Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rock climbing is awesome. page

Rock climbing is awesome.

Primal Fuel
    On a whim, I stopped by the rock wall at my gym for "ladies night", free climbs for the ladiez. I was nervous strapping into the harnass. I feel fit, but had never thought of myself as strong.

On my first try, I made it to the top and slapped the top of the rock.The staff member that belayed me said I was fast and sure, a real natural. It was something so different than what I usually am drawn to, so meditative and slow, a little scary. I loved it, and am going to make it a regular thing.

Any tips for a beginner? I do my push-ups, but would love any advice I can get. I do know I had a problem with the closer holds. I'm tall, and grabbing close made me feel too far from the wall. I'd appreciate any tips to speed my progress.

EROCK is offline Junior Member
    rocking climbing is awesome, I also went for the first time just recently.

I left my session feeling like I needed to do alot of grip and upper body work. My legs were pretty solid support, although those shoes I had to wear were on the crazy side of uncomfortable. I think the simplest exercise that would yield the best results for climbing performance would be chin/pull ups. I've been trying to do more of them, even though they are still very difficult for me.

But I'm still looking forward to going back and giving the harder walls another try!

darthgall is offline Junior Member
    Grip strength. The pull ups I'd been doing sure paid off, too, so I'd recommend those, or some progression thereof. I'm working toward a muscle up!

Quote Originally Posted by darthgall View Post
    Grip strength. The pull ups I'd been doing sure paid off, too, so I'd recommend those, or some progression thereof. I'm working toward a muscle up!
    What's a muscle up? It sounds.....intimidating.

EROCK is offline Junior Member
    A muscle up should really be called a waist up, honestly. Instead of getting just your chin above the bar the goal is to do that then get your whole torso over the bar as well. Intimidating is a very good word for it.

Grafter is offline Senior Member
    Timely topic, since I'm going to be hitting the rock wall for the first time in 8 years later this afternoon. My advice for newbies:

1. Use your legs, try to focus on pushing with them as opposed to pulling with your upper body. Since, my grip and arms give out a lot faster than my legs, the same as most others. Most guys default to pulling, so I've had to consciously work around it.
    2. Stay close to the wall. Again, this helps with not stressing out your grip as much, since the closer to the wall you are, the more tension/force can be taken by your legs.

diploid is offline Member
    You do realise your life has just changed forever? You existence will become one of nuts and hexes, stitch plates and the stickiness of rubber coatings on rock shoes. You will become fitter and stronger than you ever thought possible. Endless discussions of grades and lines and whether trad or sport is best.

And you will meet some of the coolest most laid back and yet unbelievably focussed people on the planet. Ignore the poseurs, they will disappear soon enough.

tips: take the time to develop your strength, get the smallest pair of rock boots you can wear for three hours and find a good belay partner.
    Our own life is the instrument with which we experiment with the truth.

Clymb is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by diploid View Post
    You do realise your life has just changed forever? You existence will become one of nuts and hexes, stitch plates and the stickiness of rubber coatings on rock shoes. You will become fitter and stronger than you ever thought possible. Endless discussions of grades and lines and whether trad or sport is best.

And you will meet some of the coolest most laid back and yet unbelievably focussed people on the planet. Ignore the poseurs, they will disappear soon enough.

tips: take the time to develop your strength, get the smallest pair of rock boots you can wear for three hours and find a good belay partner.
    Haha so insanely true! I was hooked the first time I climbed.

For noobs, to get stronger I would recommend...climbing. Really, you can do pushups and pullups and all that too, but climbing is training in itself. Especially with the technical aspect--there really is no sport as technical as climbing. Stick to ropes for now and build up some endurance and technique, and once you're a bit stronger maybe try bouldering (the good stuff!) to build some gnarly strength. I know some people get injured more easily if they jump right into bouldering though!

But yes, if you are really a climber, then your life definitely has changed forever. I know mine has! You will soon speak a totally different language and have a new obsession--both of which will just confuse and exhaust everyone else haha.

zoebird is online now Senior Member
    i'm definitely into the bouldering. i don't get to do it often, but it's fun. there's some nice rocks down by the beach that are fun to use.

Clymb is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    i'm definitely into the bouldering. i don't get to do it often, but it's fun. there's some nice rocks down by the beach that are fun to use.
    Use Mountain Project, you can look up any established climbing in your area that way. New Zealand seems like it would have a ton of rock...at least that's what I thought while watching Lord of the Rings the other day

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast