Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My cat is killing me page

dragonjax is offline Senior Member

My cat is killing me

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I have an 18-year-old cat. For the past year, she's been getting steadily noisier, especially overnight. She wakes me up to feed her/give her attention starting as early as 3am. I'm up for the day, after broken sleep, before 6 am. I can't keep her out of the bedroom, because when I do she parks herself outside of my son's bedroom and wails, waking him up. She won't eat if other people feed her, unless I am not in the house, and even then she has to be very hungry. If I keep her in the basement, I still magically hear her meow. It's like some evil feline power she has. I love my cat, but I swear to Grok, she's slowly killing me.

I'm fairly certain that Grok would introduce her to his club and then eat some feline pate, but that's not an option (no matter how many times I swear I'll turn her into mittens). Sigh. I am very tired and grouchy. And I know I'm not getting solid sleep.

I guess I'm just looking to vent, because I don't think there is anything else I can do. (It is such a good thing I love this damn cat so much.)

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    Have you taken her to the vet recently? That's pretty old for a cat. She could be going deaf or something else that makes her anxious. Perhaps there's some natural cat anti-anxiety treatment?

Yep. The vet says she is a little senile, and her sense of smell is kaput (which is why I have to feed her canned food throughout the day; after a few hours, she won't touch it). The vet says that for her age, she is very healthy. For which I am grateful, if grouchy!!!

Awww, poor kitty. Yeah at that age they get a bit nutty. Like they turn back into kittens or something. Have you tried supplementing with fish oil? I have no idea if it will work, but it's supposed to be good for humans with Alzheimer's.

Fortunately he's not interrupting my sleep, but I have a young dog who's terrorizing me. He just bit me on the thigh and gave me a little doggy hickey. Ow!

Ow! Dog hickey!!!

I'll talk to the vet about feline Alzheimer's - but I think this is just The Age, alas.

Indeed, cats can get a feline version of Alzheimer's. And supplementing can help: Dementia in Cats: It's More Common Than You May Think A diet change at this age would probably cause too much stress, but mixing some fish oil in with her food should work.

NicoleP is offline Senior Member
    I also agree with the fish oil. I get it at the vets office for my old guy.

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    OK, I do not advise this for the elderly cat (besides senility, she also may be losing her hearing -- they often yowl loudly when going deaf) .... BUT this stirring for breakfast at 3 a.m. feline nonsense is common. Mine started in at 6, and then it was 5, then 4. By 3 a.m., I put my foot down and said I'm the boss and this boss is sleeping the whole night through.

I put a spray bottle filled with water next to my bed, and when Huggie Bear (the 3 a.m. ring leader) started prancing about my head and mewling and, in general, acting like he hadn't seen food in a week, I reached over and sprayed him. They learn fast. Only took maybe three mornings of that. The others learned by watching; not a peep outta them now, either. A water gun under the pillow also works.

I also put a snack down for them just before bed to tide them over until .... until whenever Mama decides to get her ass up.

Jackie: Maybe a late snack might help to keep her settled longer? And a bit of Rescue Remedy on her ears and paws before bed?
    Last edited by TigerLily; 09-24-2011 at 05:17 PM.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Quote Originally Posted by TigerLily View Post
    I put a spray bottle filled with water next to my bed, and when Huggie Bear (the 3 a.m. ring leader) started prancing about my head and mewling and, in general, acting like he hadn't seen food in a week, I reached over and sprayed him. They learn fast. Only took maybe three mornings of that. The others learned by watching; not a peep outta them now, either. A water gun under the pillow also works.
    I've GOT to try this. THANK YOU.

And thank you to everyone who suggested fish oil; let's see what happens.

My girl is sprawled on the floor now. Can't tell if it's a I'M IN A FUR COAT AND THE FLOOR IS COOL thing or an I'M OLD AND DON'T GIVE A DAMN thing. Sigh. It's tough when they get old.

NicoleP is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerLily View Post
    OK, I do not advise this for the elderly cat (besides senility, she also may be losing her hearing -- they often yowl loudly when going deaf) .... BUT this stirring for breakfast at 3 a.m. feline nonsense is common. Mine started in at 6, and then it was 5, then 4. By 3 a.m., I put my foot down and said I'm the boss and this boss is sleeping the whole night through.

I also put a snack down for them just before bed to tide them over until .... until whenever Mama decides to get her ass up.

Jackie: Maybe a late snack might help to keep her settled longer? And a bit of Rescue Remedy on her ears and paws before bed?
    Mine does the same thing! He sleeps all freaking day and acts like he's old then at 12 am he turns into what we like to call the "midnight badass". He wakes my husband up at 3 am almost every single night wanting food. Cat goes batshit crazy after 12 am!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast