the purpose of being a college athlete. Chronic cardio is a subjective thing based on stress and recovery which varies person to person. To increase recovery and reduce stress it's best to get plenty of sleep, reduce other forms of stress, don't be low carb and eat plenty of food.

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    Running for rowing training? What is the point of that?
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

rockrunner Guest
    At that pace it could be chronic cardio or it good be good easy pacing.... there is no way to know unless you figure out your heart rate zones. Even with with a heart rate monitor you still have to know you max heart rate to determine your zones....

or

You could use the Mafftone method which is to use 180 minus your age as a ballpark method on the heart rate +/- 5 beats to give you something to go by.

Get a heartrate monitor if your concerned about it...if your a young guy I'm not sure I would worry about it. Try breathing through just your nose only during your run...if this is too hard than yup your probably going too fast...generally breathing through your nose only during your run will keep you at an easy pace that's not chronic cardio....at least for a while.

And running is good for you as long as its at a easy pace...there is much health benefit to it.

Quote Originally Posted by evertastica View Post
    I'm a college athlete and after starting the primal lifestyle I'm wondering a few things.
    I don't want to do damage long term but typically my practices for the crew rowing team include:

2 to 3 miles of running 4-5 days a week. Probably running at a 8 or 9min mile pace the whole time
    About 45min of on/off rowing (combination of sprints and distance...usually not more than 5 min worth of anything right now).

We also do push ups, crunches, squats, lunges, etc 3-4 days per week but I'm not concerned about those.
    Should I invest in a heart rate monitor to try and limit the intensity so that I don't fall into the chronic cardio category too often? (any suggestions on specific lowcost/decent quality options?)

I make sure I have at least 1 full day off per week, if not two.
    I have been eating primal since mid-July. My activity level has at least doubled in the past month and I haven't had any problems with a low carb/gluten free diet. I swam and played sports through my childhood so this shouldn't be a shock to my body.

edit: sorry I realize this should probably be in a different part of the forum

js290 is offline Senior Member

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    You probably just need higher carbs than your avg office worker... add in a potatoe here and there.

Dharma_Punk is offline Senior Member
    I suggest reading The Paleo Diet For Athletes by Dr. Loren Cordain
    “To insure good health: eat lightly, breathe deeply, live moderately, cultivate cheerfulness, and maintain an interest in life.” - William Londen

ingtoncreti is offline Junior Member
    You're making me hungry

Nion is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Good View Post
    Running for rowing training? What is the point of that?
    Stamina/endurance?
    I'm a paleo foodie, come check out my recipes: http://strangekitty.ca/

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Nion View Post
    Stamina/endurance?
    BODY BY SCIENCE (VIDEO 3): “CARDIO” »