Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beer vs. Soda Pop: Which Is the Lesser of Two Evils? page

econ is offline Member

Beer vs. Soda Pop: Which Is the Lesser of Two Evils?

Primal Fuel
    At the moment, I'm not willing to give up drinking. And when I drink, I pretty much only like one of three things:
    1. Beer (not light beer, but rather the rich and heavy stuff)
    2. Whiskey and Coke
    3. Rum and Coke

I'm curious to hear your opinions on which is worse for me (from a primal perspective): a pint of good beer, or the coke in a mixed drink (which I suspect is 3 - 6 fluid ounces worth).

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    The straight sugar and other chemicals in the pop are probably worse for you than the grains in beer.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    Wow, good question. I would agree w/ Grumpy Caveman unless you are very sensitive to the grains beer is made from. Can you switch to wine on some occasions or 100% agave tequila? I know some guys think drinking wine at bars is not a masculine thing to do but tequilla w/ just lime juice and seltzer can come in the same glass as rum & coke or other mixed drinks.

indigogirl is offline Senior Member
    IMVHO the coke is worse.

Here are coke's ingredients from Wikipedia. This doesn't even list what is in "natural flavorings".

Coca-Cola 375 mL cans - 24 pack (AU)IngredientsCarbonated water
    Sugar (sucrose or high-fructose corn syrup depending on country of origin)
    Caffeine
    Phosphoric acid
    Caramel color (E150d)
    Natural flavorings[33]
    A can of Coke (12 fl ounces/355 ml) has 39 grams of carbohydrates (all from sugar, approximately 10 teaspoons),[34] 50 mg of sodium, 0 grams fat, 0 grams potassium, and 140 calories.[
    Indigogirl

PapaGrok is offline Member
    I'm very sensitive to gluten, so unless the beer is light and very filtered (or a gluten-free variety), then I would go for the coke and highly distilled alcohol!

IvyBlue is offline Senior Member
    Upgrade the quality of your rum/whiskey and bag the coke. It's an acquired taste to drink it neat or on the rocks but worth it. Check this out BALVENIE 14YR CARIBBEAN RUM CASK SINGLE MALT SCOTCH WHISKY - Shoppers Vineyard scotch aged in a rum barrel. Shmoove.
    Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    You can also mix rum with soda and some lime or lemon juice, or try out NorCal margaritas, or drink the good stuff neat. If gluten really doesn't bother you, then a good-quality beer now and then is probably not a horrible cheat. However, as a celiac, I've substituted hard cider (a dry one with no extra sugar added) for beer for quite a while very happily, so you could also consider that as another option.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

kimwg is offline Member
    Maybe this is the time to discover hard apple cider? That, or get some 12 year aged Flor de Caña and just drink it straight.

SlimIcy is offline Senior Member
    Tequila and soda water with a lemon. Delish.

gunnk is offline Senior Member
    If you don't want to move to something else, I'd go with the beer. I think you still get some negative impact from the grains, but HFCS is just evil.

I'm quite sensitive to wheat, but I find that some beers are OK for me (mmm.... Smithwicks...). Even then, though, I make it a VERY rare treat (I had a beer and a half after completing the Warrior Dash and before that was an Irish pub in Charleston in June).

Make sure if you are doing whiskey and Coke that you use CHEAP whiskey. Putting good whiskey in Coke is a mortal sin.
    Life is short: Void the warranty.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast