Page 286 of 387 FirstFirst ... 186236276284285286287288296336386 ... LastLast
Results 2,851 to 2,860 of 3868

Thread: the purple prose of petunia pettigrew page 286

badgergirl is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I buy face putty about once every three-to-five years, but when I buy I buy big, take professional advice and each time I go up a paygrade. The lassie on the Bobbie Brown counter is still counting her blessings from my last shopping spree.
    My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60211.html Into RPG table top games? Check out FateStorm and (in development) Vanguard!

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by drssgchic View Post
    My liner was Cover Girl from the grocery store because I'm all sorts of classy like that. Now I need to get over my aversion to shopping at WalMart so I can have matching mascara . . .
    in order to shop at walmart you have to be able to ignore the abject poverty of the employees, the look of soul death in their gaze, the way the managers like to under staff the store... i'm a terrible person, don't be like me

i'm exagerrating tho, except on the under staffing. mainly the employees just look bored to death

you could still order online tho. drugstore.com, amazon

Quote Originally Posted by badgergirl View Post
    I buy face putty about once every three-to-five years, but when I buy I buy big, take professional advice and each time I go up a paygrade. The lassie on the Bobbie Brown counter is still counting her blessings from my last shopping spree.
    i think even if i somehow won a boatful of money i'd still have trouble buying bobbi brown without thinking 'i don't have enough money for that..'

damn that woman for making pretty things and putting a big price tag on them
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

so apparently there will be a Hunger Games makeup line from covergirl. after i read that post i read that lipstick is killing us all, cause heavy metals.

i'm allergic to covergirl eyeshadow so my wallet isn't in danger but now, since there are NO pics, i'm curious about what it will look like

i used to tell bay i'm not very feminine at all and he'd say 'you're such a girl. you're the girliest girl.' and here i am talking makeup, proving him right

i've had 2 whole hours of sleep, and surprisingly i don't feel too much like a zombie and the day hasn't dragged on

mahm bought me a fish dinner, so that's been my lunch. breakfast was yogurt.

i tell myself i should go outside and do outside things, but i just want to curl up in a dark room

beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    My issue with pricey products is that sometimes they create such a huge expectation that it just needs to be SPEC-freaking-TACULAR for me to like it at all.

This happened to me with the Bobby Brown concealer that people tend to rave about. NO. Seriously. Hate it. Cakey line emphasizing mess. And I tried six ways to sunday to work with it... I have noticed in retrospect that most of the people who rave about it are far from 40 though. LOL

It happened with the UD 25/7 waterproof colored eyeliners. They were great, but then they got dried out and crumbly really fast. Now I use NYX, just as good in quality, color, staying power IMO, and no more drying out issues.

Also with the Tarte Lipsurgence Lip Tints (you know... chubby lip pencils) I just cannot justify it. The drugstore chubbys do just as well so they are so not worth it to me, just find the one you like as there is some variance... heck, I snagged a Jordana chubby lip balm stain pencil today in "honey" which is and obvious color knock off of the Revlon but with a feel more like the Neutrogena. I tried it already and so far I like it, and I was like 2.99, fuck yeah!
    I have no idea about staining... I only ever use colors that are pretty close to my own lip color, nothing bright, so... I'll never be able to really answer those questions with any "stain" I suppose.

Other things like palettes can totally be worth it, but I'm super picky if it's expensive. I feel like it needs to be arranged as such that it can be used as a stand alone item, and as such it needs at least three coordinating neutral matte shadows. This is where MOST palettes totally fail. If it's cheaper I don't mind so much, I just consider the fact that there is the need for an additional neutral palette to accompany it.
    Right now I think that the Lorac Pro palette is probably the best designed available. A couple of others fit the bill with the min of 3 graduated neutral matte coordinates.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    You know, just bein' an old hippie and all, you don't need any of it.

Brush your teeth with strawberries - makes them whiter and your lips look more pronounced.
    Blueberry juice on your lips will stain nicely. And will look more purple than blue.
    Cornstarch absorbs oil on the skin for a nice matte finish.
    Vaseline makes eyelashes look longer.
    A piece of charcoal - rub with your finger, then smudge your eyes.

I'm 99% kidding of course. I always figured that for the really expensive stuff, you're paying a lot for packaging. Plus I'm a cheapskate. (Who might just splurge for the gold mascara and lipstick.)
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

We're men, Gus; the world is our toilet.

drssgchic is offline Senior Member
    Well, it is gold. That makes it worth it

I have some very nice Arbonne makeup that I don't use, but I've started picking up the super cheap stuff at the grocery store so I can just play with crazy colors. I did pink eyeshadow the other day. I would never spend Arbonne kinda money on pink.
    http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    Also with the Tarte Lipsurgence Lip Tints (you know... chubby lip pencils) I just cannot justify it. The drugstore chubbys do just as well so they are so not worth it to me, just find the one you like as there is some variance... heck, I snagged a Jordana chubby lip balm stain pencil today in "honey" which is and obvious color knock off of the Revlon but with a feel more like the Neutrogena. I tried it already and so far I like it, and I was like 2.99, fuck yeah!
    I have no idea about staining... I only ever use colors that are pretty close to my own lip color, nothing bright, so... I'll never be able to really answer those questions with any "stain" I suppose.
    i have this mental thing. i mean i have a lot of mental things, but i'm specifying the cosmetics one right now. but i have this somewhat annoying mental thing where i can look at a higher end lip thing vs a drugstore lip thing, and they could have the exact same ingredients and be the same exact color, but the drugstore thing is like only a dollar. a normal person would be all over that but i side eye it and wonder '....what's wrong with it? ...is it poison?'

i will never ever be able to make myself buy an elf lipstick and i had to force myself to buy a wet n wild lipstick just so i could make me stop being neurotic. i wore it once now i eye it warily when i reach for face stuff

that said, i'm not a tarte lip product fan. the glosses are sticky and the lip gloss pencil chubby stick thingy didn't feel that great on my face so i just gave them all to a sister. the gift set came with a million glosses. that sibling is set for life

i tried a neutrogena chubby pencil and i liked how it felt but the perfume was so strong i could taste it. my usual mouth stuff is maybelline glosses, i want to like the color whispers but they gum up on my lips, and l'oreal color balm stick stuff.. what's it called, google.. yeah the color riche balms

so basically my preference would be bad stuff ingredient-free, but i have no desire to spend alllllll my money on lip stuff. which is why i like sephora and free large size samples nars new lover, sheisido red whatever whatever, birthday freebies, promo codes. i only shop sephora a few times a year, but when i do.. *pets the nars pencil* my ownnn... my preshusss...

Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    You know, just bein' an old hippie and all, you don't need any of it.

Brush your teeth with strawberries - makes them whiter and your lips look more pronounced.
    Blueberry juice on your lips will stain nicely. And will look more purple than blue.
    Cornstarch absorbs oil on the skin for a nice matte finish.
    Vaseline makes eyelashes look longer.
    A piece of charcoal - rub with your finger, then smudge your eyes.

I'm 99% kidding of course. I always figured that for the really expensive stuff, you're paying a lot for packaging. Plus I'm a cheapskate. (Who might just splurge for the gold mascara and lipstick.)
    i don't want to be THAT much of a hippie quit scaring me. next you'll be saying i could use cocoa powder for bronzer. I DON'T LIKE SMELLING CHOCOLATE YOU EVIL WOMAN

yeah, The Brand is the majority of the cost, which is why tarte eye stuff and urban decay are really my only main higher end weakness. too faced has a mascara out in a pink metal tube called better than sex. it's like they're daring me not to get it. they know i have a weakness for dirty cosmetic names

but drew barrymore created a makeup line using high end ingredients, but keeping the items affordable by having it be a walmart only line & using absolutely zero marketing for the first year. it never showed up at my walmart and i didn't feel like ordering online to try it out so i don't know how it is

my walmart also doesn't stock the first books in a series, only the second

frustration
    beautiful
    yeah you are

Quote Originally Posted by drssgchic View Post
    Well, it is gold. That makes it worth it

I have some very nice Arbonne makeup that I don't use, but I've started picking up the super cheap stuff at the grocery store so I can just play with crazy colors. I did pink eyeshadow the other day. I would never spend Arbonne kinda money on pink.
    wet n wild

was it wet n wild?

get wet n wild

you want wet n wild
    beautiful
    yeah you are

drssgchic is offline Senior Member
    Ugh- I hate it when libraries and bookstores don't have book one! Don't they know how much you miss when you start in the middle?!

I have no idea- it was the super cheap stuff on an end display. 18 or so colors for a couple of bucks. So it's probably all made with lead and arsenic. The up side of that being that lead poisoning makes you pretty before it kills you
    http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    I wore that Jordana Lip stain chubby pencil (Twist and Shine Moisturizing Balm Stain) last night to a birthday party for my step-brother-in-law, and much to my surprise... when I got home after several hours and drinking a couple of beers MY LIPS WERE STILL STAINED the dark nudy pinkish color and still slightly moist!
    I was shocked. I didn't reapply the whole time, though I was dotting some sort of sparkly golden gloss over it on occasion because it's summer and golden sparkly is a thing I like in summer.
    It's a darker color than I normally wear evidently because husband noticed it... but it looks nice on me. The color looks very similar to others I have in glosses, it's just more pigmented.

The pencil also has very little smell. Kind of a slight sweetness.
    It's a little sticky for the first few minutes, but then settles in to what I find is a comfortable lightly shiny, moisturizing, feel.
    It's a win IMO.
    I will probably try some other colors... they have a nude, a terra cotta, and a coral that might work for me... though I worry about brightness on the coral, and the terra cotta might be a bit too dark and just for "big nights out". For 2.99 I'll probably try them anyway.
    Last edited by cori93437; 08-17-2013 at 12:40 PM.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.