Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Uh-oh! VFF's+Running=Bone Spurs for me, your results may vary! page

MoBob is offline Member

Angry Uh-oh! VFF's+Running=Bone Spurs for me, your results may vary!

Primal Fuel
    So for the past couple of months, I've noticed some first thing in the morning heel pain which feels like knife needles that has really slowed down my VFF walking/running activities. It also has affected my weekly racquetball games too with court shoes. Usually during the games or runs, I feel OK but later that night or especially the next morning, my heels are crazy hurtin'. PAIN. PAIN. PAIN!

I finally went to my annual physical and my doc says I have either plantar facitiis or a bone spur. The next days X-ray reveals a 2mm bone spur on my left heel! NOT good!

I've had these VFF's for over 1 year and love them but my feet don't love me anymore!

Has anyone else experienced any long term negative effects of going near barefoot????

Calf stretching, ibuprofen, and normal cushioned trail shoes are my short term relief. Anyone have any other suggestions to heal up w/o surgery???

Thx,
    MoBob
    During breakfast today, Abby asks, "How would this juicy, fat, sweet blackberry taste on top of my bacon?" I said it would taste BerrySwine...;-P

JT_London is offline Member
    I use R.I.C.E (Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation) and rolling my barefoot on a tennis ball occasionally. I've also started focusing more on my calves when weight training too.
    Starting weight: 104.5 kg / 230 lbs (29th July 2011)
    100.5kg / 221 lbs (5th August 2011)
    Currently: 99.2kg / 218.6 lbs (23rd September 2011)

Twitter: @jon404

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    See if you can find someone to check out the mechanics of your barefoot stride- you might be doing something while walking or running to cause damage.

Perhaps you've had the start of that spur for a long time and adjusted your gait to accommodate it in regular shoes, but can't anymore in barefoot shoes.

MoBob is offline Member
    I'm a low arch foot and heel striker when I run. Exactly where the bone spur is!

Bummed out that I'll have to use cushioned shoes for now. I guess I used to run on my forward foot and balls of my feet when I initially got these VFF's since my calves were always burning.

Good point my spur could have existed before VFF's but just got worse to the point of bothering me.
    During breakfast today, Abby asks, "How would this juicy, fat, sweet blackberry taste on top of my bacon?" I said it would taste BerrySwine...;-P

Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member
    Your form is likely the issue. Check out this article I wrote on barefoot running form for some tips.
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

kitoi is offline Senior Member
    Stretch! Stretch your calves (gastroc and soleus) and plantar fascia. If the calves are tight it make the fascia tug on the bone spur. Hold the stretches for 60-90secs for each group twice a day and you can feel relief within 1-2weeks.

Look at your form. Shorten your stride when you walk to lessen the heel strike force, keep the knees bent.

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    sleep with a stiff boot, it will keep your fascia from shortening when you sleep and allow them to heel lengthened. There is a healing process that is going on while you sleep, but you naturally sleep with your foot almost pointed, then when you step out of bed you tear them. If you sleep with your foot in a 90 degree angle, they heal and when you step down they are already lengthened. Worked great for me.

Also calf strengthening/stretching exercises.

good luck
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day

TLoRu is offline Senior Member
    Bumping an old thread..... Anyone else have issues with barefoot shoes and bone spurs? I'm looking for relief!! on high intensity days I'm wearing a more cushioned sneaker, and alternating with my new balance minimums on less stressful days.... Any recommendations or insight?

Bosnic is offline Senior Member
    Heel striking with VFFs? Now there's your problem! The whole point of barefoot running is to improve your running form. Heel striking while barefoot is worse than heel striking with a typical running shoe.

Your calf is a natural shock absorber! Land on your fore/mid foot, and let your heel just kiss the ground if it feels natural. Your bones and joints don't make good shock absorbers, and they don't like being treated as such. Stop heel striking!

Bosnic is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by TLoRu View Post
    Bumping an old thread..... Anyone else have issues with barefoot shoes and bone spurs? I'm looking for relief!! on high intensity days I'm wearing a more cushioned sneaker, and alternating with my new balance minimums on less stressful days.... Any recommendations or insight?
    What is your running form like? Have you learned the proper running technique?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast