Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vegetarian thinking about going primal page

veggieboy1 is offline Junior Member

Question Vegetarian thinking about going primal

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hey everyone,
    I am brand new here and just bought Mark's book to figure out what this whole primal stuff is all about. I've ventured through various posts to figure out what people have done that were vegetarians.
    First of all, kudos to all (long time) vegetarians for giving it up. I myself have been a vegetarian for 18 years. I'm not sure what the reason for other people might have been to become a vegetarian, but for me it was because of some sort of an allergic reaction to all meat, fish, seafood etc. I have tried to eat meat every now and then, but every time I try, I get sick to my stomach. Sometimes it's just a funny feeling, but sometimes it's the hugging-the-toilet-bowl-kinda-sick.
    I was wondering if there are any folks out there that were vegetarians due to some medical conditions (not because of religious believes, diet plans, lifestyle, etc) and that can share some of their experiences and how they were able to jump back on the meat wagon.

Thanks!

BCingyou is offline Member
    Welcome and good luck!

I think like many people, I was a vegetarian for health reasons, I thought I was being much healthier than the standard American diet. Eventually I realized I wasn't very healthy at all (weak, overweight, often sick) and that's what led me to look for alternatives.

However I was a vegetarian for a long time and thought my stomach wouldn't be accustomed to meat. It wasn't really a problem. I started easy with things like salmon and shrimp and worked my way up to red meat.

I wonder if you have a more specific allergy, say shellfish? Have you ever been medically tested for that? I don't think a general allergy to meat is very common at all.

There's also the issue of meat quality itself of course, where have you been getting the meat and how is it cooked? E.g. if you're going to have a burger try making it yourself from ground beef instead of getting one out that's fried in nasty stuff.

You could try starting with stews or chili where the meat is in the "background" a bit, mixed in with lots of vegetables and sauce.

Interested to hear what others say, good luck.

Thanks for the feedback. No, I have not been tested for it. I did talk to my PCP and he told me that it could possibly be due to a lack of enzymes. Maybe now would be a good time to get this tested out and figure out why I am getting sick every time I try to eat meat. So far I've been only trying bits and bites, usually sandwiches with ham and so on. I haven't been brave enough to go ahead and sink my teeth into something juicy like a steak or a burger.... I am still concerned how I would feel afterwards.

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    Copy/pasting this from another thread on a similar topic. This topic has been discussed quite a bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by FairyRae View Post
    Wanted to share links to some old threads on the topic. I've not read through all of them so not sure if they are full of awesome info or not, but may be helpful to the OP.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread12528.html
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread28870.html
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread23469.html
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread7556.html
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread3702.html
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread10032.html

Here is my advice/take on this issue from an older post. (Just wanted to add it in case its helpful!)
    You will get used to it, probably fast. Meat (unlike all those soy fake meat things) is DELICIOUS, and the adjustment, for me, was pretty easy. Once I really believed that I was *meant* to eat meat, that eating meat was the healthiest thing for me, it was really really easy. (I was totally vegetarian for 12 years, vegan for about 6 months of that time.) I started w/ poultry, then added in steak, then fish, then ground beef, sausage, porkchops, etc.--the rest is history! I didn't feel any weird physical changes, but I also did take it slow, adding in one new kind of meat every week or so...There is definitely a transition time (at least there was for me) from going from a high carb, low fat diet to a higher fat, lower carb diet though.

Cooking meat is where the learning really comes in (even for folks who were already meat eaters--so few people actually cook at home!) I became veg. when I was 16, had never helped my mom in the kitchen (we ate lots of processed fast food--not tons of cooking), so had literally never handled raw meat b/4 I was 27-28. It *is* a weird experience. But you get used to it. In the beginning, I found that almost any meat tastes yummy if you season w/ a little salt and pepper (other spices optional) and pan sear, then bake in the oven. That was the easiest way to make chicken, steak, burgers, etc. for me at first. After a while I started learning the myriad of ways to prepare meat, and I'm still learning (and loving every minute and bite of it!) Now that it's warmer out (at least where I am) grilling is a delicious and easy option too that can work w/ most meats. That's probably where I would start.

Cutting gluten, soy, corn and dairy along w/ all processed foods, and now grains, has made me feel AMAZING. Adding meat back into my diet was possibly the number one thing (along w/ dropping the processed foods) I've done that has vitally impacted my health for the better. What is fascinating to me, is that NOW, while eating meat, I feel sooooo much more connected to my food, where it comes from, etc., than I ever felt as a vegetarian eating my soydogs and veggie burgers. When I'm getting a whole chicken ready to roast (really easy too, I just rub w/ olive oil, salt and pepper, add some other spices if I want and stuff w/ some cut up onion, maybe other veggies and roast in the oven--mmmm!), and I'm holding it in my hands, I just feel this huge sense of gratitude towards it, and this feeling like I'm doing what women have always done. After I cook it and we eat it as a family, and I get the bones ready to make broth with (bone broth is GREAT for digestive issues and very easy to make), I just feel like I'm connected to my anscestors, the Earth, and animals in a much a deeper sense than I ever was when I was veg. It could just be my experience, or the way in which I was veg (huge monsanto supporter, ate lots of organic processed foods, vs. eating lots of local, whole foods now). But I just feel so much better about what I'm eating, how I'm eating, and more than anything, how I feel now that I eat lots of sustainably raised local meats...

Good luck to you during the transition--from one 'post vegetarian' (Sandor Katz' term) to another! You will NOT regret this!!!!
    HTH! Again, good luck doing what works best *for you*!
    My Before/After Pics
    Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

Owly is offline Senior Member
    A friend of mine has similar issues, and she found that taking enzymes helped her quite a bit with digesting meat. I think the ones she takes are papaya based? You might give that a go as you transition.

Also, my brother has a lot of trouble digesting conventional meats, not because of the meat itself but because of a reaction to some of the antibiotics that are used on the animals and remain in the meat--he finds poultry is particularly problematic because they use so many drugs in the birds' feed. You might try and see whether hormone- and antibiotic-free meats are any better for you.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Quote Originally Posted by FairyRae View Post
    Copy/pasting this from another thread on a similar topic. This topic has been discussed quite a bit.
    Thanks for posting this. Before I posted my thread, I did read through a lot of other postings. However, I was unable to find one that was particular to my issue. Most other vegetarians chose to become one because of dietary reasons and/or lifestyle. I had to become one, because I was getting sick from eating meat. I was hoping that I could find other members in this forum that had similar issue and were able to overcome them.

Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    A friend of mine has similar issues, and she found that taking enzymes helped her quite a bit with digesting meat. I think the ones she takes are papaya based? You might give that a go as you transition.

Also, my brother has a lot of trouble digesting conventional meats, not because of the meat itself but because of a reaction to some of the antibiotics that are used on the animals and remain in the meat--he finds poultry is particularly problematic because they use so many drugs in the birds' feed. You might try and see whether hormone- and antibiotic-free meats are any better for you.
    Thank you, that is very good feedback. I will look into it.

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Robb Wolf talks about Now Foods Super Enzymes all the time in reference to problems with digestion. He seems to think they're awesome and has used them with a lot of clients. Probably worth a try.

You're not taking proton pump inhibitors or anything are you?
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

NataliaJade is offline Junior Member
    I have allergies to poultry, pork and eggs so I kind of know how you feel. I would have become vego if I wasn't allergic to soy, unable to digest nuts and legumes plus I have fructose malabsorption...! For me I believe it is oxalate related..if you have heard of oxalates. Anyway, I suddenly became allergic to those meats after a month of eating extremely high oxalate foods. Do you think anything triggered your meat allergy? Try to think back...something may have caused it and you might be able to reverse it. Is the vegetarian diet not working for you? Do you have any other issues/allergies besides meat?
    Taking HCL with meals might help if you have low stomach acid.
    And getting all meats that are organic and free-range to rule out a soy/corn or antibiotic contaminations.
    Try lots of different meats, you might find there is one or two types that you don't react to. For most people this tends to be chicken, however this is not the case for me so don't give up if chicken doesn't work! Funnily enough I am fine with the most allergenic meat-shellfish!
    GAPS diet for 2 years/Low Oxalate for 6 months. iherb code- GEC562

"The farther your researches advance, the greater you will realize the simplicity of all creation."- Dr. Edward Bach

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by veggieboy1 View Post
    Thanks for posting this. Before I posted my thread, I did read through a lot of other postings. However, I was unable to find one that was particular to my issue. Most other vegetarians chose to become one because of dietary reasons and/or lifestyle. I had to become one, because I was getting sick from eating meat. I was hoping that I could find other members in this forum that had similar issue and were able to overcome them.
    Sorry, I obviously didn't read through your entire post! I hope you can figure something out that works for you!!!
    My Before/After Pics
    Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast