Thread: Nursing and IF page

FairyRae2 Guest

Primal Fuel

So I'm very interested in IF (this is my third new topic a/b it in the past 3 days!). I nurse my almost 3 yo a lot. What do you all think a/b nursing and IF? Do you limit IF at all while nursing? I've been having fun skipping meals and IFing for 16 hrs or less, but do any of you do 24 hours while nursing?

I also worry about dumping anything bad into my milk (which I'm sure happened when I lost over 50 lbs after dropping gluten, dairy, soy, corn and processed foods over a year ago) so that is a concern as well, although I'm not really sure exactly how it all works w/ fasting... (I have read that toxins can be released/moved during a fast, and breastmilk is a detox 'pathway' where those toxins can be dumped, which freaks me out a little bit...)

Anyway, I'd love to hear all of your thoughts and experiences on nursing and fasting. TIA!!!

Shami Guest

bump

Shami Guest

Hi. I'm nursing a two yr. old and just went primal a week ago. I have about sixty lbs. to lose. I don't have any info to give you...sorry. I also want to begin IF, so I bumped you hoping to get some replies.

I was wondering, are you sure that breast milk is a detox pathway? Lots of women lose weight nursing and I never thought it would release toxins into the milk. Yikes. I'm sure Mrs. Grok never gained weight like many of us do during our pregnancies. So it probably didn't apply to Mrs. Grok.

FairyRae2 Guest

I've read lots about detox pathways on the MDC allergy forums. I'm no expert, and don't know anything for sure. But here is a thread in that forum about detoxing while breastfeeding, in case it's helpful. http://www.mothering.com/discussions...+breastfeeding If you search detox pathways in the archives there, you'll surely find tons of info...

I'm certain Mrs. Grok also wasn't exposed to anything close to the amount of toxins we are through pollution, pesticides, antibiotics and other medications, metals from amalgam fillings and aluminum pots, deoderants, etc., hormones in foods, etc. etc. etc. etc. So it probably wasn't an issue back then. There is lots we can do to protect our milk though while nursing and losing weight etc. (See the thread I linked above for some ideas.) But I just don't know anything about fasting in particular. (Maybe I'll ask there.)

This is interesting, but I'm not sure at all about the source. From http://detoxification.ws/detoxificat...t_feeding.htm:

[quote]Fasting increases toxins in the mothers milk. To what amount we do not know. There is no research on toxin release into mother's milk during a fast. What we do know is that traces of antibiotics, steroids and other milk production enhancing drugs are found in cow's milk. Whatever is in the blood ends up in the milk in trace amount. A good reason not to feed babies cow's milk instead of breast milk.

The filtering organs do a wonderful job and most of the toxins end are passed from the body but a certain amount will enter the milk. It that enough to harm a baby? During water fasting, the body is dumping toxins at the quickest rate possible.</blockquote>

Hoping to learn more about this soon!

FairyRae2 Guest

A couple of threads on nursing and fasting. Opinions definitely vary.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/showthread.php?t=990261&highlight=fasting+nursing

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...+breastfeeding

FairyRae2 Guest

I started a thread on this at MDC as well if you want to check it for replies (that is my go-to place for all things mama/baby/health related!

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...7#post14894807

FairyRae2 Guest

I&#39;m now thinking I&#39;ll just wait on the 24 hour fasts till he&#39;s weaned. We&#39;ve had enough issues w/ food sensitivities etc. so I don&#39;t mind being more cautious. I&#39;ll continue to post any info I can find on this though!!!

soror is offline Senior Member

PrimalCon New York

Well, I haven&#39;t went super hard core myself, well other than the 24 hr fast due to the stomach flu- but that certainly wasn&#39;t purposeful. I don&#39;t know I keep it pretty simple. More and more I read evidence about how good fasting is, so I try it out, feels good to me, baby is great, keep going. I don&#39;t force any rules or such though. I wouldn&#39;t force it if I was starving or my supply dropped or whatever. I think there are many things we don&#39;t quite understand about our bodies and may never know and so many factors can influence things. However, I think listening to my body and being in tune w/ it and I cannot go wrong. I keep feeling better than ever. Even little things that I didn&#39;t attribute to being bad or wrong. Who knows maybe it will change and I will feel the need to do something different at that point I will.

Mama to 4, wife to my love