Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about back pain, walking gait, & Vibrams page

brandibangs is offline Member

Question Question about back pain, walking gait, & Vibrams

Shop Now
    I have a question for some of you. I had back surgery in april of 2010 on my L4 & L5. Both discs were herniated and pinching off the nerves to my right leg. I was immediately pain free after surgery. However my insurance company denied my physical therapy after my surgery. One of the reasons I put on so much weight.... anyway, fast forward.
    My dad and I both stand like a duck and walk like a duck with our feet pointed out. I don't know why but we do and it's obviously genetic. I just got my Vibram Fivefingers a few weeks ago and have just been doing intervals in them since I have a toe that is healing. I started to have some slight tenderness and soreness in my hip and pelvis area. I wasn't too concerned because it wasn't painful and I figured it was from just me being more active. But the last couple days my back area where I had my surgery is really sore and stiff. It hurts to bend over and I really feel it when I get up from a laying down position. What I discovered yesterday is that when I'm walking in my Vibrams, I'm actually walking straight, instead of with my feet out. Crazy, huh? I'm just not sure what to do about my back? I don't want to get too inflamed and in pain but I also need to build the muscle back up and I can only do that with activity.
    Any ideas or input on this would be so helpful and appreciated. Thanks!

Scotty is offline Senior Member
    Not sure what you mean by intervals but I would do nothing but walk in the VFFs for a while - months - before anything else. Your gait will change. Given your prior hx I am hesitant to make any recommendations re the LBP. I control by LB pain and stiffness with proper form squats and DLs, foam roller, and the indigenous peoples/grok/asian squat as often as I can. You also might want to check out mobilitywod.com

Galeldor is offline Junior Member
    My L5 S1 disc is almost gone as a result of an auto accident and then two marathons. In April of 2011 I had a decision to make. I either keep running and suffer tremendous pain or give it up and live my life well. I became Primal in the last two weeks of April and have not run since about March. I was blown away at the almost immediate relief of pain and inflammation. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO RUN!!!!!!!! Eat primally and do body weight exercises. Your body is the best doctor you will ever have. Pain is like a best friend that is trying to tell you something that nobody else has the courage to. Listen to your pain, I did and I have been pain free since. I work out three days a week and do supermans, pushups, pullups, dips, and chinups. Just recently I added planks and have never felt better. No surprise to anyone here my body had changed to a much more muscular physique and much leaner than I was as a runner. The Vibrams are cool and fun, stay with those. As I say to my non-primal friends I will say to you...It works for me and the results have been wonderful, for me. I wish you the very best!

Thank you Scotty! I'm fairly new to the forums. What is "DLs"? I've read briefly on the Grok Squat and I will check those out and that sight. When I got my Vibrams they suggested doing 1 to 2 hour intervals for the first few weeks. Also I have a toe that is healing from having to have two sides of the nail removed (diabetic). thank you for the input. Winter is also approaching and we will have close to 4 months of snow which I hate. I wish they had Vibrams that were snow proof.

Quote Originally Posted by Galeldor View Post
    My L5 S1 disc is almost gone as a result of an auto accident and then two marathons. In April of 2011 I had a decision to make. I either keep running and suffer tremendous pain or give it up and live my life well. I became Primal in the last two weeks of April and have not run since about March. I was blown away at the almost immediate relief of pain and inflammation. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO RUN!!!!!!!! Eat primally and do body weight exercises. Your body is the best doctor you will ever have. Pain is like a best friend that is trying to tell you something that nobody else has the courage to. Listen to your pain, I did and I have been pain free since. I work out three days a week and do supermans, pushups, pullups, dips, and chinups. Just recently I added planks and have never felt better. No surprise to anyone here my body had changed to a much more muscular physique and much leaner than I was as a runner. The Vibrams are cool and fun, stay with those. As I say to my non-primal friends I will say to you...It works for me and the results have been wonderful, for me. I wish you the very best!
    Thank you Galeldor. I agree. With Primal I'm down 31lbs in just 3 months and have been able to control my blood sugars and keep them in normal ranges. So from what your saying and "listen to your pain", do you suggest that I lower my activity level for awhile until some of the pain and stiffness is relieved?

Quote Originally Posted by brandibangs View Post
    Thank you Scotty! I'm fairly new to the forums. What is "DLs"? I've read briefly on the Grok Squat and I will check those out and that sight. When I got my Vibrams they suggested doing 1 to 2 hour intervals for the first few weeks. Also I have a toe that is healing from having to have two sides of the nail removed (diabetic). thank you for the input. Winter is also approaching and we will have close to 4 months of snow which I hate. I wish they had Vibrams that were snow proof.
    Sorry, DLs are deadlifts, one of the standard barbell compound movements. Barbell squats and DLs, done properly, are excellent for core conditioning and strengthening, including lower back which is I think by far the most vulnerable part of the core. I know women tend to stay away from barbells, but if I were a woman I would be doing barbell work. Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength was recommended to me by a family member personal trainer for technique and beginner programming and it has gotten me off to a good start.

Thanks Scotty. I looked up the Grok squat and watched the video. I'm still a little on the heavy side to completely maintain my balance so I used my couch for balance. Almost instant relief from the pain and stiffness. It's still there but I bet if I could incorporate this a few times a day it might get better.
    In college I took a women's weightlifiting class. I did like using barbells then.

Quote Originally Posted by brandibangs View Post
    Thanks Scotty. I looked up the Grok squat and watched the video. I'm still a little on the heavy side to completely maintain my balance so I used my couch for balance. Almost instant relief from the pain and stiffness. It's still there but I bet if I could incorporate this a few times a day it might get better.
    In college I took a women's weightlifiting class. I did like using barbells then.
    Yeah the grok squat is difficult at first but you improve quickly. It is great for stretching out the back, and pretty much the whole body.

js290 is offline Senior Member

thank you!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast