Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: *Cold Weather Survival help and other Questions for/from a Southern Grok!!* page

TheCasualWarrior Guest

Primal Fuel

Alright, fellow PBers: Does anyone else feel like going into Hibernation come winter?

I know some people feel more energized when it's cold - but, does anyone else just want to curl up into a little ball, stay warm and take it easy?

Is there anything wrong with that? I wonder what Grok would have done?

Also, are there any other Primal comfort foods you all turn to when it drops into the 30's and 40s? Is there a Primal way to make Gravy?

A FINAL QUESTION for all of you brilliant PBers: If one were following a Primal diet (low-carb/high fat) and slipped off the wagon for saaaaaayy, The Holiday season. . .should they worry about putting on weight if they start consuming a relatively high-fat Primal diet again (But not on it 100%)?

BTW - Does anybody else have any issues affording purely grass-fed meat all the time?

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

I totally want to hibernate in the winter. I'm happy to be holed up all season if I could. I do get a bit of cabin fever though and long for spring and warm weather. It's setting in already and I'm getting restless.

When I need comfort, I just opt for hot foods. Soup always does the trick. That and hot cocoa.

As for holiday carbing and weight gain... I stayed relatively Primal and still saw the scale creep up about 8 pounds. Water weight mostly I'm sure. I'm back down 4 pounds in less than a week, however, and that was going 100% Primal.

And affording the grass-fed beef. One word. "Cowpool." I went in with several others and bought beef last autumn. Should last me a few more months until it's time to buy again. You get a discount for buying bulk, typically.

Acmebike is offline Member

Minus 10 here right now, it isn't so much the cold, but the shorter daylight. I just get more sleep! Less TV. It makes sense to sleep a little more when there is less light!

slesca is offline Senior Member
    Rural midwest; just outside a mid-sized city

I WISH it were 30 degrees! LOL, it's all about context, I suppose. But to be serious, I sleep more in the winter, too, as the sunrise really affects my wake-up time. I also really began enjoying winter more when I bought proper winter attire and took care to be well dressed outside in the cold. You just can't lounge around on the back porch in the winter, though, so I do think more hibernating is required. I usually fatten up a bit in the winter as well.

Comfort food: meaty chili! The spicier the better!

stryker902 is offline Junior Member

Gravy , tis is using turkey, but beef works just as well.

2 cups turkey juices from turkey roasting pan or homemade turkey or chicken stock

1/2 cup heavy cream

3 tablespoons unsalted butter

10 ounces shiitake mushrooms, rinsed, stemmed and sliced

1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves

1 clove garlic, minced

1/4 cup dry sherry

Salt and freshly ground black pepper

1/2 teaspoon red wine vinegar

TheCasualWarrior Guest

LOL! I knew I could turn to the Professionals. We are pretty wussy down here in Florida when it comes to the cold. We can take the heat, but anything below 50 degrees, man, we're done!

Cowpooling would seem like a great idea, but the only people I know of who would be interested in going in would be my vegetarian friends. Ha! Even my Grokette is a little freaked out about the idea of buying a cow and then all of a sudden, having Ol' Bessie for dinner. Ah, well.

Hot comfort foods are a great idea!

Any tips for continually moving around a lot at a slow pace without coming across as a whacko?

TheCasualWarrior Guest

Yay, Stryker! Awesome.. Gotta give that a try. Sounds great! Thanks.

stryker902 is offline Junior Member

Floridian myself, In the land of Mickey Mouse here,

will be looking to do some cowpooling eventually.

TheCasualWarrior Guest

Sweet! Wished we lived closer, though. I'm over in St. Augustine, or else I'd go in with you. Stay warm over there!

Katt is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Another Floridian in the land of Mickey Mouse. Been making hot soup, stew and chili! Stryker, maybe we can hook up for a cow sometime in the near future.

Start weight: 250 - 06/2009
    Current weight: 199
    Goal: 145

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast