Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where do I start? page

sasuga is offline Member

Exclamation Where do I start?

Shop Now
    Hi, I was wondering where I should start with the primal diet.
    I mainly want to lose weight, a lot of weight. I'm 20, 5'8", female, and have been morbidly obese as long as i can remember. My doctor even told me i could expect a heart attack by age 25 if I don't lose weight.
    Right now I weigh about 310lbs. I found this diet when I was thinking about eating like my ancestors, thinking that they were healthy and fit, why aren't I and countless other's? (nifty, I know). So I'm very interested in giving this new lifestyle a try.

But where do I start? How should I start? Should I just drop those starches cold turkey, or gradually take them away?

Grizz is offline Banned
    1) Stop eating all wheat products, oatmeal & cereals. You will lose a LOT of weight from this alone. Read the book, Wheat Belly:
    Expect to have withdrawal symptoms for the 1st week or 2.
    Low Carb Age Wheat Belly Book Review Low Carb Age
    Wheat Belly | Lose the Wheat, Lose the Weight

2) Stop drinking Soda Pop, juices or anything else containing High Fructose Corn Syrup or sugars. Water, coffee, tea OK.

3) Stop eating ANYTHING that contains Trans Fats or Hydrogenated Oils.

4) Eat as much as you want from the following foods:
    * Meat, chicken, fish
    * veggies
    * fruits
    * nuts
    * Use only natural oils & greases

5) Boost your immune system with 10,000 IU Daily of Vitamin D3 - More below.
    Epidemic of Vitamin D deficiency sweeping the world

As you can see nearly all packaged foods are eliminated by these rules. The weight will roll off and you will regain your good health.

Grizz

js290 is offline Senior Member

sasuga is offline Member
    Are dairy foods bad? Or is it okay?

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sasuga View Post
    Are dairy foods bad? Or is it okay?
    How to Lower Your Blood Sugar

Grizz is offline Banned
    sasuga,

Greek Yogurt is great. So is buttermilk. Do a search of DAIRY on Marks Blog for the complete list of "Good" Dairy.
    Mark's Daily Apple

Grizz

NataliaJade is offline Junior Member
    Hi sasuga,

I am your age. It's great you had the brains to think of Primal, not many people do!
    Don't forget that some fats are good for you- eat butter, fatty cuts of meat & coconut oil. If you skimp of fats you will just be hungry all the time and want to eat carbs.
    You are the same height as me, and for me to maintain my weight I need about 1700 calories a day. I have a small frame though..so you might need more or less. For now I wouldn't worry about numbers. Just focus on eating until your full then stop. Here is a good website for Primal weight loss too- Healing Naturally by Bee - Home Page & go to the Lose Weight tab on the left.

You are in the right place!

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    here it is, nice and clear, easy ....How to Eat According to the Primal Blueprint | Mark's Daily Apple

for more info than you will know what to do with, but will help with all your newbie questions...Primal Blueprint 101 | Mark's Daily Apple

and because that page can be a tad overwhelming this gentleman was nice enough to write a more concise description...A Beginner’s Guide to the Primal Lifestyle, Part One | Three New Leaves

Welcome! and good luck
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day

lisabigness is offline Junior Member

Cool Congrats on deciding to follow the PB way of eating and lifestyle!

You asked if you should give up starches cold turkey. I started not too far from you - 250#'s @ 5'4. When I started, I did it cold turkey. I gave up anything with sugar - Breads, pasta, rice, no junk food, candy, or anything out of a box. I really think that to make that work, you really have to make sure you have enough PB food in your house to feed your self all the time! The first few days I felt weird, maybe even alittle sick and irritable, but it only took me about 3-4 days tops for my body to stop running off sugar, and it was much easier to not think about carbs after that. Extremely helpful, even if your not a breakfast eater, eat a hearty breakfast! After 5 years or so, that is the single most important thing that will help to keep you from thinking about carbs all day. I currently eat 3 eggs scrambled with 3 links of real sausage or left over meat from last nights dinner, and I tolerate cheese, so I use some of that too. I usually split this between breakfast and lunch, but when I was heavier, this was breakfast. When you start your day on such a simple carb free filling breakfast, not only are you satisfied with what you ate, but you took the first step in not craving carbs at noon (or way sooner). Also, this takes me less than ten minutes to fry up. So anyway, been doing it this way for years, and I am 90 pounds lighter. My goal is to lose another 25 pounds by the end of the year,

Sempronia is offline Member
    I agree on taking a step wise approach. It seems too much when you do it all at once. For someone who is morbidly obese taking steps you will see results.

Example
    First few weeks eliminate wheat and cereal. Start walking 20 minutes 3 times a week.

Then start counting carbs to reach the weight loss window 50-100, and add heavy lifting etc..

Then after a time when it feels easier fine tune all the other factors mentioned as part of the primal blueprint.

Keys are purge your pantry so as not tempted. Keep cash off you so you don't buy junk. Be prepared every day with plenty of primal food you enjoy yourself. Don't stress over it

For the first time in my life I don't spend my entire day either thinking about food or feeling guilty about what I recently ate. I have battled with obesity since childhood.

Good Luck

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast